Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 pm

Gotti wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:Haha, the lakers aren't too shabby either. At least the heat suck. I hope I'm wrong too. As a hardcore slacker/splitter, it doesn't seem fair that a near 4.0 would miss T14 because of a few lsat points. I just think a 164 is going to have a lot of trouble and if OP really wants T14 then UVA ED might be the only chance. It's hard to predict as she's on the cusp at a lot of places. We'll see. I would trade places with her in a second though. At least she won't end up with only midwest choices, which is the unenviable position I think I'm going to find myself in.

Edit for comment above: OP, you have a chance, don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't get your hopes up for M or Boalt as I think its less than 50/50. Also, no disrespect to GW. I would go there in a second. I just think its a bad choice for someone with your GPA.


No I feel you. I'm just lost on wtf to do right now. I wish I coulda gotten at least a 166 on my retake :(
Where are you applying btw?


Yeah a 166 would have done wonders I think. I'm applying to like 15 schools. NU is the highest I went and I'm probably SOL with 1 year of WE and a 170. Then its basically splitter schools (wustl, uiuc, etc.) and boston area schools. I think I'm auto-ding at BU/BC, but I'm trying anyway. We'll see. If worst comes to worst I'll retake and apply ED to NU next cycle with 2 years of WE. Good luck though.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Sinra wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:
How can you say 1 year out of UG but 3.5 years of WE.

WE only counts if it is full time after graduation. Not menial work PT while in UG


Some of you kids are woefully misinformed. There's millions of Americans that have plenty of professional WE that is done before and during undergrad. There was a time long long ago (it was the 90s) where you could land a nice office gig and make it in the professional world without having finished/gone to college. Crazy I know!!

Gotti wrote:
Lol product of TLS. GW is frckin #22 in the nation and people are scoffing at it like this shit sucks. I wouldn't mind going to GW...and I do have a shot at Michigan. If a non URM 164/3.98 and 164/3.94 can do it, who's to say I can't? I put a lot of time and efforts into my app and I'll let you know if it pays off.


Damn right. Your attitude is wonderful. And sorely lacking around these parts. I don't understand the obsession with talking people out of applying to any school they want to (and can afford to) even with an informed view of their chances or lack thereof. Yeah, maybe chances are slim. But who knows right? Good luck OP.


No. WE before and during undergrad doesn't count for shit in LS admissions. No one was trying to talk her out of applying to M. We were saying she should ED to UVA if she wants her best chance at T14 because M and B aren't likely. Why don't you stop talking now.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:06 pm

FuManChusco wrote:No. WE before and during undergrad doesn't count for shit in LS admissions.


So if i've been at my current company for 2.5 years and I just changed from 25-30 hours to 40 hours....the 25-30 doesn't count for WE? I feel like that's hard to believe because I'm doing the same thing...just for longer. And doesn't it count for something that I maintained a 3.95 while working that much?? :cry:

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Gotti wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:No. WE before and during undergrad doesn't count for shit in LS admissions.


So if i've been at my current company for 2.5 years and I just changed from 25-30 hours to 40 hours....the 25-30 doesn't count for WE? I feel like that's hard to believe because I'm doing the same thing...just for longer. And doesn't it count for something that I maintained a 3.95 while working that much?? :cry:


Here's the thing. WE is a soft at the end of the day. Its important for a few schools. Most notably NU and NU does not consider UG work as WE. Only full time post-grad. It will help, just not that much.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:20 pm

Gotti wrote:Lol product of TLS. GW is frckin #22 in the nation and people are scoffing at it like this shit sucks. I wouldn't mind going to GW...and I do have a shot at Michigan. If a non URM 164/3.98 and 164/3.94 can do it, who's to say I can't? I put a lot of time and efforts into my app and I'll let you know if it pays off.


Here's the deal, OP. I'll lay it out clearly.

It's getting on in the cycle. It's not late, but it's not early, either. Your chances at Mich are almost nonexistent without ED, they're almost nonexistent at GULC even with ED, and you're chances are pretty good at UVA with ED. Your chances at Boalt are measurable, but very very not good. Especially considering that your softs are straight average.

