Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
TheOcho

Bronze

Re: Chances? 163, 164 / 3.96

Post by TheOcho » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:29 pm

you need to study your ass off and retake.

Birdlaw

Bronze

Post by Birdlaw » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:33 pm

How is LSN a representative sample of Law School Applicants exactly?

I understand that you do not need a large percentage sample to represent a population and I understand that LSN is probably well over this mark. But, it really cannot be considered representative if it is not randomly selected. How could it be? Even if it appears to have a mixbag of applicants, lets be honest its probably mostly white males.

This is more interesting to me than the debate of the OP. BTW apply wherever you want and think whatever you want to think. Don't expect everyone to have the same optimism as you though, especially on these boards.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Birdlaw wrote:How is LSN a representative sample of Law School Applicants exactly?

I understand that you do not need a large percentage sample to represent a population and I understand that LSN is probably well over this mark. But, it really cannot be considered representative if it is not randomly selected. How could it be? Even if it appears to have a mixbag of applicants, lets be honest its probably mostly white males.

This is more interesting to me than the debate of the OP. BTW apply wherever you want and think whatever you want to think. Don't expect everyone to have the same optimism as you though, especially on these boards.
It's representative enough for male and female non-URMs with higher than normal LSATs who apply to certain popular schools, I figure. Not good for URMs though. It's representative enough to see a lot of the broad admission trends, like where people start getting WL, or if the school has an LSAT wall.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 pm

Birdlaw wrote:How is LSN a representative sample of Law School Applicants exactly?

Not representative for real research purposes. From what others have said regarding LSN, it might be marginally representative at best. I am inclined to believe there is a specific type of person attracted to LSN and TLS alike, however.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:41 pm

Does this matter? I think everyone concedes that LSN kinda sucks for predicting URMs.

Also is there any discrepancy between Whites and ORMs? Do ORMs fare worse in law school admissions because they are over represented?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:42 pm

TheOcho wrote:

Not representative for real research purposes. From what others have said regarding LSN, it might be marginally representative at best. I am inclined to believe there is a specific type of person attracted to LSN and TLS alike, however.
Yes, and the OP appears to be exactly this specific type of person, meaning that LSN will be representative, for her. That's the point. Even though a survey of people may not be broadly representative, it may still be representative of select groups.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:45 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
TheOcho wrote:

Yes, and the OP appears to be exactly this specific type of person, meaning that LSN will be representative, for her. That's the point. Even though a survey of people may not be broadly representative, it may still be representative of select groups.
Bold conceded. I replied mostly due to what is in italics.

Birdlaw

Bronze

Post by Birdlaw » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:32 am

Not representative for real research purposes. From what others have said regarding LSN, it might be marginally representative at best. I am inclined to believe there is a specific type of person attracted to LSN and TLS alike, however.[/quote]

I agree with this point, which is why I question how representative it is. And the point that it is farily predictive of white males and females I also generally agree with. I just still question how truely representative the entire website is. Has anyone taken the time to compare what the 25th/75th percentiles comparison is from LSN to what schools report? Although, this would run into the problem of Schools not releasing strictly URM numbers. Seems to be an interesting conundrum for me since every class I've ever taken has stressed random sampling.

Interesting point of research, I might have to look into to it so that I can avoid writing this research paper.

Dewey Defeats Truman!

emjay

New

Post by emjay » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:34 am

OP, you strike me as a silly silly dumb dumb

*****im sorry i said that, please dont hurtz me gerrrrl******

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:51 am

Retake is bad advice here. Obviously she already did that and the score didnt change (1 point is nothing).

Apply with what you have and see where it takes you

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:40 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:Retake is bad advice here. Obviously she already did that and the score didnt change (1 point is nothing).

lol no study harder

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:51 am

I think OP has a decent shot at Boalt, depending on softs. She is above Boalt's 25th LSAT.

Boalt's current quartiles for the Class of 2013 are 163-167-170, 3.8 median.

Unfortunately, OP doesn't have much of a shot at Michigan, as its current quartiles for the Class of 2013 are 168-169-171, 3.74 median.

You never know though. I personally would not ED ITE. I'd ride it out and see how this cycle goes. You can always try again next year.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:10 am

irishman86 wrote:I think OP has a decent shot at Boalt, depending on softs. She is above Boalt's 25th LSAT.

Unfortunately, OP doesn't have much of a shot at Michigan, as its current quartiles for the Class of 2013 are 168-169-171, 3.74 median.

