Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Gotti wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:What does Georgetown offer you that UVa won't? Aside from a headache finding decent, affordable housing?
GULC in physically in DC, has way better lay prestige even though it’s 4 under UVA, and places way better in CA (where I’m from)…I’d much rather go there. I know UVA and GULC compete for the same DC market, but UVA does not place much at all in CA
Ask around on TLS or contact some alums about Cali placement. Just because people don't take jobs in Cali doesn't necessarily mean they can't. And don't let lay prestige factor into your decision. It's all but meaningless.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 pm

rad law wrote:
Gotti wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:What does Georgetown offer you that UVa won't? Aside from a headache finding decent, affordable housing?
GULC in physically in DC, has way better lay prestige even though it’s 4 under UVA, and places way better in CA (where I’m from)…I’d much rather go there. I know UVA and GULC compete for the same DC market, but UVA does not place much at all in CA
Ask around on TLS or contact some alums about Cali placement. Just because people don't take jobs in Cali doesn't necessarily mean they can't. And don't let lay prestige factor into your decision. It's all but meaningless.
This is the more relevant point, and a very good one.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:06 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
rad law wrote:
Gotti wrote:
GULC is physically in DC, has way better lay prestige even though it’s 4 under UVA, and places way better in CA (where I’m from)…I’d much rather go there. I know UVA and GULC compete for the same DC market, but UVA does not place much at all in CA
This is the more relevant point, and a very good one.
Yeah no I know they can, and UVA is a phenomenal school. My boyfriend has worked in LA law firms for the past 3-4 years and not very many people care/are impressed with UVA here. I’m just being real. Who knows…maybe I’ll ED GULC and if I get rejected, ED UVA. I just gotta decide what’s best for me. I really wanna hold out to see if Boalt or Michigan give me a chance, as unrealistic as that may be. More than 1 person got into Michigan last year with 3.9x / 164 like me. But thanks guys, i'll def take your points into consideration

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:07 pm

I think it's a moot point because OP isn't getting into GULC. His only chance at T14 is probably UVA ED. Rad is right once again though. Lay prestige might be good to brag to your friends, but it's completely irrelevant in looking for a job. Lawyers know what UVA is in Cali even if your friends don't.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Gotti wrote:I want to get into T14 or even T20. Took the LSAT twice...sucks because 164 on my lowest practice test preparing for Oct 2010 and was consistently scoring 167-170. But I don't want to risk not applying early because I think nerves get to me on test day so I will invariably do worse on the actual test than on PTs.

I'm not banking on anything in the T14, but if you could tell me my chances at the following schools I'm applying to, I'd appreciate it.

Undergrad at UCI, double major in Psych & Poli Sci, NON URM
GPA: 3.96
LSAT: 163/164

Softs:
Phi Beta Kappa
Phi Alpha Delta (Pre-Law Frat)
Deans Honor list 11 quarters
Worked 20-30 hrs/week for my 2nd-4th years
Captain of my a cappella team (member for 4+ years)
1 year off after undergrad, working full time
LORs: 2 employers & Poli Sci Law Professor at UCI

Applying to (tentative list):
CLS - out
NYU-out
GULC-out-
Boalt-WL/who knows
Fordham-In
Notre Dame (Fee waiver)-in
UMich (Fee waiver)-out
UCLA (Fee waiver)-out
GWU-in
Northwestern (Fee Waiver)-out
Stanford-out
U Minnessota (Fee Waiver)-in
UVA (Fee Waiver)-in with ED otherwide Out
U Chicago-out
Cornell-Out
Hastings-in with $$
USC-donno
Duke-donno

Any input would be muuuuccchhhh appreciated. Thanks!!!
How can you say 1 year out of UG but 3.5 years of WE.

WE only counts if it is full time after graduation. Not menial work PT while in UG

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:16 pm

FuManChusco wrote:I think it's a moot point because OP isn't getting into GULC. His only chance at T14 is probably UVA ED. Rad is right once again though. Lay prestige might be good to brag to your friends, but it's completely irrelevant in looking for a job. Lawyers know what UVA is in Cali even if your friends don't.
Unless its a small firm filled with T3-4 lawyers, again they dont really matter.

