2.82 / LSAT....?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tt302

2.82 / LSAT....?

Postby tt302 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Here's the deal.

I want to go to Georgetown Law for their JD/MAAS program. I know the responses posted below will be something like, "Unless you get a 175+ on the LSAT, you have no chance," or "Georgetown is a TTT, you should give up on life." Well, I'm working on the LSAT thing (I took the LSAT in December, 2009 with a 170. I'll bring it up over the next year...hopefully).

I have an undergrad GPA of 2.82, mostly A's and B's, but I was sick (I was going through being diagnosed with an auto-immune disease that is now in remission) for two terms that brought my overall GPA down. I retook all the classes, and once again received A's and B's. Without that semester, my GPA is about a 3.4. (I'm also non-URM and female.)

P.S. I also worked two jobs (full-time) in undergrad, nothing fancy--just retail and coffee.
---
I also have a Masters degree from an unknown, small school. I published my thesis (related to Middle Eastern Studies), presented at prestigious university, and graduated with a 3.8 GPA. I've also taught an undergraduate religion course and five English courses as an adjunct.
----
Fast Forward.
I'm now at Cornell, finishing (another) graduate program in Biological and Environmental Engineering. I'm looking at water issues in the Middle East and will be working in Amman with an NGO next year. I will be taking classes at the law school next semester, and want to continue working on international water law. with a focus in Arab studies.
---
I know IU-Bloomington does some work with water law, and Cornell does, too. However, I really want to continue my studies with working in the Middle East, and Georgetown has a great reputation in this.
---
Given the fact that I'll be about 30-31 when I apply, is it humanely possible to counter-balance my GPA from 10 years ago? I think I've done a pretty adequate job of showing that I'm more than my GPA.

Any other schools that I should look into that would fit my interests (and provide me with a semi-lucrative career that would enable me to pay back the law school debt I'm bound to acquire)?

Anything else I should be doing? Sacrificing a first-born to the LSAC gods? Persuading sexually-repressed admissions officers with my "dazzling wit(s)"?

Have at it.

Adjudicator

Re: 2.82 / LSAT....?

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:30 pm

tt302 wrote:Here's the deal.

I want to go to Georgetown Law for their JD/MAAS program. I know the responses posted below will be something like, "Unless you get a 175+ on the LSAT, you have no chance," or "Georgetown is a TTT, you should give up on life." Well, I'm working on the LSAT thing (I took the LSAT in December, 2009 with a 170. I'll bring it up over the next year...hopefully).

I have an undergrad GPA of 2.82, mostly A's and B's, but I was sick (I was going through being diagnosed with an auto-immune disease that is now in remission) for two terms that brought my overall GPA down. I retook all the classes, and once again received A's and B's. Without that semester, my GPA is about a 3.4. (I'm also non-URM and female.)

P.S. I also worked two jobs (full-time) in undergrad, nothing fancy--just retail and coffee.
---
I also have a Masters degree from an unknown, small school. I published my thesis (related to Middle Eastern Studies), presented at prestigious university, and graduated with a 3.8 GPA. I've also taught an undergraduate religion course and five English courses as an adjunct.
----
Fast Forward.
I'm now at Cornell, finishing (another) graduate program in Biological and Environmental Engineering. I'm looking at water issues in the Middle East and will be working in Amman with an NGO next year. I will be taking classes at the law school next semester, and want to continue working on international water law. with a focus in Arab studies.
---
I know IU-Bloomington does some work with water law, and Cornell does, too. However, I really want to continue my studies with working in the Middle East, and Georgetown has a great reputation in this.
---
Given the fact that I'll be about 30-31 when I apply, is it humanely possible to counter-balance my GPA from 10 years ago? I think I've done a pretty adequate job of showing that I'm more than my GPA.

Any other schools that I should look into that would fit my interests (and provide me with a semi-lucrative career that would enable me to pay back the law school debt I'm bound to acquire)?

Anything else I should be doing? Sacrificing a first-born to the LSAC gods? Persuading sexually-repressed admissions officers with my "dazzling wit(s)"?

Have at it.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
tt302 wrote:Here's the deal.

---
----
Fast Forward.
---
---

Have at it.

This.

While I think that being 10+ years removed from UG with a targeted interest (and experience to prove that interest) will help, you will still have to kill the LSAT to stand a chance with that GPA. :| Sorry!

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Get a 170+ LSAT and ED to GULC or NU next year.

tt302

Postby tt302 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:53 pm

im_blue wrote:Get a 170+ LSAT and ED to GULC or NU next year.

I'm not applying next year. It would be the year after that, most likely. I could apply ED to NU, since I'm in IL resident and have the work experience. I've already received a 170 on my LSAT, but I'm working for a higher score. However, I'd really prefer a program that has the focus I want, and I haven't seen a lot from NU that would offer this.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:59 pm

You want to go to Georgetown so you can study Middle Eastern water law? Do you ever want to get a job or do you want to just keep collecting degrees?

tt302

Postby tt302 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:You want to go to Georgetown so you can study Middle Eastern water law? Do you ever want to get a job or do you want to just keep collecting degrees?

Ha. Water law and working with water scarcity issues in the middle east. It is a pretty big field within environmental work, and although it might not be something that gets me "big law" jobs, it would be nice to work with an NGO internationally.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:31 pm

tt302 wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:You want to go to Georgetown so you can study Middle Eastern water law? Do you ever want to get a job or do you want to just keep collecting degrees?

Ha. Water law and working with water scarcity issues in the middle east. It is a pretty big field within environmental work, and although it might not be something that gets me "big law" jobs, it would be nice to work with an NGO internationally.

Do you actually need a JD to work in this field? For example, my Middle Eastern studies professor in college focused extensively in international and comparative law, but did not have a JD. Rather, he had a Ph.D. in the subject. Not to assume you haven't, but I would make sure that this is a necessary degree to have.

magicman554

Postby magicman554 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:36 pm

I actually think you have a great shot, especially if you improve on the LSAT and apply early in the cycle. Like, as soon as the application becomes available.

Law schools tend to put less emphasis on GPA if you've been out of school for years. Plus, you can give a good explanation as to why it was that low. I think they'll also like that your interests are very specific, and if you can show why you think GULC is the best place to study this stuff, then I'd say you've got a very good chance.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:09 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:
tt302 wrote:

Do you actually need a JD to work in this field? For example, my Middle Eastern studies professor in college focused extensively in international and comparative law, but did not have a JD. Rather, he had a Ph.D. in the subject. Not to assume you haven't, but I would make sure that this is a necessary degree to have.

I was also wondering about this...?

Return to “What are my chances?”