Full Ride

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
guinness

Full Ride

Postby guinness » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:43 pm

With a 3.55 and a Non - URM with very strong softs (advanced degrees from prestigious universities / many years of WE) I am looking to add a JD but do not want to incur any tuition related debt.

What would I need for an LSAT to get into the following schools with a full ride?

- St Johns
- Suffolk
- Seton Hall

Currently PTing in low 160's but gaining rapidly on my weakest section (LG).

angiej

Re: Full Ride

Postby angiej » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:57 pm

guinness wrote:With a 3.55 and a Non - URM with very strong softs (advanced degrees from prestigious universities / many years of WE) I am looking to add a JD but do not want to incur any tuition related debt.

What would I need for an LSAT to get into the following schools with a full ride?

- St Johns
- Suffolk
- Seton Hall

If your looking to apply for fall 2011 admission I'd say you should have taken the October lsat. Most full rides will be given out by the time December LSAT results come back.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:59 pm

General info:

1) A 3.55/160+ can get you merit scholarships at a number of lower-tier schools.

2) Because merit scholarships are based almost fully on GPA/LSAT and your LSAT score will largely determine your scholarship amounts, it's impossible for anyone to give you any practical advice until you have an actual LSAT score.

3) People could give you speculative advice, but it'd be a waste of their time since you could end up with a different LSAT score and not need that advice anyway, and you should be aiming for the highest score possible in any circumstance.

For those reasons you're not likely to get more specific advice than "getting in the 160s can get you scholarship money at some schools, aim for the highest score you can, and ask again where you should apply after you have your score".

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:05 pm

angiej wrote:
guinness wrote:With a 3.55 and a Non - URM with very strong softs (advanced degrees from prestigious universities / many years of WE) I am looking to add a JD but do not want to incur any tuition related debt.

- St Johns
- Suffolk
- Seton Hall

If your looking to apply for fall 2011 admission I'd say you should have taken the October lsat. Most full rides will be given out by the time December LSAT results come back.

Bolded isn't true...many schools don't put together scholarships information until pretty late in the cycle. As an example, I applied everywhere in February, and got a lot of full rides and other scholarships.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
angiej wrote:

- St Johns
- Suffolk
- Seton Hall

Bolded isn't true...many schools don't put together scholarships information until pretty late in the cycle. As an example, I applied everywhere in February, and got a lot of full rides and other scholarships.

A lot of schools only have 2-5 full-rides to pass out. If they've given them all out before OP applies in January, they are gone. The chances of a full ride decrease with each scholarship previously passed out. Its just common sense.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:27 pm

angiej wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
angiej wrote:

- St Johns
- Suffolk
- Seton Hall

A lot of schools only have 2-5 full-rides to pass out. If they've given them all out before OP applies in January, they are gone. The chances of a full ride decrease with each scholarship previously passed out. Its just common sense.

The logic is sound, but the idea that by December/January, your chance at a full ride is shot is still not true. Again, many schools don't even start giving out scholarship info until later in cycle. AND again, I applied Feb 1st 2009 to 20+ schools and got a full ride at all but 5 or 6.

Return to “What are my chances?”