UVA>>GULC no matter where you want to work. Even DC

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:21 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:I think it's a moot point because OP isn't getting into GULC. His only chance at T14 is probably UVA ED. Rad is right once again though. Lay prestige might be good to brag to your friends, but it's completely irrelevant in looking for a job. Lawyers know what UVA is in Cali even if your friends don't.
Unless its a small firm filled with T3-4 lawyers, again they dont really matter.

obviously DC...but i'm telling you lol no one cares about uva here in LA. GULC > UVA in LA.
Last edited by Gotti on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Gotti wrote:

obviously DC...but i'm telling you lol no one cares about uva here in LA. GULC > UVA in LA.
This is rediculous to say. You have no idea what you are talking about. GULC is never looked at better then UVA. It is slipping out of the T14 and anyone who matters (those looking to hire for biglaw) know this.

Obviously DC? this is where GULC is strongest, from there it falls significantly

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:30 pm

Gotti wrote:

This is rediculous to say. You have no idea what you are talking about. GULC is never looked at better then UVA. It is slipping out of the T14 and anyone who matters (those looking to hire for biglaw) know this.

Obviously DC? this is where GULC is strongest, from there it falls significantly

well obviously you're going to pull for UVA, you got accepted. I don't want to risk ED'ing to UVA just to get in the top 10 and getting into Boalt or Mich (it can happen as much as the elite TLSers say it can't). Thx for your help/input. I'd rather go to GULC. It's not out of the T14 yet...and it's not just "my friends" who say that GULC is more respected in LA. I'm not a dumbass, I wouldn't say things without checking my sources. I can have opinions too and I honestly feel for the kind of law and environment I'm looking for, GULC is the better option.

PS i'm a girl.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:35 pm

PS i'm a girl.
Okay?

Good luck with your cycle. I am one that thinks with the right Why Berkeley statements you have a GREAT shot at Berk. They love high GPA.

Did you score low on SAT? (below 95%) if so send that in to show standardize tests do not correlate to your performance.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 pm

Bottom line, OP is not going to be disadvantaged trying to find work in L.A. with a J.D. from GULC over UVA. It just won't happen. An education from GULC should NOT be taken for granted, which it seems like it sort of has been across TLS. If you get into both, go to the school that has the best programs for you...either way you won't have an issue finding a job. If GULC fits you more (which it sounds like it does based on your preferences/statements) by all means go there. The MOST important thing to remember is to kill it at whichever campus you go to. By this, I mean hit the ground running, and graduate at the top of your class. That's what will truly get the more reputable firms in L.A./S.F of wherever else on the westcoast to recruit you.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:43 pm

PS i'm a girl.
Okay?

Good luck with your cycle. I am one that thinks with the right Why Berkeley statements you have a GREAT shot at Berk. They love high GPA.

Did you score low on SAT? (below 95%) if so send that in to show standardize tests do not correlate to your performance.
Good advice. And I just realized you and OP have very similar stats. Good luck to the both of you.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:44 pm

PS i'm a girl.
Okay?

Oh i meant that to FuManChusco who kept saying "him" lol

but thank you. I wrote a why berkeley and I thought it was good!

I got a 1980 on my SAT...should i send it in?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:45 pm

PS i'm a girl.
Okay?

You and the OP have like exactly the same stats lol.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Gotti wrote:
PS i'm a girl.
Okay?

Oh i meant that to FuManChusco who kept saying "him" lol

but thank you. I wrote a why berkeley and I thought it was good!

I got a 1980 on my SAT...should i send it in?
What was your score with the 2 they count? And i would still say yes as below 2000 does not correlate to graduating that high in your class

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:54 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
PS i'm a girl.
Okay?

You and the OP have like exactly the same stats lol.
Yes we do, i thought i would get into Berk, thats why i believe she will.

