strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
csgwu1988
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 am

strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby csgwu1988 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:51 am

I am a transfer student, at my first school (a top 60 LAC), I have a 1.7 my first semester, and a 3.45 the next 3 semesters. I am now at George Washington and have a 3.74 GPA, 166 LSAT score. So, my cumulative GPA is still low, but there has been positive improvement since I started college. I'm an economics major, if that changes anything. What range of schools should I be realistically looking at?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:58 am

csgwu1988 wrote:I'm an economics major, if that changes anything.


It doesn't. Your chances all depend on your LSAC GPA. An upward trend is a good soft factor, but a low GPA is still a low GPA. You can use the calculator at this link to determine you current cumulative GPA:

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

bobthebuilder
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby bobthebuilder » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 am

calculate your LSAC GPA on the site provided then you can even use the predictor on the same site to see roughly what your chances are at a top 100 school. I'd encourage you try as hard as you can to get some A+'s to help boost your GPA. Good luck

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:35 am

Whats your LSAC GPA?

User avatar
4for44
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby 4for44 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:00 am

bobthebuilder wrote:calculate your LSAC GPA on the site provided then you can even use the predictor on the same site to see roughly what your chances are at a top 100 school. I'd encourage you try as hard as you can to get some A+'s to help boost your GPA. Good luck


No such thing as A+'s at GW... gotta love it... :(

User avatar
$1.99
Posts: 684
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby $1.99 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:03 am

stop trying to hide your shameful LSAC gpa if you want help

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:03 am

4for44 wrote:
bobthebuilder wrote:calculate your LSAC GPA on the site provided then you can even use the predictor on the same site to see roughly what your chances are at a top 100 school. I'd encourage you try as hard as you can to get some A+'s to help boost your GPA. Good luck


No such thing as A+'s at GW... gotta love it... :(


Not at mine either, most schools honestly dont do it. Some do (lucky).

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:44 am

csgwu1988 wrote:I am a transfer student, at my first school (a top 60 LAC), I have a 1.7 my first semester, and a 3.45 the next 3 semesters. I am now at George Washington and have a 3.74 GPA, 166 LSAT score. So, my cumulative GPA is still low, but there has been positive improvement since I started college. I'm an economics major, if that changes anything. What range of schools should I be realistically looking at?

How low?

csgwu1988
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 am

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby csgwu1988 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:59 pm

3.44

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:23 pm

csgwu1988 wrote:3.44


That's a very workable LSAC GPA. Depending on your goals, you may want to retake the LSAT. Where are you looking to apply/ultimately end up?

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:03 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
csgwu1988 wrote:3.44


That's a very workable LSAC GPA. Depending on your goals, you may want to retake the LSAT. Where are you looking to apply/ultimately end up?

Yeah, that's not too bad, OP. You might want to consider delaying your graduation by a year and taking some cream puff classes to pad your GPA. For instance, in the spring, register for a bunch of easy classes and don't take a requirement for graduation. You can do the same thing in the fall and update the law schools with your grades after Christmas. Then finally take that last requirement next spring, and you can pad your GPA a tad.

Other than that, retake the LSAT.

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:31 pm

csgwu1988 wrote:3.44


Retake LSAT. Score 176. ED Columbia. Profit...maybe.

MW

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:35 pm

MysticalWheel wrote:
csgwu1988 wrote:3.44


Retake LSAT. Score 176. ED ColumbiaNYU. Profit...maybe.

MW


Columbia has standards.

User avatar
MysticalWheel
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby MysticalWheel » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
MysticalWheel wrote:
csgwu1988 wrote:3.44


Retake LSAT. Score 176. ED ColumbiaNYU. Profit...maybe.

MW


Columbia has standards.


Lol- good catch.

MW

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby JusticeHarlan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:35 pm

csgwu1988 wrote:3.44

I think 3.44/166 were my exact stats when I applied (GPA swung with senior year classes, but I didn't update transcripts till most decisions had been made anyways).

What schools you should be looking at will depend on where you want to practice, because at that level all schools are pretty regional. The range you should be looking at is those with an LSAT median at or below 166 - you won't be getting into any better ones. You'll probably get a ton of waitlists until you hit schools with a lower LSAT median because your GPA will be below theirs, but that's where you should start looking.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: strange undergrad - what school should I look at

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:15 am

With a 3.44/166, you should aim for schools in the range of BU, BC, Fordham, and Emory.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: EncyclopediaOrange, jjcorvino and 1 guest