You never know though. I personally would not ED ITE. I'd ride it out and see how this cycle goes. You can always try again next year.
Oh no, this again, and worse yet, you say "decent" shot. It's common knowledge that the numbers at the 25th percentile are made up of URMs, war veterans, peace corp volunteers, and the like. OP is none of these things. She has no chance. To provide anecdotal evidence, I know two polisci majors from my undergrad (same major as OPs, from a similarly ranked, public institution). One had a 4.0, one a 3.9 something. One got a 167 on the LSAT, the other a 168. Both now go to GW on a $105,000 scholarship and were rejected from the entire T-14.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:18 am

rad law wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Retake is bad advice here. Obviously she already did that and the score didnt change (1 point is nothing).

lol no study harder

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:50 am

DanInALionsDen wrote:
irishman86 wrote:I think OP has a decent shot at Boalt, depending on softs. She is above Boalt's 25th LSAT.

Oh no, this again, and worse yet, you say "decent" shot. It's common knowledge that the numbers at the 25th percentile are made up of URMs, war veterans, peace corp volunteers, and the like. OP is none of these things. She has no chance. To provide anecdotal evidence, I know two polisci majors from my undergrad (same major as OPs, from a similarly ranked, public institution). One had a 4.0, one a 3.9 something. One got a 167 on the LSAT, the other a 168. Both now go to GW on a $105,000 scholarship and were rejected from the entire T-14.
we all now she isn't looking good at Boalt dude. your anecdotal evidence is useless though. your two friends obviously put together shit applications if they missed t14 with those numbers.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:51 am

FuManChusco wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:

we all now she isn't looking good at Boalt dude. your anecdotal evidence is useless though. your two friends obviously put together shit applications if they missed t14 with those numbers.
I could see a 3.9 167 missing out on all but Cornell with absolute nothing else going for them.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:56 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:

I could see a 3.9 167 missing out on all but Cornell with absolute nothing else going for them.
you're still getting cornell. plus, a few others schools are pretty reasonable with an ED.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:29 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
you're still getting cornell. plus, a few others schools are pretty reasonable with an ED.
I'm sorry, but you just have no idea what you're talking about. To be fair I don't think either even applied to Cornell, cause who wants to live in Ithaca. But you have the optimism of someone who has never actually completed an admissions cycle.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:34 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
I'm sorry, but you just have no idea what you're talking about. To be fair I don't think either even applied to Cornell, cause who wants to live in Ithaca. But you have the optimism of someone who has never actually completed an admissions cycle.
Then again you're probably suffering from some optimism bias. I bet you think you're getting into a T14 too.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:49 pm

You're arguably the biggest douche on here. Actually, no I don't think I'm getting T14. I think most people are pretty pessimistic about law school apps. For someone who bases all their opinions on lsn, you're pretty hypocritical for thinking a 3.9 168 isn't getting cornell or something else with an ED. Also, you have no more experience than I do in the application process. Stop acting like you're an adcomm. I hope you stike out at OCI in the most saturated market in the T14.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:53 pm

FuManChusco wrote:You're arguably the biggest douche on here. Actually, no I don't think I'm getting T14. I think most people are pretty pessimistic about law school apps. For someone who bases all their opinions on lsn, you're pretty hypocritical for thinking a 3.9 168 isn't getting cornell or something else with an ED. Also, you have no more experience than I do in the application process. Stop acting like you're an adcomm. I hope you stike out at OCI in the most saturated market in the T14.
I don't see a 168/3.9 not getting into Cornell. Only person on LSN with comparable numbers who didn't get in was some guy who had multiple LSATs which explains it.

Only other person I can even think of is some guy with a 168/3.88 this cycle who got straight out dinged but he had multiple underage drinking violations.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:59 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:

Dude goes to GULC of course hes a douche, wouldnt you be if you went to a school that was falling out of the T14?

A 4.0 with a 168 shoulg get MVPB with money no problem. They should also ED to CCN to see if they could pull off a miracle. But if your not getting MVPB with those numbers, you are a obviously a terrible writer and couldnt put together a semi-decent application

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:03 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
DanInALionsDen wrote:

Dude goes to GULC of course hes a douche, wouldnt you be if you went to a school that was falling out of the T14?

A 4.0 with a 168 shoulg get MVPB with money no problem. They should also ED to CCN to see if they could pull off a miracle. But if your not getting MVPB with those numbers, you are a obviously a terrible writer and couldnt put together a semi-decent application
To be fair I don't see a 4.0/168 getting into UVA OOS without ED.

DanInALionsDen

Bronze

Post by DanInALionsDen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 pm

Haha. GULC isn't "falling out of the T14." It's been 14th for years. There isn't any real movement in the T14, and even less so in and out of the T14 (in fact there is no movement). As for striking out at OCI in the most saturated market, I'm only applying to NYC firms. Still a packed market, but better than DC, especially as a Georgetown student, since most want to stay in DC. I'm just trying to help bring you all back to reality.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Okay maybe not with money but...

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Asterix/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/itsirtou/jd

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/EigenvalueA/jd <-------1 more point and she got the deans scholly at UVA and money at Mich

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/CaesarAugustus/jd <---- and this guy will definitely shut Mr. Douche up

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”