If this had been around September/October, you could have theoretically ED'd GULC, got WL, ED'd Mich (probably got WL), heard back from Boalt, then ED'd to UVA, and got in if you didn't get Boalt. However, you don't really have time for all this. The cycle is getting on. You're chances for UVA are still good, but they would have been better earlier.


The problem with GW is that while it's a good school, it's got the curse of being in a VERY tough market, with GULC in it, targeted by tons of UVA and other T14/17 kids. GW only placed 32% biglaw when the economy was good. You may not want biglaw, but if you go, and you should get in, GW will be really expensive. While EDing to UVA will put you in sticker debt, you're career prospects will approve markedly.

You could try this again next semester after retaking again, but I'm guessing you won't. So there's your options.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:23 pm

rad law wrote:
Gotti wrote:Lol product of TLS. GW is frckin #22 in the nation and people are scoffing at it like this shit sucks. I wouldn't mind going to GW...and I do have a shot at Michigan. If a non URM 164/3.98 and 164/3.94 can do it, who's to say I can't? I put a lot of time and efforts into my app and I'll let you know if it pays off.


Here's the deal, OP. I'll lay it out clearly.

It's getting on in the cycle. It's not late, but it's not early, either. Your chances at Mich are almost nonexistent without ED, they're almost nonexistent at GULC even with ED, and you're chances are pretty good at UVA with ED. Your chances at Boalt are measurable, but very very not good. Especially considering that your softs are straight average.

If this had been around September/October, you could have theoretically ED'd GULC, got WL, ED'd Mich (probably got WL), heard back from Boalt, then ED'd to UVA, and got in if you didn't get Boalt. However, you don't really have time for all this. The cycle is getting on. You're chances for UVA are still good, but they would have been better earlier.


The problem with GW is that while it's a good school, it's got the curse of being in a VERY tough market, with GULC in it, targeted by tons of UVA and other T14/17 kids. GW only placed 32% biglaw when the economy was good. You may not want biglaw, but if you go, and you should get in, GW will be really expensive. While EDing to UVA will put you in sticker debt, you're career prospects will approve markedly.

You could try this again next semester after retaking again, but I'm guessing you won't. So there's your options.


+1,000,000

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby DanInALionsDen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:32 pm

I don't think you'll get into Georgetown or UVa ED. The LSAT is just too low... I think your best hope is to pay sticker at GW...

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 pm

rad law...are you a 0L? how do you claim to know the ins and outs of law schools everywhere?

i'm honestly not tryna discredit or anything...i'm legit wondering.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I don't think you'll get into Georgetown or UVa ED. The LSAT is just too low... I think your best hope is to pay sticker at GW... retake LSAT


UVA ED is a real possibility thanks to that stellar GPA.

Also, FTFY.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:34 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I don't think you'll get into Georgetown or UVa ED. The LSAT is just too low... I think your best hope is to pay sticker at GW...


You're a fool.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:35 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I don't think you'll get into Georgetown or UVa ED. The LSAT is just too low... I think your best hope is to pay sticker at GW...


thanks lol. We'll see...

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Gotti wrote:rad law...are you a 0L? how do you claim to know the ins and outs of law schools everywhere?

i'm honestly not tryna discredit or anything...i'm legit wondering.


1L at a 15-17 school.

How do I know? Just some basic research stuff, like lawschoolnumbers.com, etc., participating/lurking the employment boards, talking to attys., talking to law students, etc.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby DanInALionsDen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:37 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:I don't think you'll get into Georgetown or UVa ED. The LSAT is just too low... I think your best hope is to pay sticker at GW...


You're a fool.


Not saying it's a good idea to pay sticker at GW, but I think it's the best combination of prestige and desired location for the OP. That said, check my profile - I'm speaking from experience, unlike many on here.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:41 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:I don't think you'll get into Georgetown or UVa ED. The LSAT is just too low... I think your best hope is to pay sticker at GW...


You're a fool.


Not saying it's a good idea to pay sticker at GW, but I think it's the best combination of prestige and desired location for the OP. That said, check my profile - I'm speaking from experience, unlike many on here.


