. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jbptls

New

Re: Mentioning age in personal statement? 4.0/173

Post by jbptls » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:42 pm

I have a substantial amount of credits from AP tests. I understand why this would look bad on a transcript and wonder if an addenda would help. Though my goal was not to blaze through college, it made sense to graduate early and save the $$$ if it was possible to do so. Would this be addenda worthy? Even if the decision was more of a practical one then a financial one?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:43 pm

jbptls wrote:I have a substantial amount of credits from AP tests. I understand why this would look bad on a transcript and wonder if an addenda would help. Though my goal was not to blaze through college, it made sense to graduate early and save the $$$ if it was possible to do so. Would this be addenda worthy? Even if the decision was more of a practical one then a financial one?
One line.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Veyron wrote:Ummmm, OP specifically asked about T7 (although he seems to have edited it out), was assuming he was referring to Penn also since he didn't say T6. I don't dispute that the generally accepted tiers on this here chatblog are HYS CCN MVPB (although whether this makes any sense is a whole 'nother argument and one that we need not have here).
So, egregious anti-B-specific Penn trolling.

jbptls

New

Re: Mentioning young age in personal statement? 4.0/173

Post by jbptls » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:52 pm

One line addenda?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:53 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Veyron wrote:Ummmm, OP specifically asked about T7 (although he seems to have edited it out), was assuming he was referring to Penn also since he didn't say T6. I don't dispute that the generally accepted tiers on this here chatblog are HYS CCN MVPB (although whether this makes any sense is a whole 'nother argument and one that we need not have here).
So, egregious anti-B-specific Penn trolling.
Meh, mostly when people want to tack a school onto the T-6 outside of CA its Penn. Placement backs this up. If OP was from Calli I would have tagged B instead.

Yes, a one line addenda, 2 at most. This is simply not that important.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:55 pm

I don't think you need any addendum. You have lots of AP credits and you logically decided not to waste tons of money spending extra time fucking around in college.

Sounds fairly self-explanatory to me.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:57 pm

Oh yeah, I should probably provide some kind of useful advice:

I agree that age is not something you should write an addendum about. What are you going to say? "I know I'm young, but I'm really mature . . . I SWEAR!" If I were an AdComm member I'd probably :roll: while reading it. But that's just my $0.02.

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Post by D-ROCCA » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Addendum - singular
Addenda - plural
HTH

jbptls

New

Post by jbptls » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:02 pm

I said Top 7 because I thought it was a logical split of the Top 14. I see the error in my ways now. Here is my concern about leaving out the addendum. If someone views my numbers and puts me into the good pile, they are going to reread looking for some reason to reject me. I agree that deciding to graduate early is fairly self explanatory, but are they going to question why something like this would not be mentioned at all in the application? My transcript is good, but I doubt a block of AP credits goes without notice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

D-ROCCA

Bronze

Post by D-ROCCA » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Which is why you should write the one line addendum.

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:05 pm

jbptls wrote:I said Top 7 because I thought it was a logical split of the Top 14. I see the error in my ways now. Here is my concern about leaving out the addendum. If someone views my numbers and puts me into the good pile, they are going to reread looking for some reason to reject me. I agree that deciding to graduate early is fairly self explanatory, but are they going to question why something like this would not be mentioned at all in the application? My transcript is good, but a block of AP credits goes without notice.
I would add that many apps have slots for work during specific years (ie freshman, sophomore, Junior, Senior). I think answers to these would seem deficient without explanation to the circumstances (i.e. addendum)

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Veyron wrote:Meh, mostly when people want to tack a school onto the T-6 outside of CA its Penn. Placement backs this up. If OP was from Calli I would have tagged B instead.
No it doesn't.

MVP are regarded as equivalent for a reason. I've even spoken to placement counselors at both UVA and Penn who referred to the schools as peer schools in terms of placement. It's HYS/CCN/B/MVP. Sometimes B is lumped in with MVP, but putting Penn clearly above it or any of the other schools in it's tier is ridiculous.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:23 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Veyron wrote:Meh, mostly when people want to tack a school onto the T-6 outside of CA its Penn. Placement backs this up. If OP was from Calli I would have tagged B instead.
No it doesn't.

