chance me please 165/3.5 URM(Hispanic) Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

chance me please 165/3.5 URM(Hispanic)

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:16 pm

What are my chances here??

Columbia
NYU
UChicago
UPenn
UVA
Cornell
Georgetown
USC
UCLA
Notre Dame
Fordham
George Washington

asuusa

New

Re: chance me please 165/3.5 URM(Hispanic)

Post by asuusa » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:15 pm

I don't know- I have similar numbers- 167/3.36/URM (Hispanic). I'm trying for a lot of those schools. I ED'd to Virginia, and I'm going for UT, Gerogetown, and Cornell. I have no clue how my cycle's going to be, and I don't know much about yours, but I wish you the best!

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:42 am

bump please

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:bump please
According to TLS wisdom, if you are an "other" Hispanic (not Mexican-American, not PR) you do not get the URM bump. There is no real solid evidence for this, however, only anecdotal instances of bump/no bump and it seems to vary widely by school as to how they see you (again if other Hispanic). I don't know what you should do, but try all those schools. All I'm saying is do not listen to the "no chance", "you'll get no bump" "numbers only" echoes you'll hear. Cast a wide net and see what you catch. And schools do take into account socioeconomic diversity as well. Just keep an open mind and don't assume anything based on a large amount of speculation. Good luck.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:45 pm

I had very similar numbers, same GPA but a little higher LSAT. I am hispanic as well, so my cycle will probably be a decent guide. Though if you are Mexican or Puerto Rican (I am a small part Puerto Rican, but mostly south american), your results will differ greatly. Assuming you are south american hispanic, you are almost certainly out at Columbia, NYU, Chicago, Penn, UVA, and Georgetown. USC and UCLA are reaches, as is Cornell. However, you at least have a shot because your south american heritage may provide a marginal boost. I would say you have a fairly solid shot at Notre Dame, Fordham, and GW. I think you really need to reassess your school range, because this is all reaches with a few targets. You need to apply to more target schools. You don't even have any safeties listed. Definitely take some time to re-do this list with more targets and safeties.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:48 pm

I am Dominican, do you think I have the same advantages as some one from Puerto Rico? Wisdom tells me that I should being that in the top law schools there are one of the more under represented Hispanic minority group...let me know what you think.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:I am Dominican, do you think I have the same advantages as some one from Puerto Rico? Wisdom tells me that I should being that in the top law schools there are one of the more under represented Hispanic minority group...let me know what you think.
If you aren't Puerto Rican or Mexican, you won't get that big of (if ANY) boost.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Sinra wrote:
According to TLS wisdom, if you are an "other" Hispanic (not Mexican-American, not PR) you do not get the URM bump. There is no real solid evidence for this, however, only anecdotal instances of bump/no bump and it seems to vary widely by school as to how they see you (again if other Hispanic). I don't know what you should do, but try all those schools. All I'm saying is do not listen to the "no chance", "you'll get no bump" "numbers only" echoes you'll hear. Cast a wide net and see what you catch. And schools do take into account socioeconomic diversity as well. Just keep an open mind and don't assume anything based on a large amount of speculation. Good luck.
I think if you can demonstrate a tie to Latino heritage, ie, bilingual, etc. then you have it made regardless of whether you are Mexican, other or Puerto Rican.
I think it's stupid for anyone to think that simply checking the box "Mexican" will give you a boost. The Mexican who doesn't know one word of spanish is going to get a boost over the "other Hispanic" who is bilingual??? I think not!
I don't know whose wisdom your talking about. I think it's plain stupidity to think that checking a box without any tie to one's heritage will give you a boost.

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:52 pm

masterthearts wrote:
Sinra wrote:
I think if you can demonstrate a tie to Latino heritage, ie, bilingual, etc. then you have it made regardless of whether you are Mexican, other or Puerto Rican.
I think it's stupid for anyone to think that simply checking the box "Mexican" will give you a boost. The Mexican who doesn't know one word of spanish is going to get a boost over the "other Hispanic" who is bilingual??? I think not!
I don't know whose wisdom your talking about. I think it's plain stupidity to think that checking a box without any tie to one's heritage will give you a boost.
I fully support racial preferences in admission, but the statement above is wrong. Law schools do not care about the connection to a heritage. They care about being able to say we have X number of Y race of students.

