Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby magicman554 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:37 pm

What are my odds at the top 25? Want to stay in the Midwest, but I'll go anywhere, and also concentrate on corporate law.

Got good softs and a stellar PS and LoRs.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 pm

Take 1-2 years off to work, retake for a 170+, and ED to Northwestern.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby magicman554 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:45 pm

im_blue wrote:Take 1-2 years off to work, retake for a 170+, and ED to Northwestern.



Assuming I don't want to go to NW, where else? What looks possible in the 15-25 range?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:46 pm

That GPA is a killer, but I would aim for splitter-friendly schools like WUSTL, UIUC, Minnesota, and Emory.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby Deuce » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Only one way to find out, and it's hard to tell as a splitter. Apply far and wide to the one's you like, see what lands, if you don't like it re-take and get WE before trying again.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby magicman554 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Deuce wrote:Only one way to find out, and it's hard to tell as a splitter. Apply far and wide to the one's you like, see what lands, if you don't like it re-take and get WE before trying again.



I have 5+ years experience as an entrepreneur. Five clients and three professors wrote me LoRs.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby Deuce » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm

magicman554 wrote:
Deuce wrote:Only one way to find out, and it's hard to tell as a splitter. Apply far and wide to the one's you like, see what lands, if you don't like it re-take and get WE before trying again.



I have 5+ years experience as an entrepreneur. Five clients and three professors wrote me LoRs.


Only 2 recs are needed brah. There is no way of knowing one way or another what schools will take you with that GPA. You need to apply very broad and see what sticks.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:51 pm

8 LOR's is a lot. You do know that you can only use up to 3, right?

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 pm

A written LoR is not necessarily a utilized LoR.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby magicman554 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:55 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:A written LoR is not necessarily a utilized LoR.


I didn't say I was going to use all of them. They all wrote good ones.

Tell it to my ass...

Oh, also, does it hurt that I'm in my late 30's?

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby Chupavida » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:02 pm

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby The Gentleman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:04 pm

You are the definition of a super-splitter OP. Definitely apply to WUSTL and Illinois.

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby TT09 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:27 pm

The Gentleman wrote:You are the definition of a super-splitter OP. Definitely apply to WUSTL and Illinois.


Agreed. These 2 seem like your best bet.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:38 pm

magicman554 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:A written LoR is not necessarily a utilized LoR.


I didn't say I was going to use all of them. They all wrote good ones.

Tell it to my ass...

Oh, also, does it hurt that I'm in my late 30's?


I was defending you Magicman.

If anything, being in your late 30s will be a boon! You will bring viewpoints and knowledge to a class that might very well be lacking.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:A written LoR is not necessarily a utilized LoR.


I didn't say I was going to use all of them. They all wrote good ones.

Tell it to my ass...

Oh, also, does it hurt that I'm in my late 30's?


I was defending you Magicman.

If anything, being in your late 30s will be a boon! You will bring viewpoints and knowledge to a class that might very well be lacking.


Like, how to insert the word booty into professional conversation?

User avatar
jwrash
Posts: 261
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby jwrash » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:50 pm

Apply to Emory.

Also, I lol'd at "Can I SPLIT that booty?"

Well done.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby magicman554 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:20 pm

Chupavida wrote:I had similar numbers, and accordingly can offer some sage advice.

The harsh reality is that you look toxic. You will have an uphill battle convincing any adcom that you're not going to flame out or fuck up any opportunity they give you. I'm sure your PS and recs are great; it won't matter. I had a good story, great recs, and some really nice softs. None of that came even close to compensating for the GPA. I was summarily denied at 14 schools (granted, I did stretch a bit, lol Chicago/Columbia, since I had a global fee waiver), waitlisted at two, and accepted with $$ at UIUC. What made the difference at UIUC? I visited. I look a hell of a lot more responsible in person than I do on paper, and my smiles and assurances (and my lovely wife) apparently tipped the scales in my favor.

Your best bets are UIUC, Wash U, and maybe Minnesota (I didn't apply so I don't know).

You should have applied the day applications were available, but if you get good apps in before Thanksgiving you should be fine. Visit schools, convince them they'd be fools to reject you without being overbearing about it.

Northwestern will be a long shot regardless unless you've got genuinely incredible work experience and retake for 173+. 2.3 is just too low. You don't have a shot in hell at the rest of the T-14.

Good luck.



I saw your profile @ LSN, and I was asking about the T20-35. You basically applied to almost the entire T14, which was, sorry to say, pretty unwise.

The idea I'm getting (and thanks everyone!!) is that I should just throw out the biggest net possible and see what sticks. Also, avoid anything below NW.

