167/4.09 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
ATR

Silver

Re: 167/4.09

Post by ATR » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:46 pm

JG Hall wrote:
atresia wrote:Oh, I agree with you about UG prestige being incidental once you enter LS. But I wanted to address the misconception that private colleges are generally more expensive than public colleges. If anything, the opposite may be true. The misconception detrimentally influenced my original college search, so I always try to bring up this issue when I see it being discussed.
No and... umm... no. Uber-prestige is relevant to OCI. Also, http://www.campusgrotto.com/highest-tui ... -2011.html
I never asserted anything is a cut-and-dry case, but are you really disagreeing that private colleges can offer better financial aid packages than public colleges?

However, I'm not sure about how UG prestige functions in OCI, so I should have refrained from making that statement.

Not sure why you posted that link. You don't know where I go to school.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:29 am

atresia wrote:
JG Hall wrote:
atresia wrote:Oh, I agree with you about UG prestige being incidental once you enter LS. But I wanted to address the misconception that private colleges are generally more expensive than public colleges. If anything, the opposite may be true. The misconception detrimentally influenced my original college search, so I always try to bring up this issue when I see it being discussed.
No and... umm... no. Uber-prestige is relevant to OCI. Also, http://www.campusgrotto.com/highest-tui ... -2011.html
I never asserted anything is a cut-and-dry case, but are you really disagreeing that private colleges can offer better financial aid packages than public colleges?

However, I'm not sure about how UG prestige functions in OCI, so I should have refrained from making that statement.

Not sure why you posted that link. You don't know where I go to school.
The point was that a) prestige does matter when you get to law school, and b) that list was basically all private schools (so they're not exactly cheaper than public schools).

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:14 am

naterj wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
naterj wrote:
Ragged wrote:Retake LSAT - get 173+. Go to HYS

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:19 am

JG Hall wrote:The point was that a) prestige does matter when you get to law school, and b) that list was basically all private schools (so they're not exactly cheaper than public schools).
I wasn't clear about what I meant by using "expensive." I meant that what the student actually pays can be less at private schools, not the official cost of attendance... my mistake.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:22 am

JazzOne wrote:
Ragged wrote:Retake LSAT - get 173+. Go to HYS

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:26 am

naterj wrote:First, please don't edit my posts to make me look like an idiot. Second, OP is not getting into HYS with a 162 and a 167 on his record. hth.

Although we don't know if HYS strictly averages we do know that they actually do consider all of an applicants scores reported. With that said, OPs chances at HYS are minimal at best considering he has a 162 and a 167 so telling him to retake and that he has a shot at T3 is pretty shitty advice.

OP probably won't break T6 but has great chances at Boalt on down.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:44 am

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:59 am

naterj and OP, the 162 and 167 will certainly not help and HYS is not gonna be a lock (almost never is). But with a stellar GPA and a high enough third retake and an addendum OP should have a solid shot of getting atleast one of the three.

Also, Columbia drops lower scores if they are 5+ points apart. With a 173+ and a 4.04 OP will probably get a great scholly there and at the rest of the T6. If money is a concern (and it seems to be judging form the descussion) that might be a more desired outcome of retaking.

HTH

pppokerface

Bronze

Post by pppokerface » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:22 am

stratocophic wrote:
raeq63 wrote:what are my chances at ucla, usc, wustl, mich, and ucb (w/ $$ if at all possible)?

the 167 is a retake (162 first time), and I've got good LORs
In at WUSTL and USC, chance at UCLA/Michigan, UCB is the least likely, especially if you're not a minority (54% of last year's class). You'll get the most money at WUSTL, probably less at USC, and substantially less anywhere else. Check LSN for a more accurate picture of $ and WLs.
UCB is Berkley right? I thought that they stopped AA in cali.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”