Though UVA has, i feel, better prospects for biglaw at the moment. Both are great schools. I would love to go back to Cali (where i am from) or work in NYC, so UVA is a good fit for me.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:00 pm

Gotti wrote: Who knows…maybe I’ll ED GULC and if I get rejected, ED UVA.
This is dumb. You're almost assuredly not getting ED GULC, and your chances at ED UVA were better earlier in the cycle. And they will keep getting worse.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 pm

rad law wrote:
This is dumb. You're almost assuredly not getting ED GULC, and your chances at ED UVA were better earlier in the cycle. And they will keep getting worse.
true, but i dont think OP wants UVA to badly. As she said she would rather hear from Berkeley or Michigan (no chance at Mich)

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:14 pm

rad law wrote:
true, but i dont think OP wants UVA to badly. As she said she would rather hear from Berkeley or Michigan (no chance at Mich)
I'm saying no chance at either. I hope OP likes GW because that's where she is probably going to end up at this point.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:23 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
rad law wrote:
I'm saying no chance at either. I hope OP likes GW because that's where she is probably going to end up at this point.
We'll see. I hope you're wrong for OP's sake though. I have no idea how reverse splitter cycles look in the eyes of adcomms, especially with things like WE and other softs. Sucks for people who bust their asses for 4 years and earn stellar grades but for whatever reason cannot score in the necessary range on the LSAT for assurance within the top 14. Keep us posted, OP.

Sidenote. FuMan, Your avatar is KILLING me! I need to find a picture of Magic/Pat Riley ASAP. You guys are looking good this season though (difficult to admit).

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:33 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
rad law wrote:

Lol product of TLS. GW is frckin #22 in the nation and people are scoffing at it like this shit sucks. I wouldn't mind going to GW...and I do have a shot at Michigan. If a non URM 164/3.98 and 164/3.94 can do it, who's to say I can't? I put a lot of time and efforts into my app and I'll let you know if it pays off.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:42 pm

Haha, the lakers aren't too shabby either. At least the heat suck. I hope I'm wrong too. As a hardcore slacker/splitter, it doesn't seem fair that a near 4.0 would miss T14 because of a few lsat points. I just think a 164 is going to have a lot of trouble and if OP really wants T14 then UVA ED might be the only chance. It's hard to predict as she's on the cusp at a lot of places. We'll see. I would trade places with her in a second though. At least she won't end up with only midwest choices, which is the unenviable position I think I'm going to find myself in.

Edit for comment above: OP, you have a chance, don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't get your hopes up for M or Boalt as I think its less than 50/50. Also, no disrespect to GW. I would go there in a second. I just think its a bad choice for someone with your GPA.

Gotti

Gold

Post by Gotti » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:46 pm

FuManChusco wrote:Haha, the lakers aren't too shabby either. At least the heat suck. I hope I'm wrong too. As a hardcore slacker/splitter, it doesn't seem fair that a near 4.0 would miss T14 because of a few lsat points. I just think a 164 is going to have a lot of trouble and if OP really wants T14 then UVA ED might be the only chance. It's hard to predict as she's on the cusp at a lot of places. We'll see. I would trade places with her in a second though. At least she won't end up with only midwest choices, which is the unenviable position I think I'm going to find myself in.

Edit for comment above: OP, you have a chance, don't get me wrong. I just wouldn't get your hopes up for M or Boalt as I think its less than 50/50. Also, no disrespect to GW. I would go there in a second. I just think its a bad choice for someone with your GPA.

No I feel you. I'm just lost on wtf to do right now. I wish I coulda gotten at least a 166 on my retake :(
Where are you applying btw?

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:46 pm

redacted
Last edited by Sinra on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:47 pm

RJ127 wrote:I have no idea how reverse splitter cycles look in the eyes of adcomms, especially with things like WE and other softs.
LSN shows that they go not as well as if they had been traditional splitters, and that softs and WE don't matter that much.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”