Columbia ED or risk HYS...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
padthai

Columbia ED or risk HYS...

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by padthai on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Re: Columbia ED or risk HYS...

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:07 pm

I wouldn't ED as I think you will be fine for Columbia RD anyways.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm

With your numbers you are probably in to Columbia regular decision anyway, since you're above both medians. I'd say definitely shoot apps to HYS, but of course have reasonable expectations. I imagine one of CCN will give you some money as well, perhaps even Columbia, so don't cut out their motivation by applying ED.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I wouldn't ED as I think you will be fine for Columbia RD anyways.

St.Remy wrote:With your numbers you are probably in to Columbia regular decision anyway, since you're above both medians. I'd say definitely shoot apps to HYS, but of course have reasonable expectations. I imagine one of CCN will give you some money as well, perhaps even Columbia, so don't cut out their motivation by applying ED.

+1 to both. Go RD at Columbia, you have at least a shot at one of HYS.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:43 pm

Your chances at HYS are slim with your GPA, but since you're about 70% or better for Columbia, and a near lock for Chicago and NYU, I wouldn't ED anywhere.

padthai

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:13 pm

Thank you for your comments! I'm feeling more confident now. Although I know HYS are big reaches, it seems like I'm not completing ruining my chances at Columbia by going RD. I was uncertain because a fair number of people on LSN with similar stats in last year's cycle got WLd or rejected.

St.Remy wrote:I imagine one of CCN will give you some money as well, perhaps even Columbia, so don't cut out their motivation by applying ED.

That is exactly what I'm hoping for! Since I'm an international I can't apply for financial aid. I would love to help my parents out with some $

im_blue wrote:Your chances at HYS are slim with your GPA.

Damnit!!!! If I'd known earlier that law schools don't care about your major, would've gone with something easier.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:26 pm

padthai wrote:

Damnit!!!! If I'd known earlier that law schools don't care about your major, would've gone with something easier.

Did you major in something super difficult like engineering? That would be a helpful soft for Stanford.

padthai

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:48 pm

im_blue wrote:
padthai wrote:

Did you major in something super difficult like engineering? That would be a helpful soft for Stanford.

No, definitely not engineering. If it was, my gpa would be a 3.2. I doubled in econ and ethics. Realized too late that econ bores the life out of me.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:19 pm

padthai wrote:
im_blue wrote:
padthai wrote:

No, definitely not engineering. If it was, my gpa would be a 3.2. I doubled in econ and ethics. Realized too late that econ bores the life out of me.

Not interested in consulting or banking?

gerbal

Postby gerbal » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:13 pm

fyi, lawschoolpredictor puts you at a consider. If I wanted to go to at least columbia, I'd probably ED, but then again, I'm pretty risk adverse

thisguy456

Postby thisguy456 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:17 pm

padthai wrote:Damnit!!!! If I'd known earlier that law schools don't care about your major, would've gone with something easier.

Or maybe just try a little harder.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:17 pm

RD. You might get money elsewhere. I wouldn't really blame your GPA--I'd blame your LSAT. (for H, blame your GPA for Y&S)

padthai

Postby padthai » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:46 pm

im_blue wrote:Not interested in consulting or banking?

Nop! Thus explains my switch from pre-MBA to pre-Law.

gerbal wrote:fyi, lawschoolpredictor puts you at a consider. If I wanted to go to at least columbia, I'd probably ED, but then again, I'm pretty risk adverse

A nonconformist! :shock:

thisguy456 wrote:Or maybe just try a little harder.

Sigh. If only I could turn back time...

All right, I'm going to risk it and apply RD everywhere. If I don't, I'll probably regret it later. Also, I really want the scholarships!

Return to “What are my chances?”