170/'Superior' Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JenBunny

New

170/'Superior'

Post by JenBunny » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 pm

I have a 'Superior' rating from LSAC for my undergraduate degree, an 'Above Average' for a postgrad degree in law (a one-year degree, not an LLM or a LLB, done in the UK), and my LSAT score is 170.

I'm looking at schools with strong International Law programs....can anyone give me my chances? Since I don't really have a GPA to plug into the online predictors, I'm never totally sure about what my chances are....Thanks!

Emma.

Gold

Re: 170/'Superior'

Post by Emma. » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 pm

JenBunny wrote:I have a 'Superior' rating from LSAC for my undergraduate degree, an 'Above Average' for a postgrad degree in law (a one-year degree, not an LLM or a LLB, done in the UK), and my LSAT score is 170.

I'm looking at schools with strong International Law programs....can anyone give me my chances? Since I don't really have a GPA to plug into the online predictors, I'm never totally sure about what my chances are....Thanks!
Aren't those rankings for the quality of the institution, not for your grades? Doesn't your transcript show some kind of grades that a school can equate with US grades?

JenBunny

New

Post by JenBunny » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Emma. wrote:
JenBunny wrote:I have a 'Superior' rating from LSAC for my undergraduate degree, an 'Above Average' for a postgrad degree in law (a one-year degree, not an LLM or a LLB, done in the UK), and my LSAT score is 170.

Aren't those rankings for the quality of the institution, not for your grades? Doesn't your transcript show some kind of grades that a school can equate with US grades?

Nope, those rankings are for my specific grades at my undergrad and postgrad universities. LSAC sends the transcripts of foreign students to an outside organization that provides these classifications (Superior, Above Average, Average, etc). The institutions themselves aren't evaluated, although my undergraduate university especially is a highly respected uni in the UK. My undergrad institution does provide a guideline for transferring GPA, but my postgrad uni has never given any information like that.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:52 pm

The best international law programs for you are going to be found at MVPDNCG. Good luck.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 pm

If you wanna chance yourself using numbers alone, then use your 170 along with the median GPA at each school you're considering.

With that said, the bottom half of the T-14 ought to be your targets. CCN should be reaches.

HTH

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:13 am

JenBunny wrote:
Emma. wrote:

Nope, those rankings are for my specific grades at my undergrad and postgrad universities. LSAC sends the transcripts of foreign students to an outside organization that provides these classifications (Superior, Above Average, Average, etc). The institutions themselves aren't evaluated, although my undergraduate university especially is a highly respected uni in the UK. My undergrad institution does provide a guideline for transferring GPA, but my postgrad uni has never given any information like that.
Yeah, I had a foreign transcript report too. For some reason I thought it was referring to the institutions, but hadn't looked at it in a while. I think that despite the lack of GPA they'll still look at your grades on your transcript, so if you have mostly As they'll probably consider it to be equivalent to a GPA somewhere in the 3.75+ range, straight As would be like a 4.0. Admissions are pretty black box though, and the lack of a LSAC GPA will just make your whole cycle a lot less predictable.

I don't think LSP and LSN are going to help you much. Cast a wide net!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”