. Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jbptls

New

Re: Mentioning young age in personal statement? 4.0/173

Post by jbptls » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:11 pm

Long Live Jacox wrote:In my opinion, there is no need to mention your age in an addendum or personal statement. From what I've seen on TLS and LSN, law schools typically eschew younger candidates (probably due to perceived lack of maturity/perspective). Best case scenario with your application would be that an Add Comm does not notice your age, and the worst case would be if they do.

With your numbers, you stand a very good shot at a top program. No need to sabotage your chances with an unnecessary addendum.
I feel that the worse case scenario is likely since they will see less grades on my transcript. Assuming they will certainly notice that, do you still advice against the addendum?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:13 pm

jbptls wrote:
Long Live Jacox wrote:In my opinion, there is no need to mention your age in an addendum or personal statement. From what I've seen on TLS and LSN, law schools typically eschew younger candidates (probably due to perceived lack of maturity/perspective). Best case scenario with your application would be that an Add Comm does not notice your age, and the worst case would be if they do.

With your numbers, you stand a very good shot at a top program. No need to sabotage your chances with an unnecessary addendum.
I feel that the worse case scenario is likely since they will see less grades on my transcript. Assuming they will certainly notice that, do you still advice against the addendum?
Find other ways to demonstrate maturity to them. Ask your LOR professors to mention it, highlight internships and work experience, etc. I just can't see a good way to bring it up, though maybe someone else can.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:18 pm

I think you're asking us because you're proud of graduating early and being young and think you should be able to leverage it somehow. Any addendum you write will probably hurt you more than help.

jbptls

New

Post by jbptls » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:26 pm

IAFG wrote:I think you're asking us because you're proud of graduating early and being young and think you should be able to leverage it somehow. Any addendum you write will probably hurt you more than help.
Most top undergrad schools do not accept AP tests as credit, but I went to a lower ranked school that did. As I said earlier this is the main thing which allowed me to graduate early. I am well aware that most applicants to law school could have done the same thing , but instead went to a more prestigious undergrad. so I do not see it as anything worth leveraging. I am looking to avoid being hurt by the practical decision to use these credits to graduate early.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:29 pm

stop making a mountain out of a mole and close this pointless thread.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:32 pm

IAFG wrote:I think you're asking us because you're proud of graduating early and being young and think you should be able to leverage it somehow. Any addendum you write will probably hurt you more than help.
I was gonna quote money bag's answer (dont mention it specifically- just talk about how mature you are in your PS),

But the quoted text gets my +1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”