Is work experience a boost for UGA?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JustE

Is work experience a boost for UGA?

Postby JustE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:21 am

(removed). I've been debating where to apply and have decided that unless I crack the top 20, or get some $$$$, at $14k for tuition, UGA is the best value and the best program for job prospects in Atlanta.

(removed) My current practice tests are right at 160 and I'm retaking the LSAT this Dec and Feb. I'm a first generation college grad with great softs, but no sad story.

Do I have a decent shot at UGA at 160? Is there any reason to go anywhere else if I don't break the T20 (unlikely) or get $$$?

Thanks!
Last edited by JustE on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

BruceWayne

Re: Is work experience a boost for UGA?

Postby BruceWayne » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:28 am

egirarde wrote:I'm an AA male and Atlanta resident. I've been debating where to apply and have decided that unless I crack the top 20, or get some $$$$, at $14k for tuition, UGA is the best value and the best program for job prospects in Atlanta.

I have 2.5 years of work experience at a great firm in the financial industry, a 3.31 GPA, cum laude (probably a 3.2 post conversion) and scored a 153 on my first LSAT without study. My current practice tests are right at 160 and I'm retaking the LSAT this Dec and Feb. I'm a first generation college grad with great softs, but no sad story.

Do I have a decent shot at UGA at 160? Is there any reason to go anywhere else if I don't break the T20 (unlikely) or get $$$?

Thanks!

If you get a 160 you'll probably get into Vanderbilt. Let alone UGA. UGA may offer you a scholarship if you get a 160. If you get a 160 and ED you'll get into UVA and maybe Duke. You might get into Northwestern ED as well.

JustE

Postby JustE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:31 am

BruceWayne wrote:
egirarde wrote:I'm an AA male and Atlanta resident. I've been debating where to apply and have decided that unless I crack the top 20, or get some $$$$, at $14k for tuition, UGA is the best value and the best program for job prospects in Atlanta.

I have 2.5 years of work experience at a great firm in the financial industry, a 3.31 GPA, cum laude (probably a 3.2 post conversion) and scored a 153 on my first LSAT without study. My current practice tests are right at 160 and I'm retaking the LSAT this Dec and Feb. I'm a first generation college grad with great softs, but no sad story.

Thanks!

If you get a 160 you'll probably get into Vanderbilt. Let alone UGA. UGA may offer you a scholarship if you get a 160. If you get a 160 and ED you'll get into UVA and maybe Duke. You might get into Northwestern ED as well.

Really? Every way I slice the numbers, even with URM, I need a 166 to have a shot at any of the schools you mentioned? I'm already too late for ED and I'm not sure I want to wait for Fall 2011 to apply.

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:37 am

You should be fine w/ uga. Yes, you will get a boost, how much is questionable tho

JustE

Postby JustE » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:10 am

Thanks for the good news. I'm still not sure Vandy is worth the extra $33k/yr in tuition if I'm staying in the SE. I'm confident in my ability to get the same job in Atlanta given my current network. Their reach outside the Southeast goes without saying. Still, leaving with under $80k in debt from UGA seems a bit better than $180k from Vandy. I would love to have my options wide open to relocate, but there would have to be one hell of a draw.

Return to “What are my chances?”