EDIT: You are reaching with the T10, but you have a real shot at UCLA, UT, Gtown range.
Last edited by grrrstick on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 pm

masterthearts wrote:
Sinra wrote:
Too bad it does. Why do you think the box is even there if they really cared about you showing heritage. All they report for ethnic diversity is what ethnicity you are not how well versed you are in the culture of xxx.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:00 pm

grrrstick wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
Sinra wrote:
I fully support racial preferences in admission, but the statement above is wrong. Law schools do not care about the connection to a heritage. They care about being able to say we have X number of Y race of students.

Well, that's why they won't care if you are mexican, puerto rican, or other hispanic..plain and simple.
Some schools, like U michigan WILL want to see diversity, a tie to one's heritage, etc. I understand that when they read the apps, the part that states the race and ethnicity is blanked out..so they can't tell if you are white, green or purple. But if you can speak to your heritage and what makes you diverse....then you're in
that's my take on it.

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:00 am

You are incorrect, they are well aware as to what minority group you identify yourself with in regards to LSAC or the application you filled out for the school. . To say that someone wouldn't say be considered Mexican-American because they don't speak Spanish or aren't "in touch with the culture" is ridiculous. How the hell would one be able to describe what a legitimate connection to a culture is? You can't, because the experience of being MA, PR, AA, etc. isn't universal for all those involved. If you report you are MA you are MA, you don't have to somehow "prove" you're a URM. They are attempting to match national demographics in many instances, thus with Puetro Ricans and Mexican-Americans making up a large majority of the Hispanic demographics it would make sense for them to get a boost. All other Hispanics, while minorities, are not under represented in law school compared to PR and MA. And yes they WILL care if you are MA/PR or "just Hispanic".

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 am

masterthearts wrote:
grrrstick wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
Sinra wrote:

Well, that's why they won't care if you are mexican, puerto rican, or other hispanic..plain and simple.
Some schools, like U michigan WILL want to see diversity, a tie to one's heritage, etc. I understand that when they read the apps, the part that states the race and ethnicity is blanked out..so they can't tell if you are white, green or purple. But if you can speak to your heritage and what makes you diverse....then you're in
that's my take on it.
Well your "take on it" is unfortunately not the reality in the situation. Only Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, African Americans, and Native Americans receive a URM boost. Nobody else does. You can take a look at law school numbers yourself if you want confirmation.

And I don't know where this nonsense about the race and ethnicity being blanked out comes from. It's absolutely not true.

*edit*

Regarding your previous post about "checking a box", yes that's all it takes. Both Mexicans, the Spanish speaking and the non-Spanish speaking, will receive a boost. You see, ethnicity is something someone self-identifies with. It becomes a slippery slope if law schools deny a boost to someone that they say isn't Mexican enough (for example, one that doesn't speak spanish), while giving a boost that they've deemed is just the right amount of Mexican. That kind of behavior can land them in hot water quite quickly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:52 am

Zarathustraspoke wrote:What are my chances here??

Columbia
NYU
UChicago
UPenn
UVA
Cornell
Georgetown
USC
UCLA
Notre Dame
Fordham
George Washington
Because you're Dominican you won't receive a URM boost. So, I say in at Fordham, WL at Notre Dame, WL at George Washington, and out at the rest of the schools. I would add more schools to the list.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:26 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
Zarathustraspoke wrote:What are my chances here??

Columbia
NYU
UChicago
UPenn
UVA
Cornell
Georgetown
USC
UCLA
Notre Dame
Fordham
George Washington
Because you're Dominican you won't receive a URM boost. So, I say in at Fordham, WL at Notre Dame, WL at George Washington, and out at the rest of the schools. I would add more schools to the list.
Not only would I add more schools to the list, but I probably wouldn't even bother applying to the T14. Even UCLA is a waste of an application fee. USC is a complete shot in the dark. Apply to more schools between 20-35 because a 3.5/165 just isn't getting T14 without a URM boost and dominican is not URM. Or retake and get a 170.