Sweet bro. You're still a fool if you think OP's "best hope" is sticker at GW. Pretty sure her best hope is boalt.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:44 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:I don't think you'll get into Georgetown or UVa ED. The LSAT is just too low... I think your best hope is to pay sticker at GW...


You're a fool.


Not saying it's a good idea to pay sticker at GW, but I think it's the best combination of prestige and desired location for the OP. That said, check my profile - I'm speaking from experience, unlike many on here.


Sweet bro. You're still a fool if you think OP's "best hope" is sticker at GW. Pretty sure her best hope is boalt.



this made me smile a little =)

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby DanInALionsDen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:47 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:I don't think you'll get into Georgetown or UVa ED. The LSAT is just too low... I think your best hope is to pay sticker at GW...


You're a fool.


Not saying it's a good idea to pay sticker at GW, but I think it's the best combination of prestige and desired location for the OP. That said, check my profile - I'm speaking from experience, unlike many on here.


Sweet bro. You're still a fool if you think OP's "best hope" is sticker at GW. Pretty sure her best hope is boalt.


Pretty sure the only people on LSN who got into Boalt with those numbers were URMs, a combat veteran, and guy who seems to have had a crazy life story about overcoming obstacles. Also pretty sure (actually completely certain) that all law schools have moved towards weighing LSAT more heavily in the last 2-3 years - this even includes Stanford. I'm glad that you feel free to call people fools based on nothing more than your own speculation regarding admissions standards. That's fun.

EDIT: Here's the link:

http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:50 pm

I didn't say realistic or even decent chance. I said best hope. RC fail on your part.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:55 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I didn't say realistic or even decent chance. I said best hope. RC fail on your part.



aaaaand this made me sad lol

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby DanInALionsDen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:00 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I didn't say realistic or even decent chance. I said best hope. RC fail on your part.


I assume that you're a 0L based on the use of the term "RC fail." This assumption is only bolstered by your blind optimism regarding the admissions process. In the sense that my "best hope" was Harvard, yes, the OP's "best hope" is Berkley (Sorry OP, no insult intended). If the aim of this forum is aiding the OP in her decision making process though, I think realism is important. And realistically, there is no hope for Berkley. OP is not a URM or a combat veteran. Unless there is some other extraordinary factor, it's a rejection.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:Pretty sure the only people on LSN who got into Boalt with those numbers were URMs, a combat veteran, and guy who seems to have had a crazy life story about overcoming obstacles. Also pretty sure (actually completely certain) that all law schools have moved towards weighing LSAT more heavily in the last 2-3 years - this even includes Stanford. I'm glad that you feel free to call people fools based on nothing more than your own speculation regarding admissions standards. That's fun.

EDIT: Here's the link:

http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/



do you understand that there are fewer people on LSN than on TLS? lol 3 ppl with 164s got in last year and that's supposed to be representative?? yeah right. TLS isn't representative at all either.

EDIT: look at class of 2013's entering profile at Boalt:

Number of Applicants: 8,313
Number in Class: 287
Median LSAT: 167 (170 = 75th percentile, 163 = 25th percentile)
Median GPA: 3.80 (3.89 = 75th percentile, 3.64 = 25th percentile)


I'm above 25th (albeit not by much, but better than AT or BELOW) in LSAT and way above 75th for GPA....i think that's a pretty decent shot with a good Why Boalt essay and a good application

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby DanInALionsDen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Gotti wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:Pretty sure the only people on LSN who got into Boalt with those numbers were URMs, a combat veteran, and guy who seems to have had a crazy life story about overcoming obstacles. Also pretty sure (actually completely certain) that all law schools have moved towards weighing LSAT more heavily in the last 2-3 years - this even includes Stanford. I'm glad that you feel free to call people fools based on nothing more than your own speculation regarding admissions standards. That's fun.

EDIT: Here's the link:

http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/



do you understand that there are fewer people on LSN than on TLS? lol 3 ppl with 164s got in last year and that's supposed to be representative?? yeah right. TLS isn't representative at all either.


