Chances

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ktaraq

Chances

Postby ktaraq » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:01 pm

absent, cancel, cancel, 163
gpa: 3.63
good work experience
great LORs (none however from a professor)
great PS (unique work history/experiences)

I'm having a hard time figuring out what are "good" and "safe" schools. Money is not a factor in applying, so I am going to apply to a ton of reach schools. If you guys could ascertain my chances by either confirming the below or filling in "safe" or "good" that would be awesome. Also, I'm only looking at schools in NJ/NY/PA/MA/DC. This would really help me narrow down schools that I will apply to. Thank you!!

NYU - Reach
Columbia - Reach
Georgetown - Reach
UPenn - Reach
Northwestern - Reach
Boston University -
Boston College -
Fordham -
Temple -
Brooklyn Law -
Seton Hall -
Villanova -
RU Camden -
RU Newark -
American -
GW -
William and Mary (fee waiver, I know its VA) -
Penn State -
Loyola -
Drexel -

Dr. Strangelove

Re: Chances

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:05 pm

What's your explanation for the one absent and two cancels?
That will strongly affect your chances..

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:10 pm

I read many places it wouldn't? I wasn't serious about law school for the absence. Changes in life experiences made it more serious. Sick first time, second time, didnt feel confident. Why is it a big deal?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:13 pm

ktaraq wrote:I read many places it wouldn't? I wasn't serious about law school for the absence. Changes in life experiences made it more serious. Sick first time, second time, didnt feel confident. Why is it a big deal?

The key is to never leave the adcoms with questions. If a poster who is barely skimming your record immediately notices your cancellations and absences, then the adcoms certainly will as well. And they will have questions. The general idea is this: If you leave the adcoms with questions, where there are equally possible inferences and explanations, they will assume the most negative. That is why you should probably include an addendum explaining your reasons. It can only help you to do so.

TheOcho

Postby TheOcho » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:21 pm

ktaraq wrote:absent, cancel, cancel, 163
gpa: 3.63
good work experience
great LORs (none however from a professor)
great PS (unique work history/experiences)

I'm having a hard time figuring out what are "good" and "safe" schools. Money is not a factor in applying, so I am going to apply to a ton of reach schools. If you guys could ascertain my chances by either confirming the below or filling in "safe" or "good" that would be awesome. Also, I'm only looking at schools in NJ/NY/PA/MA/DC. This would really help me narrow down schools that I will apply to. Thank you!!

NYU -Out
Columbia -Out
Georgetown -Out
UPenn -Out
Northwestern -Out
Boston University - Probably Out
Boston College -Maybe
Fordham -Maybe
Temple - In
Brooklyn Law - In
Seton Hall - In
Villanova - In
RU Camden -In
RU Newark - In
American - Not sure
GW - Out
William and Mary (fee waiver, I know its VA) - Out
Penn State - In
Loyola - In
Drexel -In

You should consider a retake.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:23 pm

Normally, I would advise someone with a 163 who wanted to practice in big cities on the East Coast to retake, but I don't know know what to say to you.

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:24 pm

NYU - Out
Columbia - Out
Georgetown - Out
UPenn - Out
Northwestern - Unlikely
Boston University - Unlikely
Boston College - 50/50
Fordham -50/50
Temple - In
Brooklyn Law - In
Seton Hall - In
Villanova - In
RU Camden - In
RU Newark - In
American -In
GW - Unlikely
William and Mary (fee waiver, I know its VA) -50/50
Penn State -In
Loyola - In
Drexel -In

Good luck!
This is just based on your stats alone.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:27 pm

dakatz wrote:
ktaraq wrote:I read many places it wouldn't? I wasn't serious about law school for the absence. Changes in life experiences made it more serious. Sick first time, second time, didnt feel confident. Why is it a big deal?

The key is to never leave the adcoms with questions. If a poster who is barely skimming your record immediately notices your cancellations and absences, then the adcoms certainly will as well. And they will have questions. The general idea is this: If you leave the adcoms with questions, where there are equally possible inferences and explanations, they will assume the most negative. That is why you should probably include an addendum explaining your reasons. It can only help you to do so.

Thanks for your advice. I didn't think about that. How much do you think my addendum smooth over my LSAT mishaps faux pas?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:NYU - Out
Columbia - Out
Georgetown - Out
UPenn - Out
Northwestern - Unlikely
Boston University - Unlikely
Boston College - 50/50
Fordham -50/50
Temple - In
Brooklyn Law - In
Seton Hall - In
Villanova - In
RU Camden - In
RU Newark - In
American -In
GW - Unlikely
William and Mary (fee waiver, I know its VA) -50/50
Penn State -In
Loyola - In
Drexel -In

Good luck!
This is just based on your stats alone.

He is very much out at BC, BU, Fordham and GW. A thousand years of work experience wouldn't get him into Northwestern.
Last edited by plenipotentiary on Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:29 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Normally, I would advise someone with a 163 who wanted to practice in big cities on the East Coast to retake, but I don't know know what to say to you.

I'm not sure what to respond. Lol, no but in all seriousness, is it because of the cancels and absence? Hmm... I mean I am okay with going to Rutgers or SHU if it boils down to it. I am very well networked in NJ.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:35 pm

ktaraq wrote:
dakatz wrote:

Thanks for your advice. I didn't think about that. How much do you think my addendum smooth over my LSAT mishaps faux pas?

I couldn't possibly know. Depends on each individual case (and the hope that you don't come off sounding like you are a habitual excuse-maker). Getting sick surely will be excused quickly. No one can hold that against you. As for changes in life experience, you need to explain that, because that could mean a million different things, some excusable and some not.

Saying that you simply weren't ready doesn't exactly sound great, but perhaps you can frame it in a more positive way. Say you had a sudden upswing in your score and wanted to make sure you reached your full potential on the test (assuming of course that this is true). The only real worry is that all these excuses build up and make you sound like someone who makes a habit out of it.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:45 pm

ktaraq wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:Normally, I would advise someone with a 163 who wanted to practice in big cities on the East Coast to retake, but I don't know know what to say to you.

I'm not sure what to respond. Lol, no but in all seriousness, is it because of the cancels and absence? Hmm... I mean I am okay with going to Rutgers or SHU if it boils down to it. I am very well networked in NJ.

If you are well networked, then you know how bad the legal market is. Do you have a job lined up?

ktaraq

Postby ktaraq » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:49 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
ktaraq wrote:

If you are well networked, then you know how bad the legal market is. Do you have a job lined up?

Haha no need to get haughty. It couldn't hurt right? Ok next question, so would you all say I'm safe at the following schools? Or do you I need to shoot lower. Thanks for the advice guys, it's really helping.

14. Brooklyn Law
15. University of Pittsburgh
16. Villanova
17. Pennsylvania State
18. Seton Hall
19. Temple
20. Rutgers Camden
21. Rutgers Newark

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:31 pm

Out
NYU - Reach
Columbia - Reach
Georgetown - Reach
UPenn - Reach
Northwestern - Reach
Boston University -
Boston College -
Fordham -
GW -
William and Mary

In
Temple -
Brooklyn Law -
Seton Hall -
Villanova -
RU Camden -
RU Newark -
American -
Penn State -
Loyola -
Drexel -

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:50 pm

im_blue wrote:Out
NYU - Reach
Columbia - Reach
Georgetown - Reach
UPenn - Reach
Northwestern - Reach
Boston University -
Boston College -
Fordham -
GW -
William and Mary

In
Temple -
Brooklyn Law -
Seton Hall -
Villanova -
RU Camden -
RU Newark -
American -
Penn State -
Loyola -
Drexel -

TITCR. Most likely WL'd at BU, BC, Fordham, GW and W&M.

Return to “What are my chances?”