What is my chance of getting into Berkeley?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Xnegd

What is my chance of getting into Berkeley?

Postby Xnegd » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:52 am

162 - 3.5 (from Berkeley)

Yep, I know - gpa & score score is killing me, but Berkeley is my first choice, so I will pray.

So here my full app so as for you to asses:

-Major: Poly Sci

-MBA from Trinity College Dublin - a very prestigious school, 400 years old, whose program is ranked 20th in the world.

-An addendum showing I can't retake the LSAT due to being in Ireland (no test center), and having midterms and finals on the days of next couples tests (I'd have to fly to London). I also have an Addendum showing I had a flesh eating virus the day of my last exam (hence 162 opposed to my predicted 170), complete with doctors note & pictures to show it is not b.s., and that not other people were put at harm with me at the test center.

-4 pg personal statement, centered around how Berkeley is my first choice and my decision stems from personal knowledge of two of their law professors with whom I am very, very eager to study under. Also talking about my time as a professional dancer, in hopes of showing diversity.

Softs:

4 years experience working in a law firm dealing with contracts.

2x student ambassador to the US

A list of 13 volunteer organizations I volunteered with regularly - mostly dealing with children from rural areas.

Do I have a shot?

(I also ED-ed to UCLA, but with my number I'm positive I don't have a shot. Is this correct?)
Last edited by Xnegd on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arism87

Re: What is my chance of getting into Berkeley?

Postby arism87 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:32 am

Xnegd wrote:162 - 3.5 (from Berkeley)

Yep, I know - gpa & score score is killing me, but Berkeley is my first choice, so I will pray.

So here my full app so as for you to asses:

-Major: Poly Sci

-MBA from Trinity College Dublin - a very prestigious school, 400 years old, whose program is ranked 20th in the world.

-An addendum showing I can't retake the LSAT due to being in Ireland (no test center), and having midterms and finals during the next couples tests. I also have an Addendum showing I had a flesh eating virus the day of my last exam (hence 162 opposed to my predicted 170), complete with doctors note & pictures to show it is not b.s., and that not other people were put at harm with me at the test center.

-4 pg personal statement, centered around how Berkeley is my first choice and my decision stems from personal knowledge of two of their law professors with whom I am very, very eager to study under. Also talking about my time as a professional dancer, in hopes of showing diversity.

Softs:

4 years experience working in a law firm dealing with contracts.

2x student ambassador to the US

A list of 13 volunteer organizations I volunteered with regularly - mostly dealing with children from rural areas.

Do I have a shot?

(I also ED-ed to UCLA, but with my number I'm positive I don't have a shot. Is this correct?)

Sorry, I don't think it's going to happen for you, your numbers will keep you out. Wait until you can retake and apply again :(

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 am

If you truly can't retake, you're going to have to set your sights a lot lower. You're well below the 25% for both Berkley and UCLA.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:40 am

Yea...I thought so. Thanks

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:36 am

Retake and apply next cycle...
Also the lsat addendum sounds immature, "couldn't" take due to finals... there were plenty of chances. The flesh eating virus part is good though... if you really can get up into the 170s, retake.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:47 am

Sorry, you don't have a shot really. Retake.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:13 pm

0.05%

ohlawl

Postby ohlawl » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:33 pm

Berkeley HATES having the same students for undergrad and grad school. So if that policy extends to Boalt, I'm sorry but you'll never get in.

broker02

Postby broker02 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:28 pm

edit
Last edited by broker02 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:29 pm

broker02 wrote:How about a 3.91/161 with fairly good softs? Got the "under review" email this week.

Berkeley likes high GPAs but with that LSAT I would think you would need spectacular softs to get in.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:31 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
broker02 wrote:How about a 3.91/161 with fairly good softs? Got the "under review" email this week.

Berkeley likes high GPAs but with that LSAT I would think you would need spectacular softs to get in.

Right. Berkeley's 25th LSAT is a 163 though, so a 161 isn't that low for Boalt.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:37 pm

irishman86 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Right. Berkeley's 25th LSAT is a 163 though, so a 161 isn't that low for Boalt.

His GPA is way too low as well.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Dear lord, you sent them pictures of whatever effects a flesh eating virus has? Disgusting.

No, we do not want to see them [either].

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:55 pm

eskimo wrote:Dear lord, you sent them pictures of whatever effects a flesh eating virus has? Disgusting.

Haha...just noticed this. HOF OP if this is a flame.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:58 pm

eskimo wrote:Dear lord, you sent them pictures of whatever effects a flesh eating virus has? Disgusting.

Way to take a score addendum seriously lol.

But in reality you are not getting into Berkley or UCLA or anywhere else worth going, unless you retake and get a serious improvement on your score.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:00 pm

LOL, I didn't send them the pictures actually...well I did and I didn't. I sent them to Dean Tom in August and asked his advice due to shock of the score I got, and how deeply I wanted to go to Berkeley. He quickly sent me back a very polite e-mail and told me to write an addendum, but for the love of god to keep the pictures out.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Xnegd wrote:I sent them to Dean Tom in August

:shock:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:03 pm

wow

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Xnegd wrote:

LOL, I didn't send them the pictures actually...well I did and I didn't. I sent them to Dean Tom in August and asked his advice due to shock of the score I got, and how deeply I wanted to go to Berkeley. He quickly sent me back a very polite e-mail and told me to write an addendum, but for the love of god to keep the pictures out.

This is deeply disturbing.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:06 pm

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:06 pm

eskimo wrote:

:shock:

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:08 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Xnegd wrote:

This is deeply disturbing.

Okay, okay - it's not as weird as you think. I was asking a professor for advice who I very much look up to at Berkeley and had given him my addendum, who was friends with Tom and sent it to him, who then contacted me.

I'm bold, but not that bold.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:14 pm

ohlawl wrote:Berkeley HATES having the same students for undergrad and grad school. So if that policy extends to Boalt, I'm sorry but you'll never get in.

Doesn't apply to Boalt. We have quite a few UCB U/Gs in c/o 2012. And you can see it's one of the most prevalent schools in c/o 2013 here: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/37.htm

Still doesn't mean it'll benefit OP, just wanted to correct potential misinfo.

Xnegd

Postby Xnegd » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:24 pm

Rotor wrote:
ohlawl wrote:Berkeley HATES having the same students for undergrad and grad school. So if that policy extends to Boalt, I'm sorry but you'll never get in.

Doesn't apply to Boalt. We have quite a few UCB U/Gs in c/o 2012. And you can see it's one of the most prevalent schools in c/o 2013 here: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/37.htm

Still doesn't mean it'll benefit OP, just wanted to correct potential misinfo.

Thanks Rotor!

mst

Postby mst » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Who knows dude? You already applied. You're obviously not a rule-out if a professor at the school contacted the dean personally for you, but again, who knows?. Just looking at your numbers this would be a rule out, but that's why they have personal statements. The bigger question is "Why can't he just wait a year and take the LSAT then?" Law school isn't a now or never thing. I don't understand how people can keep sending in LSAT addendum's when they only take the test once...

Return to “What are my chances?”