You're below Berkley's 25th percentile for LSAT. You're not getting in. To answer your question, I believe that LSN is representative of law school applicants generally. Believe what you'd like though.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:09 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:I didn't say realistic or even decent chance. I said best hope. RC fail on your part.


I assume that you're a 0L based on the use of the term "RC fail." This assumption is only bolstered by your blind optimism regarding the admissions process. In the sense that my "best hope" was Harvard, yes, the OP's "best hope" is Berkley (Sorry OP, no insult intended). If the aim of this forum is aiding the OP in her decision making process though, I think realism is important. And realistically, there is no hope for Berkley. OP is not a URM or a combat veteran. Unless there is some other extraordinary factor, it's a rejection.


I love how you think you know everything because you went through the application process once. you're no more informed than anyone else if you're basing your posts off of lsn. do I think OP is getting into boalt? no, as I said earlier in the thread. that doesn't mean she doesn't have a chance. saying her "best hope" is a school she's a shoe-in for is absolutely stupid though. my advice was to ED to UVA as I think that is OP's best chance at t14. she doesn't want to do that as she is not in love with the school. it's not like I'm telling her to withdraw all her apps other than B.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:11 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
Gotti wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:Pretty sure the only people on LSN who got into Boalt with those numbers were URMs, a combat veteran, and guy who seems to have had a crazy life story about overcoming obstacles. Also pretty sure (actually completely certain) that all law schools have moved towards weighing LSAT more heavily in the last 2-3 years - this even includes Stanford. I'm glad that you feel free to call people fools based on nothing more than your own speculation regarding admissions standards. That's fun.

EDIT: Here's the link:

http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/



do you understand that there are fewer people on LSN than on TLS? lol 3 ppl with 164s got in last year and that's supposed to be representative?? yeah right. TLS isn't representative at all either.


You're below Berkley's 25th percentile for LSAT. You're not getting in. To answer your question, I believe that LSN is representative of law school applicants generally. Believe what you'd like though.


read my above post. Last year's 25th was 163. I'm not below that. You'll be the first one to know if I get into Boalt :)

Edit: and no way is LSN representative of everyone applying to law school. There are thousands of applicants to each law school..there's no way LSN is representative in any way shape or form.

DanInALionsDen
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby DanInALionsDen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:15 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:I didn't say realistic or even decent chance. I said best hope. RC fail on your part.


I assume that you're a 0L based on the use of the term "RC fail." This assumption is only bolstered by your blind optimism regarding the admissions process. In the sense that my "best hope" was Harvard, yes, the OP's "best hope" is Berkley (Sorry OP, no insult intended). If the aim of this forum is aiding the OP in her decision making process though, I think realism is important. And realistically, there is no hope for Berkley. OP is not a URM or a combat veteran. Unless there is some other extraordinary factor, it's a rejection.


I love how you think you know everything because you went through the application process once. you're no more informed than anyone else if you're basing your posts off of lsn. do I think OP is getting into boalt? no, as I said earlier in the thread. that doesn't mean she doesn't have a chance. saying her "best hope" is a school she's a shoe-in for is absolutely stupid though. my advice was to ED to UVA as I think that is OP's best chance at t14. she doesn't want to do that as she is not in love with the school. it's not like I'm telling her to withdraw all her apps other than B.


I think I know more than you because I went through the application process once. I think the OP has no chance at Berkeley. I think the OP also has no chance at UVa. If the OP would like to apply anyway, because she needs objective proof that she would not have gotten in, then she should, by all means. All we're doing here is giving opinions and speculating. I don't think that my opinion is infallible, I just think my opinion has more value than yours on this subject.

User avatar
Gotti
Posts: 3436
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Postby Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:19 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:I think I know more than you because I went through the application process once. I think the OP has no chance at Berkeley. I think the OP also has no chance at UVa. If the OP would like to apply anyway, because she needs objective proof that she would not have gotten in, then she should, by all means. All we're doing here is giving opinions and speculating. I don't think that my opinion is infallible, I just think my opinion has more value than yours on this subject.



Goddamn I hate how TLS is full of elitists who think no one is getting in anywhere worthwhile with a 90th percentile LSAT. Again, you'll be the first person to know if i get into either.

/thread




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests