3.56 GPA, 170 LSAT: Michigan ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
kpuc

3.56 GPA, 170 LSAT: Michigan ED?

Postby kpuc » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:11 am

I'm re-taking in Dec, but I'm seriously considering applying next cycle so I can ED to NYU.

I'm just curious what my chances are without the re-take, if I apply ED to Michigan next cycle.

Thanks!

im_blue

Re: 3.56 GPA, 170 LSAT: Michigan ED?

Postby im_blue » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:41 am

If you ED Michigan, you're probably around 50-60%. If you want NYU, get a 172-173 and ED next year.

FishOil

Postby FishOil » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:21 am

Nice. I'm in the exact same boat as you my friend. 3.58, 170, retake in December.

For me, I haven't really been on top of the application process (haven't even approached my LORs yet). That coupled with my strong conviction that I will get to 172-174 and would love me some NYU or at least a little money at a T10 has me applying next cycle (Oct. 1 FTW, lol). I think the year off would be nice as well, planning to either pick up some WE or do some volunteer work back home through Americorps. (maybe get a little ahead of the 1L game? lol doubtful but perhaps).

Just throwing out my decision since we are in a similar situation. :D hope that helps

kpuc

Postby kpuc » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:31 am

FishOil wrote:Nice. I'm in the exact same boat as you my friend. 3.58, 170, retake in December.

For me, I haven't really been on top of the application process (haven't even approached my LORs yet). That coupled with my strong conviction that I will get to 172-174 and would love me some NYU or at least a little money at a T10 has me applying next cycle (Oct. 1 FTW, lol). I think the year off would be nice as well, planning to either pick up some WE or do some volunteer work back home through Americorps. (maybe get a little ahead of the 1L game? lol doubtful but perhaps).

Just throwing out my decision since we are in a similar situation. :D hope that helps

We're practically the same! Which college did you graduate from?

I'm also thinking of taking a year off. Maybe teach English in China. I too would like the best shot I can get at Columbia or NYU, but if not, I'd be happy to "settle" for Michigan. I see no hurry to rush into law school, though my parents seem to want to push me in sooner rather than later.

FishOil

Postby FishOil » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Yeah I think taking a year off to do something you enjoy that also looks good to schools can't be a bad thing. It will be good for me to recharge after undergrad so I can hit 1L ready to go.

I too would like the best shot I can get at Columbia or NYU, but if not, I'd be happy to "settle" for Michigan.

As far as this goes, a retake in December/February plus ED next cycle really gives us the best shot at NYU/Columbia. In addition to this I am going to make sure my PS is polished, my complete application is very marketable, and that I write a good "Why Michigan" essay. (and gonna apply to most T6-T17)

This should be enough to get some money at one of my targeted schools, or in the worst case scenario just some good acceptances.

O and I am graduating from UC Irvine. Sorry Chemerinsky, I am not taking chances. lol

As for the parents, just sit them down and lay out the facts to them.

Return to “What are my chances?”