[deleted]

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
whymeohgodno

Re: 3.43 170 - Chance at MVP/low T14?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:07 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:But UVA is awesome. I mean we all suspected it was a numbers game but their blatant gaming of the medians just confirms it. They have to be the biggest number whores out of the t14 schools.

Even running the numbers, it's not all just a numbers game. They get about 8,000 applications a year, and I've been told around 4,000 of those are people who are genuinely qualified to attend. There are at this point over 3,000 170+ LSAT scored given out in a year. UVA has only 360 seats; on top of that they have a limitation on the number of out-of-state students they can enroll, constraining their ability to admit the majority of their applicants even further. The out-of-state ratio of applications to seats available is greater than 30-to-1!

Even number-whoring they still need softs to separate out folks with good enough numbers and decide who to admit. It's not numbers over softs, it's numbers plus softs that get you ahead of everyone else with the numbers.

True but it still makes them a huge numbers whore (bigger than most).

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:56 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Veyron wrote:Hey brah, UVA used to be ranked a bit higher than #10.

Yes, and it fell as they drifted from numbers-focused admissions, but since Dean Trujillo took over they've increased their medians and stopped the slide. They're now alone at #10 (which is better than sharing #10 like they were last year) and rightfully in the MVP cluster again.

You blamed their numbers gaming for their falling rankings, but their numbers focus is what's helping them regain their footing, which is almost exactly the opposite of what you had said.

In what world is accepting a 3.43 170 numbers gaming for an MVP?

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:49 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Eh, I guess they are a number (singular) whore because they typically only accept splitters as a method of gaming the rankings, which is why their 25th percentiles, especially the LSAT, is so low. If USNews reverts back to averaging the 25-75, as it did a couple years ago, it might force them to be more holistic again since people with both a good GPA and LSAT are and would be more likely to attend CCN.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:12 am

Veyron wrote:In what world is accepting a 3.43 170 numbers gaming for an MVP?

In a world where they soak up EDs with 170 LSAT scores to hold up their 170 median? That's why ED is critically important, you're a potential value to them if you ED but a risky admit if you apply RD.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:14 am

irishman86 wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Eh, I guess they are a number (singular) whore because they typically only accept splitters as a method of gaming the rankings, which is why their 25th percentiles, especially the LSAT, is so low. If USNews reverts back to averaging the 25-75, as it did a couple years ago, it might force them to be more holistic again since people with both a good GPA and LSAT are and would be more likely to attend CCN.

I'm confused why they don't take the mean of the GPA. I understand why they take the median for the LSAT since it's not a clear interval level variable but still...GPA should be the mean which is taken into consideration.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:17 am

irishman86 wrote:Eh, I guess they are a number (singular) whore because they typically only accept splitters as a method of gaming the rankings, which is why their 25th percentiles, especially the LSAT, is so low. If USNews reverts back to averaging the 25-75, as it did a couple years ago, it might force them to be more holistic again since people with both a good GPA and LSAT are and would be more likely to attend CCN.

Not really, it would just mean more full scholarships instead of YPs for those people, and fewer smaller scholarships (because their scholarship funds are limited) for folks in the median. It'd sort out into number gaming again, just a different kind.

Return to “What are my chances?”