146/2.1 Hispanic , tell me what's obvious Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
cubajean10

New

146/2.1 Hispanic , tell me what's obvious

Post by cubajean10 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi, so my score on the October LSAT was 146 my UC Davis undergrad gpa is 2.1 I'm a polisci major (I'm a transfer student but my transfered classes dont count towards the gpa, I think they totaled 3)
Simply put I don’t know what to do:
One option: stay a "5th" year in school while I get ready for the next October LSAT and while I try to boost my GPA
Any ideas?

I'm planning to attend a "good" law school in the LA area (geographic restrictions due to being married, divorce not an option :P )

plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: 146/2.1 Hispanic , tell me what's obvious

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:17 pm

I think that is the lowest GPA I've ever seen.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:19 pm

no offense, but what makes you think you can do well in law school if your LSAT and GPA are both extremely poor? You need to rethink your career plans. Do not go to law school. I repeat: do not go to law school.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:21 pm

cubajean10 wrote: I'm planning to attend a "good" law school in the LA area
That's unpossible.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:23 pm

cubajean10 wrote:Hi, so my score on the October LSAT was 146 my UC Davis undergrad gpa is 2.1 I'm a polisci major (I'm a transfer student but my transfered classes dont count towards the gpa, I think they totaled 3)
Simply put I don’t know what to do:
One option: stay a "5th" year in school while I get ready for the next October LSAT and while I try to boost my GPA
Any ideas?

I'm planning to attend a "good" law school in the LA area (geographic restrictions due to being married, divorce not an option :P )
Oh dear.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:25 pm

You can be L.A.'s mayor with a degree from People's College of Law

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:26 pm

If you consider the fine institution below "good," then your plan is perfect. Go forth young scholar. Otherwise, you may have to evaluate your position ever so slightly. Its a URM bump, not a URM slighshot.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:27 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:You can be L.A.'s mayor with a degree from People's College of Law

Thanks for sliding in and stealing my PCL reference while I was typing it... Jerk :D

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:28 pm

Dude...no offense man but you really don't have a chance at law school with your current numbers. I try to be positive about scores and not as elitest as everyone else but those numbers and a urm bump won't get you somewhere good. Advice kill the lsat and have a very good excuse to why your gpa is that low. Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cubajean10

New

Post by cubajean10 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:29 pm

wow I did expect a fast response, but not that fast
OK, yes I understand all the good intended people that will lead me to re-analyze my reasoning for attending law school, thanks but no thanks :)
I'm just trying to get my head around what should I do now, is it worth it to still apply to law schools in that area or should I wait for next year or...what

NonTradHealthLaw

Bronze

Post by NonTradHealthLaw » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:29 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
NonTradHealthLaw wrote:You can be L.A.'s mayor with a degree from People's College of Law

Thanks for sliding in and stealing my PCL reference while I was typing it... Jerk :D
Great minds flame alike.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:30 pm

This can't be serious.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Which schools qualify as "good" schools?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:32 pm

cubajean10 wrote:wow I did expect a fast response, but not that fast
OK, yes I understand all the good intended people that will lead me to re-analyze my reasoning for attending law school, thanks but no thanks :)
I'm just trying to get my head around what should I do now, is it worth it to still apply to law schools in that area or should I wait for next year or...what
Your GPA is at a 2.1 assuming you're a senior you'd have to get straight A's the next 2 semesters or 4 quarters (i dont know how UCD works) to slightly boost your gpa....It's worth a try, but killing the lsat would be your best bet. However, a great lsat with a low gpa may not get you top school since they'll have a plethora of qualified urms, orm candidates.

cubajean10

New

Post by cubajean10 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:34 pm

tooswolle wrote:
cubajean10 wrote:wow I did expect a fast response, but not that fast
Your GPA is at a 2.1 assuming you're a senior you'd have to get straight A's the next 2 semesters or 4 quarters (i dont know how UCD works) to slightly boost your gpa....It's worth a try, but killing the lsat would be your best bet. However, a great lsat with a low gpa may not get you top school since they'll have a plethora of qualified urms, orm candidates.
Thank you for the advice

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:37 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:I think that is the lowest GPA I've ever seen.
I have a 2.11, and am a 1L.

OP, you need to retake the LSAT. I would suggest ordering the Powerscore Bibles, and studying for the February LSAT. You might be a long shot to get in somewhere this year, so consider waiting to apply until next year's cycle.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Thirteen wrote:

OP, you need to retake the LSAT. I would suggest ordering the Powerscore Bibles, and studying for the February LSAT. You might be a long shot to get in somewhere this year, so consider waiting to apply until next year's cycle.
A 1L where? I'm honestly curious. You don't have to specify the school, but I'd really like to know the range.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:40 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
A 1L where? I'm honestly curious. You don't have to specify the school, but I'd really like to know the range.
there was a 2.2 admitted to NU this year. it's not that rare.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
Thirteen wrote:

SMU

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Don't go to law school unless you retake.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:46 pm

IAFG wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
That may be the case, but did the person have a good lsat? I'm just saying if you go in to a school with that level of competition with out having something that can help you compete your a fish dead in the water....just saying....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:50 pm

cubajean10 wrote:my UC Davis undergrad gpa is 2.1 I'm a polisci major (I'm a transfer student but my transfered classes dont count towards the gpa, I think they totaled 3)
Can't believe no one has mentioned this yet - your GPA counts both CC and UCD classes, so you're probably closer to a 2.5-2.6. I would still try to take a year off and raise that GPA above 3.0 if possible.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:52 pm

tooswolle wrote:
IAFG wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
That may be the case, but did the person have a good lsat? I'm just saying if you go in to a school with that level of competition with out having something that can help you compete your a fish dead in the water....just saying....
thirteen also had a good LSAT, not saying having 2 shitty numbers will get you anywhere, just that completely blowing UG is not a death sentence

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm

Southwestern would be friendly to you, I think. Or at least, much friendlier than say Loyola or Pepperdine, and definitely more so than USC or UCLA. I don't like discourage people from pursuing their dreams, but you should know that you're in for a rough road. It doesn't mean that you can't get admitted and rock the shit out of law school once you're in, but you really need to prove that you're more capable than your GPA would suggest.

tooswolle

Bronze

Post by tooswolle » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:57 pm

IAFG wrote:
tooswolle wrote:
IAFG wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
thirteen also had a good LSAT, not saying having 2 shitty numbers will get you anywhere, just that completely blowing UG is not a death sentence
I concur, that's why I told op to focus on the LSAT and have a good reason for the low gpa. However, with said numbers theres no way he's breaking in to a top school. Schools want people to compete not to get destroyed and people with the ranges for top school are the cream of the crop. That said best of luck to OP i hope you improve your score. P.S. what URM are you? if your Puerto Rican or Mexican you might get a substantial boost. If you're the other kind of hispanic you might not get so much of a boost.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”