Best shot for $$$? (3.83/167)

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Killa $al

Best shot for $$$? (3.83/167)

Postby Killa $al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 am

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

So my stats are 3.83/167, likely retaking but not supremely confident that I'll get a higher score (PT average 170-171). I'm entirely paying for school, have pretty much no money saved, and don't think I'm willing to slave away at a big firm to pay off 150k in debt. As such, I'm looking for the best schools I can get into with half to full scholarships.

Anyone have any guesses to how much I'd likely get from these schools? Average softs if it matters.

GW
BC
BU
Wash U
ND
Illinois
W&M
Vandy/Cornell (do I have a decent shot getting in here?)

Do I have to look lower to get big money?

stratocophic

Re: Best shot for $$$? (3.83/167)

Postby stratocophic » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:37 am

Killa $al wrote:Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here.

So my stats are 3.83/167, likely retaking but not supremely confident that I'll get a higher score (PT average 170-171). I'm entirely paying for school, have pretty much no money saved, and don't think I'm willing to slave away at a big firm to pay off 150k in debt. As such, I'm looking for the best schools I can get into with half to full scholarships.

Anyone have any guesses to how much I'd likely get from these schools? Average softs if it matters.

GW
BC
BU
Wash U
ND
Illinois
W&M
Vandy/Cornell (do I have a decent shot getting in here?)

Do I have to look lower to get big money?
WashU and Illinois will both give you a ton of money, especially if you hit a 170ish on your retake. Those two are generally known for doling out the most money of the T25s, if that's your primary concern. Depending on your desired destination, Vandy's probably going to offer you the best placement/scholarship balance.

Killa $al

Postby Killa $al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:42 am

I don't really have a strong preference geographically, though if pushed I'd say anywhere in the eastern U.S. minus NY is ideal. It's tough to figure out what my best shots for money are, since scholarship reporting on LSN is shaky at best.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:59 am

Killa $al wrote:I don't really have a strong preference geographically, though if pushed I'd say anywhere in the eastern U.S. minus NY is ideal. It's tough to figure out what my best shots for money are, since scholarship reporting on LSN is shaky at best.
My perception on amounts you might get:
WUSTL/Illinois (WUSTL generally offers more at the upper levels, in my experience, but Illinois is usually pretty close if they do fall behind)
ND/BC/BU
GW (they have/had a full-ride ED scholarship... it's pretty competitive though and I dunno what the deadline is)
Vandy
Cornell

This all changes if your retake is a 169 plus. Vandy would pull closer to the top of the list (but still probably won't pass the midwestern schools), and Cornell might throw a more significant amount of money your well as well. BC/BU can be fairly generous but are offset by higher COL expenses, as is GW. I don't know a ton about ND's aid habits. This is my perception of these schools, developed after hours and pointless hours of poring over this kind of thing last cycle, but I'm most familiar with WUSTL/Illinois/Vandy. It's going to be largely case-by-case for $ between different schools - WUSTL gave me more scholarship money than Illinois, but that wasn't the case for most people, IIRC. Vandy gave me very little, but significantly more to people with LSATs that were 5-7 points lower than mine w/ much better GPAs. I left off W&M because IMO you're best served by attending one of the others if they don't give you a full ride outright, but that's a personal thing. Still a good chance the midwestern schools would give you more than them if you kill your retake, since they've got to convince people to go out there one way or another. Also, I don't remember the LSAT medians for ND/BC/BU offhand, and I'm not super familiar with ND and GW, so this list might be flawed. LSN's going to be about as good as it gets for info, imperfect though it be. Best of luck.

Killa $al

Postby Killa $al » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:41 am

Thanks for all the great info!

Soooo frustrating that I dipped a few points below my PT average, but it seems like lots of people do that. Does anyone have experience with retaking in December but telling schools to review your app with the old score? I'm a bit worried that something's gonna go wrong if I retake, but I don't know what.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Killa $al wrote:Thanks for all the great info!

Soooo frustrating that I dipped a few points below my PT average, but it seems like lots of people do that. Does anyone have experience with retaking in December but telling schools to review your app with the old score? I'm a bit worried that something's gonna go wrong if I retake, but I don't know what.

wondering this as well...

Return to “What are my chances?”