174 LSAT 3.16 GPA Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
miltownpanther

New

174 LSAT 3.16 GPA

Post by miltownpanther » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:45 pm

Hi folks! I don't know if anyone will be able to help me but I figured it couldn't hurt. I really appreciate anyone who will take the time to read this and give me an informative and honest response. I would like to go to University of Chicago, Northwestern, or University of Michigan.

Here are a few details about me:

-my sole LSAT score was 174 from Oct. 2010, while my cumulative undergrad. GPA was 3.16 (and I went to mediocre UW-Milwaukee, graduating January 2010). My GPA did increase fairly steadily throughout college, with my final 2 semesters being about 3.7 and 3.8, respectively (and I did not take particularly easy classes, either). If you might find it helpful, consider checking out this graph I made of my GPA by semester, which also includes averages of my first and last four semesters: http://www.chartgo.com/share.do?id=01da59feaa

-I am totally fluent in Spanish (it was also my undergrad. major), having traveled significantly in Latin America (visiting seven different countries). I worked as a paid journalist in Venezuela for a semester, and I have also worked as an official interpreter for unemployment compensation hearings.

-Since my graduation I have worked as a paralegal for a public interest law firm dealing primarily with Spanish speaking clients. I previously worked for 7 years for a highly rated employment/civil rights attorney in Milwaukee.

-I did a significant amount of progressive political organizing during college, founding and leading several student & community organizations which received over $150,000 in grant money under my leadership. I am also the secretary of the Executive Committee of a large statewide anti-war organization which has over 1000 paid members, and have served on the board for the past 6 years.

(-With regards to Michigan, both my father and grandfather went to law school there -- I have no clue if that impacts the likelihood of admittance or not but I thought I'd mention it).

Thanks for anyone who is willing and able to give me a sense of what my odds might be! :mrgreen:

miltownpanther

New

Re: 174 LSAT 3.16 GPA

Post by miltownpanther » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:58 pm

I am not URM, by the way. Thanks again!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:59 pm

Strong candidate for admission to Northwestern and Michigan. Conventional wisdom suggests that an early decision (ED) application to NU should result in good news for you.

miltownpanther

New

Post by miltownpanther » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:01 pm

Do you think it's worth applying to University of Chicago? Oh and I'm new to all this so I don't know what an ED application means exactly? Thank you!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:05 pm

An ED application becomes a binding committment to attend that particular law school if accepted & if you attend law school that cycle. Not a wise option for those in need of significant financial aid since schools don't have to bid for you to attend.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:05 pm

You should apply to UChi just in case but it isn't happening.

Michigan you got a shot. Early Decision would help but they make you do Summer start I think.

Northwestern you've got a decent shot. Early Decision would make it a great shot.

miltownpanther

New

Post by miltownpanther » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:06 pm

CanadianWolf -- so is that something that you mention somewhere in the application? what happens if you select that and then back out? shouldn't i just put binding commitment to whatever my preferred (highest ranked) school is?

DesertFox -- just wondering what you base your information on? on one of the law school predictor sites it says that at Michigan i'm a "consider", but then when I put 3.35 in for my gpa it shoots straight to "admit" (since my gpa average went up, and i had a ton of extracurriculars and work experience, this might seem to be fairly accurate in terms of how my application will appear no?)

with U of Chicago, if i'm not going to get in, then why spent the money on the application fee?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:08 pm

Use http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com rather than LSP.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:08 pm

miltownpanther wrote:CanadianWolf -- so is that something that you mention somewhere in the application? what happens if you select that and then back out? shouldn't i just put binding commitment to whatever my preferred (highest ranked) school is?

DesertFox -- just wondering what you base your information on? on one of the law school predictor sites it says that at Michigan i'm a "consider", but then when I put 3.35 in for my gpa it shoots straight to "admit" (since my gpa average went up, and i had a ton of extracurriculars and work experience, this might seem to be fairly accurate in terms of how my application will appear no?)

with U of Chicago, if i'm not going to get in, then why spent the money on the application fee?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com is better than law school predictor.

A lot of people with better numbers got WL'd and rejected at Michigan last year.

Damn, Cockblocked by BK

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:14 pm

It's easy to do when I provide less information. :P

UChi is unlikely, but I think a hundred bucks is worth a 5% chance of getting into UChi.

ED is a binding contract and you can only have one out at a time. You sign a form (or at least digitally sign it) saying you will attend that school if you get accepted and withdraw from all other schools. You cannot back out unless you decide to withdraw and not go to any law school that year. You would then have to wait to apply next cycle if you still wanted law school. You should ED only if you are willing to pay sticker at that school. Some people prefer a larger scholly at a lower school than sticker at a higher school. You should also ED tactically because you only get one (with some small caveats that you can get more if they have later deadlines) and it would be a waste to ED somewhere where you have no shot at all even with ED.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “What are my chances?”