Chances at University of Texas?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
swiftwings88

Chances at University of Texas?

Postby swiftwings88 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 pm

GPA is 3.53 and LSAT is a 165.
Out of state resident (Wisconsin)

Went to school in TX philosophy major.

Marionberry

Re: Chances at University of Texas?

Postby Marionberry » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:43 pm

GPA is below 25th%, and they are serious about their GPAs. Your LSAT is below median, which isn't good enough to get them to overlook the GPA, and being out of state is a mark against you too. I would say your chances are not good.

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:45 pm

I didn't think so. Still its my reach. I suppose my best hope is that they don't get, or haven't gotten, too many Wisconsin applicants.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 pm

Yeah, I hear you because it was my dream school too, and I got dinged via snail mail last week. I don't think being from Wisconsin is going to help you, unfortunately. You should be good anywhere else in the state, though.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:49 pm

sorry dude, ~25th percentile in GPA and LSAT and out of state is an auto-ding

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm not less than 25% on the LSAT at UT

I'm already in at Baylor and I'm still waiting to hear from SMU and UT. I know UT is super highly ranked, but employment prospects are good in the huge texas legal market for any of the top 3 in Texas so it won't bother me too much if I don't get in. Austin and the huge classes and liberal teachers aren't really my thing.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:40 am

swiftwings88 wrote:I'm not less than 25% on the LSAT at UT

I'm already in at Baylor and I'm still waiting to hear from SMU and UT. I know UT is super highly ranked, but employment prospects are good in the huge texas legal market for any of the top 3 in Texas so it won't bother me too much if I don't get in. Austin and the huge classes and liberal teachers aren't really my thing.

First off dont be dissin on Austin, Wayyyy better then wisconsin. Second you wont get in. third baylor has horrible placement even in Texas, and SMU is only a good school if you want to work in Dallas.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:42 am

swiftwings88 wrote:I know UT is super highly ranked, but employment prospects are good in the huge texas legal market for any of the top 3 in Texas so it won't bother me too much if I don't get in. Austin and the huge classes and liberal teachers aren't really my thing.

LOL don't worry, your numbers aren't UT's thing either. And top 3 in Texas are UT, SMU, and UH, not Baylor.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:45 am

im_blue wrote:
swiftwings88 wrote:I know UT is super highly ranked, but employment prospects are good in the huge texas legal market for any of the top 3 in Texas so it won't bother me too much if I don't get in. Austin and the huge classes and liberal teachers aren't really my thing.

LOL don't worry, your numbers aren't UT's thing either. And top 3 in Texas are UT, SMU, and UH, not Baylor.

This depends. I mean Baylor i feel has a better program and is known for producing better lawyers. UH just has the Houston market... which is very nice.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:09 am

jt1341 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

This depends. I mean Baylor i feel has a better program and is known for producing better lawyers. UH just has the Houston market... which is very nice.

Hmm, everything I've read on TLS disagrees though. The consensus seems to be UT, then SMU/UH for Dallas/Houston, then Baylor.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=111569
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106247
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=134940
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111900

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:24 am

im_blue wrote:
jt1341 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Hmm, everything I've read on TLS disagrees though. The consensus seems to be UT, then SMU/UH for Dallas/Houston, then Baylor.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=111569
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106247
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=134940
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111900

First off SMU>>>UH

You may be right. Going to school at UT, and seeing it all from the outside looking in, i feel as though Baylor has a good program and there are a couple Baylor Alum who are attorneys at the law firm i am at (while in undergrad). These alum swear by the Baylor program and make sure to go to Baylor OCI each year.

I am sure there are many UH alum's who feel the same, i just havent met any yet

swiftwings88

Postby swiftwings88 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:39 am

im_blue wrote:

Are you basing that solely on the numerical ranking? You shouldn't do that, employers certainly won't. You know? Getting a job, the point of law school.
jt1341 wrote:
swiftwings88 wrote:I'm not less than 25% on the LSAT at UT

First off dont be dissin on Austin, Wayyyy better then wisconsin. Second you wont get in. third baylor has horrible placement even in Texas, and SMU is only a good school if you want to work in Dallas.

