Once more unto the breach

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Guicciardini

Once more unto the breach

Postby Guicciardini » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:14 am

So, I'm UChicago Undergrad Class of 2009, double major in History and Economics.

My digits are
LSAT 169
3.42 Overall GPA (Honors)
3.85 First Major GPA (Special Honors in History)
3.2 Second Major GPA

I separate these out, for those not familiar with Chicago, because of the school's idiosyncratic curriculum. Namely, most non-Chicago History majors don't spend a year taking physics, for example.

Anyway, last year I submitted apps to 10 out of the T14 schools.

My results were Reserved at CLS, and wait-listed at UChicago, Michigan, and UCLA. My only safety, Fordham, I got into but I had to put them off, and as a result, never matriculated. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough movement off the wait lists at any of the four to take me.

I feel I should point out that I only applied in the second half of January, so my applications weren't even considered until after Feb 1.

This year, I decided to reapply ED to CLS, since it's my top choice. I've been complete at CLS since the first half of October. In addition to my updated application, (I'm a full-time Financial Analyst these days), I have added two new LOR, one from a professor at CLS and another from a major donor to Columbia. Finally, I wrote a new supplemental essay explicitly regarding my disability, which I had neglected to do last year because of my embarrassment discussing the situation.

I was wondering, in light of having been wait listed last year despite applying abominably late, whether people thought that this year I had a good shot at getting in.

CLS is far and away my first choice, so I'm really hoping...

Note: I should also point out that my original LOR were killer, but I'd rather not go into why

whymeohgodno

Re: Once more unto the breach

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:18 am

You won't get in this year even with ED and an early app.

Just wondering did you throw an app to Cornell last year?

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:44 am

whymeohgodno wrote:You won't get in this year even with ED and an early app.

Just wondering did you throw an app to Cornell last year?

No, that was actually one of the ones I didn't do.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:04 pm

Also from what I hear Columbia waitlists almost anyone. I wouldn't expect much with your numbers there.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:36 pm

Retake. Your GPA is below median (actually, below the 25%) at every T14. It doesn't really matter where you went to undergrad. Your 169 might get you in at Cornell and Michigan, but none of the other top schools. You're very much out at Columbia, even with ED. You would need a 175 to have a shot at CLS.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:58 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Retake. Your GPA is below median (actually, below the 25%) at every T14. It doesn't really matter where you went to undergrad. Your 169 might get you in at Cornell and Michigan, but none of the other top schools. You're very much out at Columbia, even with ED. You would need a 175 to have a shot at CLS.

+Virginia

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Fresh wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:Retake. Your GPA is below median (actually, below the 25%) at every T14. It doesn't really matter where you went to undergrad. Your 169 might get you in at Cornell and Michigan, but none of the other top schools. You're very much out at Columbia, even with ED. You would need a 175 to have a shot at CLS.

+Virginia

?

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:54 pm

That's really what I thought. Thanks!

Return to “What are my chances?”