If I get good results, I'm going to post a thread entitled "I SPLIT THAT BOOTY!!"

P.S. "Booty" also refers to any treasure or prize (e.g., a great acceptance with $$$). SOME people need to get their minds out of the gutter...
Last edited by magicman554 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby MrKappus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 pm

magicman554 wrote:Oh, also, does it hurt that I'm in my late 30's?


You've passed your cognitive peak. Then again, you were supposed to be hitting it around the time you got a 2.38 in undergrad, so maybe you're special.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby magicman554 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:23 pm

MrKappus wrote:
magicman554 wrote:Oh, also, does it hurt that I'm in my late 30's?


You've passed your cognitive peak. Then again, you were supposed to be hitting it around the time you got a 2.38 in undergrad, so maybe you're special.



Will my libido make up for it?

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:24 pm

magicman554 wrote:
Chupavida wrote:I had similar numbers, and accordingly can offer some sage advice.

The harsh reality is that you look toxic. You will have an uphill battle convincing any adcom that you're not going to flame out or fuck up any opportunity they give you. I'm sure your PS and recs are great; it won't matter. I had a good story, great recs, and some really nice softs. None of that came even close to compensating for the GPA. I was summarily denied at 14 schools (granted, I did stretch a bit, lol Chicago/Columbia, since I had a global fee waiver), waitlisted at two, and accepted with $$ at UIUC. What made the difference at UIUC? I visited. I look a hell of a lot more responsible in person than I do on paper, and my smiles and assurances (and my lovely wife) apparently tipped the scales in my favor.

Your best bets are UIUC, Wash U, and maybe Minnesota (I didn't apply so I don't know).

You should have applied the day applications were available, but if you get good apps in before Thanksgiving you should be fine. Visit schools, convince them they'd be fools to reject you without being overbearing about it.

Northwestern will be a long shot regardless unless you've got genuinely incredible work experience and retake for 173+. 2.3 is just too low. You don't have a shot in hell at the rest of the T-14.

Good luck.



I saw your profile @ LSN, and I was asking about the T20-35. You basically applied to almost the entire T14, which was, sorry to say, pretty unwise.

The idea I'm getting (and thanks everyone!!) is that I should just throw out the biggest net possible and see what sticks. Also, avoid anything below NW.

If I get good results, I'm going to post a thread entitled "I SPLIT THAT BOOTY!!"

P.S. "Booty" also refers to any treasure or prize (e.g., a great acceptance with $$$). SOME people need to get their minds out of the gutter...


Yea i hope he didn't pay for all those app fees, that is a lot of wasted money.

I agree with other posters, WUSTL and UIUC would be your best bets

User avatar
Mike12188
Posts: 792
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:25 pm

magicman554 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
magicman554 wrote:Oh, also, does it hurt that I'm in my late 30's?


You've passed your cognitive peak. Then again, you were supposed to be hitting it around the time you got a 2.38 in undergrad, so maybe you're special.



Will my libido make up for it?


Know whats funny, with that 2.38 you could very well end up at the same school as the "wise MrKappus". Seriously.

User avatar
2Serious4Numbers
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:26 pm

northwood wrote:8 LOR's is a lot. You do know that you can only use up to 3, right?



the most i saw was UF with 4 spots, 3 recommended tho (i think)

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby MrKappus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:26 pm

Mike12188 wrote:
magicman554 wrote:
MrKappus wrote:
magicman554 wrote:Oh, also, does it hurt that I'm in my late 30's?


You've passed your cognitive peak. Then again, you were supposed to be hitting it around the time you got a 2.38 in undergrad, so maybe you're special.



Will my libido make up for it?


Know whats funny, with that 2.38 you could very well end up at the same school as the "wise MrKappus". Seriously.


Big talk for a low 3.0's splitter.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby magicman554 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:29 pm

Know whats funny, with that 2.38 you could very well end up at the same school as the "wise MrKappus". Seriously.[/quote]

Big talk for a low 3.0's splitter.[/quote]


Just for the record, where do you go to school?

I hope this isn't some weird inside joke.

User avatar
magicman554
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Can I SPLIT that booty? 2.38/169

Postby magicman554 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Mike12188 wrote:Know whats funny, with that 2.38 you could very well end up at the same school as the "wise MrKappus". Seriously.


MrKappus wrote:Big talk for a low 3.0's splitter.



Just for the record MrKappus, where do you go to school?

I hope this isn't some weird inside joke.
Last edited by magicman554 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lawschool305, scoot456 and 2 guests