Im not dissing on Austin, I'm merely pointing out that Austin isn't a good fit for me personally. I think its a beautiful city. Why hate on Wisco? Is it because the cowboys lost 45-7? Sorry low blow, haha. Also, I wouldn't mind working in Dallas, lived here for four years and I love it. Furthermore, Baylor does exceptionally well in getting its students hired, especially in litigation. So i don't know where the horrible placement things are coming from.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:55 am

imblue tells it like it is lol.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:18 am

swiftwings88 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Are you basing that solely on the numerical ranking? You shouldn't do that, employers certainly won't. You know? Getting a job, the point of law school.

Absolutely agree, please see page 4 of http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:22 am

im_blue wrote:
swiftwings88 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

Absolutely agree, please see page 4 of http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf.

But look at "% of other firm jobs" many people in texas want these more then BigLaw. also Baylor kicks UH ass at judicial clerkships

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:25 am

Also, semi off topic, but with that same chart why is UVA not listed in the placing into DC? Do they only list a school in their top placing state?

Also how do i read it. Ex. Page 1 shows UVA about 52-53% NLJ 250 in NYC. Does this mean that percent of the graduating class went to NYC biglaw? or that percent went into biglaw and the majority went to NYC

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 am

dude, baylor is a joke of a school, stop making yourself feel better by lying to yourself. close thread.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:49 am

jt1341 wrote:
im_blue wrote:
swiftwings88 wrote:Are you basing that solely on the numerical ranking? You shouldn't do that, employers certainly won't. You know? Getting a job, the point of law school.

But look at "% of other firm jobs" many people in texas want these more then BigLaw. also Baylor kicks UH ass at judicial clerkships

Meh, 58% vs 62% in all firm jobs is yearly fluctuation, but UH places about twice the percentage of their class into biglaw. Also, UH still comes out ahead if you compare the total percentage of biglaw + clerkships.

jt1341 wrote:Also, semi off topic, but with that same chart why is UVA not listed in the placing into DC? Do they only list a school in their top placing state?

Also how do i read it. Ex. Page 1 shows UVA about 52-53% NLJ 250 in NYC. Does this mean that percent of the graduating class went to NYC biglaw? or that percent went into biglaw and the plurality went to NYC

irenic

Postby irenic » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:01 am

From all accounts I've heard Baylor is top notch for advocacy and their alumni are extremely loyal to graduates. I don't get the hate on Baylor, with the exception of the town of Waco and the cost to attend.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 am

i've heard obama only went to harvard, because he got rejected from baylor.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:34 am

Baylor is horrible, I'd rather spend $200k vacationing in the Caribbeans in 3 years. My job prospects would be about the same as spending it on an education in Baylor.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:35 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Baylor is horrible, I'd rather spend $200k vacationing in the Caribbeans in 3 years. My job prospects would be about the same as spending it on an education in Baylor.

Wow, why would you come into a forum and post such a retarded post after not being involved in the conversation at all?

zeke18

Postby zeke18 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:47 am

How are my chances at 3.3/167? I am out-of-state coming from top undergrad + 2 yrs WE in immigration law.

bmontminy

Postby bmontminy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:49 am

While I don't feel Baylor quite deserves it's TTT, it certainly doesn't have a reputation as placing or as swift put it "you know getting a job" as he seems to think. The funny thing about Baylor, is that you hear so many more anecdotes about how amazing it is from alumni and certain loyal firms then from other 'TTTs.' That in itself doesn't prove much though.

Swift, while if you don't want BigLaw a scholly to Baylor may be the route to go, the job propects coming out of Baylor by-and-large fall behind the true 'big three.' of TX.

What Undergrad you go to btw?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:05 pm

zeke18 wrote:How are my chances at 3.3/167? I am out-of-state coming from top undergrad + 2 yrs WE in immigration law.

Probably not great. worth an app though

Return to “What are my chances?”