MVP are regarded as equivalent for a reason. I've even spoken to placement counselors at both UVA and Penn who referred to the schools as peer schools in terms of placement. It's HYS/CCN/B/MVP. Sometimes B is lumped in with MVP, but putting Penn clearly above it or any of the other schools in it's tier is ridiculous.
Yes, obvi UVA and Penn are peers. Penn has (marginaly) superior NYC placement, UVA has (marginaly) superior D.C. placement. NYC counts for more overall. The only place in the world that B outplaces MVP is in California. However, placing 30% at OCI as opposed to 50%+ definately drops B down a notch elsewhere. When I've seen B outside of the MVP range, its always been below it, not above it, due to its dismal OCIs.

Then again, you ARE from California so I guess you can be excused.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Veyron wrote:Yes, obvi UVA and Penn are peers. Penn has (marginaly) superior NYC placement, UVA has (marginaly) superior D.C. placement. NYC counts for more overall. The only place in the world that B outplaces MVP is in California. When I've seen B outside of the MVP range, its always been below it, not above it, due to its dismal OCIs.

I'm not from CA, which just completes how wrong your entire post is.

Penn does not give you better placement odds in NYC. It places a higher percentage of its grads in NYC, but that's largely self-selection. UVA places less of its class in NYC, but not because Penn has "superior placement"; UVA grads just choose not to go to NYC at higher rates (they go to DC or elsewhere). Talking about Penn's "superior placement in NYC" is misleading.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Veyron wrote:Yes, obvi UVA and Penn are peers. Penn has (marginaly) superior NYC placement, UVA has (marginaly) superior D.C. placement. NYC counts for more overall. The only place in the world that B outplaces MVP is in California. When I've seen B outside of the MVP range, its always been below it, not above it, due to its dismal OCIs.

I'm not from CA, which just completes how wrong your entire post is.
Ok, brah, why don't you go ask some B kids how their OCI went then. There are a few on here.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:30 pm

The best part about this whole thread is that VW went to UVA and everybody has ignored it to this point.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:39 pm

[/quote]

Penn does not give you better placement odds in NYC. It places a higher percentage of its grads in NYC, but that's largely self-selection. UVA places less of its class in NYC, but not because Penn has "superior placement"; UVA grads just choose not to go to NYC at higher rates (they go to DC or elsewhere). Talking about Penn's "superior placement in NYC" is misleading.[/quote]

Um, we have more NYC slots per student at OCI. Also firms have more Penn grads doing hiring. Also also, Penn does have a stronger reputation in the City. Penn for NYC, UVA for DC is well known. This is just silly.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:02 pm

We're talking about Penn State, right?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:13 pm

No one gives a shit about these marginal comparisons between Penn and UVA. Take your school epeen measurements elsewhere - for non twats they are EQUAL.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:17 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:No one gives a shit about these marginal comparisons between Penn and UVA. Take your school epeen measurements elsewhere - for non twats they are EQUAL.
not to support veyron's trolling but i think the rules are being re-written ITE and we're all still getting a handle on how schools that we had assumed were peers might not actually be, or might not place equally in markets that are hiring relatively aggressively. i don't think these discussions are completely frivolous.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:22 pm

IAFG wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:No one gives a shit about these marginal comparisons between Penn and UVA. Take your school epeen measurements elsewhere - for non twats they are EQUAL.
not to support veyron's trolling but i think the rules are being re-written ITE and we're all still getting a handle on how schools that we had assumed were peers might not actually be, or might not place equally in markets that are hiring relatively aggressively. i don't think these discussions are completely frivolous.
This is very true. I remember when Chicago was considered to place far better than NYU. Likewise, when NU was considered to place markedly worse than Mich, etc. Times they are a-changing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbptls

New

Post by jbptls » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:28 pm

though I do not wish to violate decorum by interrupting the current conversation, can anyone else shed light on whether or not to include an addendum?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:33 pm

jbptls wrote:though I do not wish to violate decorum by interrupting the current conversation, can anyone else shed light on whether or not to include an addendum?
NO

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:36 pm

jbptls wrote:though I do not wish to violate decorum by interrupting the current conversation, can anyone else shed light on whether or not to include an addendum?
Objection, asked and answered.

Older Chest

Bronze

Post by Older Chest » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:38 pm

In my opinion, there is no need to mention your age in an addendum or personal statement. From what I've seen on TLS and LSN, law schools typically eschew younger candidates (probably due to perceived lack of maturity/perspective). Best case scenario with your application would be that an Add Comm does not notice your age, and the worst case would be if they do.

With your numbers, you stand a very good shot at a top program. No need to sabotage your chances with an unnecessary addendum.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”