Fordham PT Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
gerbil12

New

Fordham PT

Post by gerbil12 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:50 am

158 and 3.94

tesoro

Bronze

Re: Fordham PT

Post by tesoro » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Not so hot, but worth a try. I don't remember a ton of splitters being admitted, and when they were they were high on the LSAT and low on the rest... try retaking that LSAT if you're set on F.

gerbil12

New

Post by gerbil12 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Do you attend Fordham? My standardized test scores (i.e. SAT) were on the lower end in comparison to other students at my college, but were not a predictor of how well I did as an undergraduate. Do you think an addendum explaining this helps in addition to a hopefully strong personal statement and other supplementary materials?

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Sorry to be blunt, but I think they'll know you can do well by your 3.98.

The LSAT is very learnable. How long did you prepare for the LSAT the first time? Maybe with some more studying you can do significantly better.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:32 pm

gerbil12 wrote:Do you attend Fordham? My standardized test scores (i.e. SAT) were on the lower end in comparison to other students at my college, but were not a predictor of how well I did as an undergraduate. Do you think an addendum explaining this helps in addition to a hopefully strong personal statement and other supplementary materials?
Yeah. I attend Fordham. I don't think your addendum will be strong enough. 100% of law students assess their personal statements to be "strong." Everyone and their dog who has a substantially below-median number will be submitting addendums. Unfortunately, these only matter at the margins. Your addendum might help if Fordham was in a position where they had to choose between two people with your statistics. They really don't. It's an incredibly popular school and their numbers get more competitive every year. Your LSAT score simply is not competitive. There are a few outliers with numbers similar to yours, but they seem to be URMs.

It's a numbers game. US News controls 99% of law school admissions decisions. You've got the GPA, and now you need at least a LSAT in the ballpark of the 166 median fordham currently controls to have a great chance of getting in. Shoot for a 163 or so and your options are going to expand dramatically (as in, you might still get waitlisted from Fordham without a 165+, but you might get into a T14 with a 163 and that monster of a GPA you have).

Sorry if this is extremely blunt, just trying to be real with you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gerbil12

New

Post by gerbil12 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 pm

I understand..no need to apologize. I prepped for a long period of time for the LSAT and did as many practice tests and drills as possible, but unfortunately the results did not come out the way I had hoped.

I know the median for full time is 166, but isnt the median for part time lower?

Also, do you think my scores would be more in the ballpark of cardozo or brooklyn? or is that even out of reach?

Thanks

DrackedaryMaster

Bronze

Post by DrackedaryMaster » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:46 pm

gerbil12 wrote:I understand..no need to apologize. I prepped for a long period of time for the LSAT and did as many practice tests and drills as possible, but unfortunately the results did not come out the way I had hoped.

I know the median for full time is 166, but isnt the median for part time lower?

Also, do you think my scores would be more in the ballpark of cardozo or brooklyn? or is that even out of reach?

Thanks
Unfortunately, in their infinite wisdom, USN&WR decided it was best to group PT stats with FT stats in considering the overall rank, rather than the PT program separately. That means lower numbers in the PT programs will have a negative effect on the rankings for schools like GT, GW, and Fordham. To counter this, they started cutting the number of admitted part time students and raising the part-time medians substantially to more near the FT numbers. I was possibly interested in Fordham PT myself, but at my numbers which would have been very good in previous cycles is WL at best this year. Your only chance here is to retake.

Your most likely out at Cardozo, with a slight chance at Brookyln, but forget both of them. They might be good schools for the NYC area, but their nowhere near worth paying sticker price for which is what you'd be doing even if you got into them. If you don't want to retake and decide to play the "scholly curve lottery", good luck.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:21 pm

DrackedaryMaster wrote: Your most likely out at Cardozo, with a slight chance at Brookyln, but forget both of them. They might be good schools for the NYC area
Not in this economy they aren't.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:00 am

Medians are 3.62/166 FT and 3.52/164 PT, so you're out.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:07 pm

gerbil12 wrote:I understand..no need to apologize. I prepped for a long period of time for the LSAT and did as many practice tests and drills as possible, but unfortunately the results did not come out the way I had hoped.

Thanks
I'll echo the above posters in noting that your inclination about part-time competitiveness is incorrect. I was admitted early in last year's cycle with lower-end numbers. My admissions letter said I would be one of 160 evening students. Sometime in February or March, Fordham realized they were getting screwed by USNWR for their admission of lower-end applicants into the evening program, and cut out any additional fat by enrolling only 80 of us. This year, there won't be that honeymoon period. I would be absolutely shocked if the evening program medians were not identical to the full-time medians.

As per the LSAT, maybe you studied "wrong." If you tanked one particular section, try to think outside the box on ways to improve it. The LSAT forum on TLS is a good place to get some fresh insight. I don't have a ton of advice here, other than I "plateaued" at 162. I put off the exam for an additional year thinking there was a good chance my score wouldnt improve, but I wouldn't want to attend a school that would accept me with a 162 anyway since I had a good enough job at the time. For some inexplicable reason, maybe just sheer persistence, in my last month of studying I jumped to 165 and stayed there. That barely eeked me into Fordham.

I don't know anything about Cardozo or BLS, other than that their graduates are by and large unable to get desirable legal work. If I were faced with only those two options, I would not have attended law school at all. But that's a personal choice. You should check LSN for additional information about their admissions standards. If you fall in a sea of green, you're good. If not, you're probably toast.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”