Zarathustraspoke

Bronze

Post by Zarathustraspoke » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:23 am

What about Cornell? The numbers for the bottom percentile of the students accepted to Cornell are right where my numbers are... Same goes for UCLA

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:What about Cornell? The numbers for the bottom percentile of the students accepted to Cornell are right where my numbers are... Same goes for UCLA
Definitely out at both. UCLA loves GPAs, and your lsat and gpa are both too low for Cornell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Zarathustraspoke wrote:What about Cornell? The numbers for the bottom percentile of the students accepted to Cornell are right where my numbers are... Same goes for UCLA

Again, apply where you WANT. Write a good PS, DS etc. Put together a good application. All this talk of LSN and the way it's used to verify all these assumptions and speculation is nonsense. Do a search for "Hispanic" only in there. You'll get about 4-5 people in your score range for last year. That's it. We assume that these people know the difference between other Hispanic and Mexican and PR based on the fact that it's what they wrote instead of Mexican-American, PR. The fact is, a lot of what is said here is both speculative and regurgitation of what has been said over and over again. They hear it so much they begin to pass it on as truth. There is someone on LSN from last year that is Cuban and arguably got a nice bump.

All I'm saying is this: Do not base where you apply/don't apply on the answers you get here. I've come across about 6 applications so far that ask "are you Hispanic or Latino" and do not ask "Are you Mexican, PR, other Latino." Some do, some do not.

Apply to Cornell. People that have not even applied themselves in this thread are telling you that you will receive no bump. How do they know? They don't. It's mostly speculation. Check this out for inspiration.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/espanola123

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/monkeykitten

Write well. I think it's underestimated here. But again, I'm also just speculating. Cast a wide net. That is my advice to you. Don't listen to the constant naysayers. Go in expecting what's normal/rejections and you may find yourself with a few surprises.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:32 pm

Sinra wrote:

Again, apply where you WANT. Write a good PS, DS etc. Put together a good application. All this talk of LSN and the way it's used to verify all these assumptions and speculation is nonsense. Do a search for "Hispanic" only in there. You'll get about 4-5 people in your score range for last year. That's it. We assume that these people know the difference between other Hispanic and Mexican and PR based on the fact that it's what they wrote instead of Mexican-American, PR. The fact is, a lot of what is said here is both speculative and regurgitation of what has been said over and over again. They hear it so much they begin to pass it on as truth. There is someone on LSN from last year that is Cuban and arguably got a nice bump.

All I'm saying is this: Do not base where you apply/don't apply on the answers you get here. I've come across about 6 applications so far that ask "are you Hispanic or Latino" and do not ask "Are you Mexican, PR, other Latino." Some do, some do not.

Apply to Cornell. People that have not even applied themselves in this thread are telling you that you will receive no bump. How do they know? They don't. It's mostly speculation. Check this out for inspiration.

Write well. I think it's underestimated here. But again, I'm also just speculating. Cast a wide net. That is my advice to you. Don't listen to the constant naysayers. Go in expecting what's normal/rejections and you may find yourself with a few surprises.
All we're saying is the school list does not match the numbers. Domincan is not URM. Plain and simple. 3.5/165 is good, but it's not really T14 good. More apps in the 20-30 range should be advised. I personally wouldn't waste my money on those app fees, but I don't want discourage anyone from reaching or casting a wide net. However, when they inevitably get rejected from the T14, it would be nice if they had more options to choose from.

Sinra

Bronze

Post by Sinra » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:41 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
Sinra wrote:

All we're saying is the school list does not match the numbers. Domincan is not URM. Plain and simple. 3.5/165 is good, but it's not really T14 good. More apps in the 20-30 range should be advised. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reaching or casting a wide net, but when they inevitably get rejected from the T14, it would be nice if they had more options to choose from.
Absolutely he/she should widen the list certainly. But he/she can still try the T14. And again Dominican does not get URM bump according to TLS speculation based on LSN and anecdotal evidence. vanwinkle's explanations and TLS's write-up on it have gone the furthest in getting any clear sort of answer and it's still a lot of it depends on the school/you could get a small bump or none, etc. My only point is that OP should not rely on a large amount of speculative evidence from people that are just repeating what they've read on TLS to make his choices.

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:48 am

Yeah that's nice and all, except he's STILL NOT A URM. May he get a bump? Sure. Is that bump large enough to get him into T14? Probably not. No one is telling him not to apply to T14, they are simply saying that it's more likely than not that he will not be able to get in. He can spend money on application fees the way he wants, it won't somehow magically increase his chances because he has determination.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”