166 / 3.6

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
tmatsushita
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:16 pm

166 / 3.6

Postby tmatsushita » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:58 am

Hi guys, I checked out all the online sources (law school predictor, LSN, and Hourumd) but I just want TLS's input on my chances on these schools. I'm applying for 2012-2013, but I already took the LSAT and I'm planning on applying on the first day they accept applications:

Cornell (EA)
Georgetown (PT) (ED?)
Vanderbilt
Texas (EA)
UCLA
USC
GWU
Notre Dame
Wash U
BC (EA)
Illinois
BU
Emory
W&M
Washington
Fordham (EA)
UC Davis
UC Hastings

Thanks!
Last edited by tmatsushita on Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmatsushita
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby tmatsushita » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:03 am

I'm also not considering retaking the LSAT. I think that was the best I could do...

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:41 am

No chance:
Cornell (EA)
Georgetown (PT) (ED?)
Vanderbilt
Texas (EA)
UCLA
USC
GWU
Wash U

Slim chance:
Illinois
Notre Dame

Good chance:
BC (EA)
BU
Emory
W&M
Fordham (EA)

Safety:
Washington
UC Davis
UC Hastings
Last edited by im_blue on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calihopeful
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:00 am

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby calihopeful » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:28 pm

agree with above but i think its worth an app at USC, ILL, Wash U

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby stratocophic » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:32 pm

calihopeful wrote:agree with above but i think its worth an app at USC, ILL, Wash U
Below both medians; no chance. Not sure about USC, but the other two are very numbers-driven. Close =/= having a shot

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:42 pm

USC 3.64 / 167

Out fo sho

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby czelede » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:19 pm

I feel like sometimes TLS can be too pessimistic. My cousin's cycle last year was with exactly identical numbers - in off the WL at GTown, in at WUSTL, Notre Dame, in with $$ at Illinois, WL at Fordham. I'd apply to all on your list minus maybe Cornell if I were you.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:24 pm

czelede wrote:I feel like sometimes TLS can be too pessimistic. My cousin's cycle last year was with exactly identical numbers - in off the WL at GTown, in at WUSTL, Notre Dame, in with $$ at Illinois, WL at Fordham. I'd apply to all on your list minus maybe Cornell if I were you.


Your cousin got into Gtown off WL witha 166/3.6? Did he have great softs?

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby thecilent » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:28 pm

czelede wrote:I feel like sometimes TLS can be too pessimistic. My cousin's cycle last year was with exactly identical numbers - in off the WL at GTown, in at WUSTL, Notre Dame, in with $$ at Illinois, WL at Fordham. I'd apply to all on your list minus maybe Cornell if I were you.


urm?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:22 pm

im_blue wrote:No chance:
Cornell (EA)
Georgetown (PT) (ED?)
Vanderbilt
Texas (EA)
UCLA
USC
GWU
Wash U

Slim chance:
Illinois
Notre Dame

Good chance:
BC (EA)
BU
Emory
W&M
Fordham (EA)

Safety:
Washington
UC Davis
UC Hastings


You're a being a bit pessimistic for GWU and Wash U. GWU is a likely waitlist, but not an autoreject. Wash U is on the cusp between WL and in. Both are worth the application fees.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:07 am

HeavenWood wrote:
im_blue wrote:No chance:
Cornell (EA)
Georgetown (PT) (ED?)
Vanderbilt
Texas (EA)
UCLA
USC
GWU
Wash U

Slim chance:
Illinois
Notre Dame

Good chance:
BC (EA)
BU
Emory
W&M
Fordham (EA)

Safety:
Washington
UC Davis
UC Hastings


You're a being a bit pessimistic for GWU and Wash U. GWU is a likely waitlist, but not an autoreject. Wash U is on the cusp between WL and in. Both are worth the application fees.

GW didn't take a single sub-3.8/166 on LSN last year: http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/applican ... ,8&type=jd

Similarly, WUSTL didn't take a single sub-3.68/166 last year (the single "accepted" profile fudged her numbers): http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/appli ... ,8&type=jd

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby FuManChusco » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:09 am

im_blue wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
im_blue wrote:No chance:
Cornell (EA)
Georgetown (PT) (ED?)
Vanderbilt
Texas (EA)
UCLA
USC
GWU
Wash U

Slim chance:
Illinois
Notre Dame

Good chance:
BC (EA)
BU
Emory
W&M
Fordham (EA)

Safety:
Washington
UC Davis
UC Hastings


You're a being a bit pessimistic for GWU and Wash U. GWU is a likely waitlist, but not an autoreject. Wash U is on the cusp between WL and in. Both are worth the application fees.

