Retake LSAT? 4.0/170

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ailenroc

Retake LSAT? 4.0/170

Postby ailenroc » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi guys!

This is only my second post on the forums, so apologies if anything is out of place.

I signed up to retake the LSAT after getting a 170 (I think I can do better - was consistently getting 176s on my PTs), but after reading a lot of TLS school profiles, it seems that applying early (just to be clear, not ED - just early) can help since a lot of schools have some sort of rolling admissions. I worry that retaking would force me to postpone applying, and perhaps hurt my chances.

For demographics, I'm female, not URM. As for my GPA, I graduated as valedictorian of my class from a small liberal arts college consistently rated in the top-50 liberal arts schools nationwide by USNWR. Valedictorians from previous years did not have 4.0s, if that helps with context. I feel confident in my grades, less sure about my LSAT. I'm a decent writer and think I can write a reasonably compelling personal statement.

I'm aiming for T14 schools, but my first choice is Yale - obviously, a reach, but one I hope to have a shot at getting. Thoughts? I would appreciate advice/suggestions.

Thanks! :)

CanadianWolf

Re: Retake LSAT? 4.0/170

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Apply early. Wait for results. If unhappy, then retake LSAT & apply next application cycle. Scoring a 170 with a 4.0 GPA makes you an almost sure bet to get multiple top 14 acceptances, but a 170 LSAT combined with another LSAT score in the same range (167-173) makes Yale unlikely.

ailenroc

Postby ailenroc » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 pm

After reading the profiles, I was leaning towards this. Thank you! Your advice was helpful, and I appreciate the quick reply.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:23 pm

Apply now retake in december. some will hold. stanford will hold.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:26 pm

applying early doesn't matter as much for Yale if that's what you want.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:40 pm

If you want HYS, you should retake for a 172+. Otherwise, you're good for every other school.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:44 pm

ailenroc wrote:Hi guys!

This is only my second post on the forums, so apologies if anything is out of place.

I signed up to retake the LSAT after getting a 170 (I think I can do better - was consistently getting 176s on my PTs), but after reading a lot of TLS school profiles, it seems that applying early (just to be clear, not ED - just early) can help since a lot of schools have some sort of rolling admissions. I worry that retaking would force me to postpone applying, and perhaps hurt my chances.

For demographics, I'm female, not URM. As for my GPA, I graduated as valedictorian of my class from a small liberal arts college consistently rated in the top-50 liberal arts schools nationwide by USNWR. Valedictorians from previous years did not have 4.0s, if that helps with context. I feel confident in my grades, less sure about my LSAT. I'm a decent writer and think I can write a reasonably compelling personal statement.

I'm aiming for T14 schools, but my first choice is Yale - obviously, a reach, but one I hope to have a shot at getting. Thoughts? I would appreciate advice/suggestions.

Thanks! :)

If Yale is your first choice and you know you're capable of getting that 176, go for it!

ailenroc

Postby ailenroc » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:08 pm

First - thank you again for the advice everyone!

s0ph1e2007 wrote:Apply now retake in december. some will hold. stanford will hold.

The only thing I worry about with this option is that, since I'll be busy applying, I won't have as much time for the LSAT (and I worry if I don't study, I'll lose some of the prep work I did for the last test). I might make the applications my priority, then see how much time I've had to study/how good I feel about retaking by the 21st, since I think that's the latest you can cancel the Dec. test.

Return to “What are my chances?”