3.92 GPA at USC, 170 LSAT first take - ED at CCN? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

3.92 GPA at USC, 170 LSAT first take - ED at CCN?

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Anyone know how much ED-ing at CCN would boost my chances?

AreJay711

Gold

Re: 3.92 GPA at USC, 170 LSAT first take - ED at CCN?

Post by AreJay711 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:18 pm

Should be in at Chicago.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:00 pm

You have a good shot at which ever one you choose!

I would ED to Columbia and RD to the other two. But, of course, if you have a preference for a specific school, ED to that one and enjoy the short, easy cycle!

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:10 pm

hm...any softs we should know about?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 pm

You're about 50% at Columbia, 60% at Chicago, and 75% at NYU. Pick your favorite and ED there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:00 pm

I would ED to Columbia, and wait for NYU RD acceptance in case you don't get in. Please note: This plan does run a small chance of you getting WL'd or Rejected at all of CCN (Less than 25% chance if I had to guess of getting locked out, maybe bigger). If you don't like risk ED to your favorite out of Chicago or NYU, with NYU being the safest bet ED.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:33 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:hm...any softs we should know about?

Not much. Interesting background being brought up by missionary parents, pastor's kid, honor's thesis, dispute resolution internship, a few others.

I would ED at UChicago if I weren't so apprehensive about the weather there. Everyone talks about how miserable it is during the winter, plus the ultracompetitive student body. But I do dig the fact that they seem to produce a lot of law school professors, which I'm considering as a career. I've also heard that Columbia does not necessarily give much of an edge to ED-ers, it just tells them that CLS is their first choice. Can anyone verify this?

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:46 pm

I don't think Chicago winter weather is much less tolerable than New York. It's all cold. But I like Chicago a lot more as a city so I'm a bit biased.

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
fugitivejammer wrote:hm...any softs we should know about?

Not much. Interesting background being brought up by missionary parents, pastor's kid, honor's thesis, dispute resolution internship, a few others.

I would ED at UChicago if I weren't so apprehensive about the weather there. Everyone talks about how miserable it is during the winter, plus the ultracompetitive student body. But I do dig the fact that they seem to produce a lot of law school professors, which I'm considering as a career. I've also heard that Columbia does not necessarily give much of an edge to ED-ers, it just tells them that CLS is their first choice. Can anyone verify this?
I've been hearing the same thing about Columbia, but also that Chicago doesn't give much of a boost to ED-ers as well. However, I think that marginal benefit of telling these schools that they are your first choice will push you in favor of getting that solid acceptance to all of the above. Without ED, I'd predict you get into at least 1, probably 2 of CCN anyways. It seems your decision will likely come down to Columbia vs Chicago, and since the weather is comparable, I would remove that from your decision criteria.

Chicago (the city) is awesome-ness fwiw.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:03 am

Since you're out at HYS (barring some amazing softs which might get you in S), if you arent debt averse and okay with paying sticker for CCN, ED the one you like best and RD the rest. You should be in either of CC with an ED. Though they may say an ED does not help, I"m sure if you look at numbers on LSN it would say otherwise (people that would have gotten WL get in - though I havent check CC with your numbers so who knows).

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:45 am

Sorry to change the topic a bit, but let's say hypothetically I ED at Columbia and get in. How are job prospects these days for Columbia grads? I'm assuming that Columbia would offer a lot better a shot at big law, what few positions there are, than say Duke/Georgetown/Virginia/etc.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:01 am

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Sorry to change the topic a bit, but let's say hypothetically I ED at Columbia and get in. How are job prospects these days for Columbia grads? I'm assuming that Columbia would offer a lot better a shot at big law, what few positions there are, than say Duke/Georgetown/Virginia/etc.
Columbia placed about 70% of their class into biglaw this year, compared to ~1/2 at D/V and ~1/3 at G.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Bronze

Post by Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:26 am

im_blue wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:Sorry to change the topic a bit, but let's say hypothetically I ED at Columbia and get in. How are job prospects these days for Columbia grads? I'm assuming that Columbia would offer a lot better a shot at big law, what few positions there are, than say Duke/Georgetown/Virginia/etc.
Columbia placed about 70% of their class into biglaw this year, compared to ~1/2 at D/V and ~1/3 at G.

Thanks for the reply. What about Chicago, NYU, and Penn? Sorry to ask again, but I don't where to find this stuff. I checked on LSN and school websites, but all they have is 2008 numbers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”