GW didn't take a single sub-3.8/166 on LSN last year: http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/applican ... ,8&type=jd

Similarly, WUSTL didn't take a single sub-3.68/166 last year (the single "accepted" profile fudged her numbers): http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/appli ... ,8&type=jd
'

yeah, both of those schools are LSAT whores and a 166 just doesn't cut it. 167 on the other hand....

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:15 am

.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:21 am

FuManChusco wrote:yeah, both of those schools are LSAT whores and a 166 just doesn't cut it. 167 on the other hand....


Provided you have a high GPA, a 166 can easily cut it. Wash U isn't like Emory or USC, where you see complete walls of yellow and red just left of the median.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:40 am

HeavenWood wrote:
im_blue wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:You're a being a bit pessimistic for GWU and Wash U. GWU is a likely waitlist, but not an autoreject. Wash U is on the cusp between WL and in. Both are worth the application fees.

GW didn't take a single sub-3.8/166 on LSN last year: http://gw.lawschoolnumbers.com/applican ... ,8&type=jd

Similarly, WUSTL didn't take a single sub-3.68/166 last year (the single "accepted" profile fudged her numbers): http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/appli ... ,8&type=jd


According to LSN, a 3.69 and a 3.70 with a 166 were accepted to Wash U. Is a 3.68 that much worse? It's not like LSN paints a perfect picture.

That's not surprising since WUSTL's median GPA is 3.70. A 3.6/166 is numerically close to 3.70 but for WUSTL it might as well be a 3.0. Nothing wrong with applying to a bunch of reaches, as long as one is realistic about the chances.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:44 am

.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmatsushita
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby tmatsushita » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:54 am

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I guess law school predictor is getting pretty optimistic these days.
I'm pretty set for BU or BC. I've heard that BC is tougher to get into than BU even though their medians (for GPAs at least) are lower. Can anyone tell me why?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby im_blue » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:59 am

tmatsushita wrote:Thanks everyone for your opinions! I guess law school predictor is getting pretty optimistic these days.
I'm pretty set for BU or BC. I've heard that BC is tougher to get into than BU even though their medians (for GPAs at least) are lower. Can anyone tell me why?

Dunno if BU or BC is harder with your numbers, but one explanation could be that BC has an 18% yield (percentage of admits who enroll) and 20% acceptance rate, compared to BU's 15% yield and 24% acceptance rate. Basically BC can afford to take fewer applicants to fill their class (with a similar class size), because a higher percentage of them will attend.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:02 am

im_blue wrote:
tmatsushita wrote:Thanks everyone for your opinions! I guess law school predictor is getting pretty optimistic these days.
I'm pretty set for BU or BC. I've heard that BC is tougher to get into than BU even though their medians (for GPAs at least) are lower. Can anyone tell me why?

Dunno if BU or BC is harder with your numbers, but one explanation could be that BC has an 18% yield (percentage of admits who enroll) and 20% acceptance rate, compared to BU's 15% yield and 24% acceptance rate. Basically BC can afford to take fewer applicants to fill their class (with a similar class size), because a higher percentage of them will attend.


BC tends to yield protect, but provided you took the application seriously (IE, did the optional essay), that should not apply to you. I would assume most yellow blips above the semi-rigid 3.6/166 cut-offs were YP WL'd.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 166 / 3.6

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:04 am

HeavenWood wrote:
im_blue wrote:
tmatsushita wrote:Thanks everyone for your opinions! I guess law school predictor is getting pretty optimistic these days.
I'm pretty set for BU or BC. I've heard that BC is tougher to get into than BU even though their medians (for GPAs at least) are lower. Can anyone tell me why?

Dunno if BU or BC is harder with your numbers, but one explanation could be that BC has an 18% yield (percentage of admits who enroll) and 20% acceptance rate, compared to BU's 15% yield and 24% acceptance rate. Basically BC can afford to take fewer applicants to fill their class (with a similar class size), because a higher percentage of them will attend.


BC tends to yield protect, but provided you took the application seriously (IE, did the optional essay), that should not apply to you. I would assume most yellow blips above the semi-rigid 3.6/166 cut-offs were YP WL'd.


I heard BC YP's also.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests