3/151 Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
mediation_86

New

3/151

Post by mediation_86 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:10 am

retaking dec., avg. around 157, but scared that I might just fall within my current score band

I know this is TTT, TTTT material. What schools would be targets in case my dec. score does not reach above 157.

(I want to start fall 2011, I am thinking about retaking june also or even next oct., but one year delay is too long for me, so I have to work with what I have)

I know these are sad numbers for most if not all, but bear with me

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Re: 3/151

Post by StrictlyLiable » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:19 am

For Ohio schools, I would say University of Akron, Cleveland State, and Capital. Part-time

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:26 am

what about other states?

do you think syracuse or chapman would be a stretch? looking at LSN surprisingly alot of people with my numbers got accepted with no URM or extra softs. Maybe they had an exceptional PS or DS?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:33 am

Important, totally non-offensive question: Why do you want to go to law school? What is the end you are trying to achieve?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:43 am

mediation_86 wrote:what about other states?

do you think syracuse or chapman would be a stretch? looking at LSN surprisingly alot of people with my numbers got accepted with no URM or extra softs. Maybe they had an exceptional PS or DS?

No way you are getting into Chapman. No sure about Syracuse, but I doubt it. It would be unfair to all the qualified applicants to let you in. I almost never say this, but you are just not a viable candidate, even at a T3 school. You need to retake the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:46 am

Danteshek wrote:

No way you are getting into Chapman. No sure about Syracuse, but I doubt it. It would be unfair to all the qualified applicants to let you in. I almost never say this, but you are just not a viable candidate, even at a T3 school. You need to retake the LSAT.

LOL...where is the tact.

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:48 am

Danteshek wrote:

yes that is why I am taking the dec. lsat, hopefully getting above my pt average of 157. But if worst comes worst, should I either apply to TTT or 4T schools or wait until next june or oct to take it again but miss a cycle that I really want to apply to?

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:50 am

mediation_86 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

yes that is why I am taking the dec. lsat, hopefully getting above my pt average of 157. But if worst comes worst, should I either apply to TTT or 4T schools or wait until next june or oct to take it again but miss a cycle that I really want to apply to?
Worst comes to worst you should save yourself 200k+ debt with no feasible way of paying it back and not go to law school.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:56 am

mediation_86 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

If you must apply to TTT schools, only apply to schools in that area of the country where you have relatives and a network of personal and professional contacts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 am

Danteshek wrote:No way you are getting into Chapman. No sure about Syracuse, but I doubt it. It would be unfair to all the qualified applicants to let you in. I almost never say this, but you are just not a viable candidate, even at a T3 school. You need to retake the LSAT.
I may have to save this quote for later use.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 am

only apply to schools in the region you want to work in. How did you study for this test? Did you exhaust all old prep tests, or just a few? Did you create and follow a set schedule Did yuou honestly put in your best effort? If you answered no, then re study and re take, and wait until next fall to apply. If you did all of the above, then and only then apply to where you want to practice, and be prepared to be waitlisted, and pay full sticker

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:05 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
mediation_86 wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

Worst comes to worst you should save yourself 200k+ debt with no feasible way of paying it back and not go to law school.
Yes, thank you for being blunt. But knowing that I can get above a 157 more times than not, and have scored in the high 160s a few times on recent pts, I believe I may have a shot at a higher tier law school. Furthermore, my 3 lsdas gpa is of extremely high uptrend, my double major gpa is above 3.92 and would include in an addendum the factors explaining such a low cumulative gpa.

Even then, it doesn't matter if someone would end up in a 3T or 4T school, transferring is an option even though I know it there is a slim chance. Though it would be tougher, the fact that graduating from a low law school does not mean one would not do well economically.

One of the lawyers at a law firm I worked for said that social skills gets you further than anything in terms of hiring aspects, more so than a degree from a relatively higher law school.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:05 am

You really, really need to add on another 10-15 points before law school can become a worthwhile investment. If your current PT average is 157, then shoot for a June retake. The schools you're looking at (and at sticker, no less) provide a quick and easy road to unemployment and financial ruin. I know I'm being rather blunt, but you need to get a significantly higher score before you should even worry about putting together an apps list.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:10 am

i dont understand the concept of upward trend. It seems to me like a cop out for slacking off freshman year, or being immature. Its rather normal to have a higher gpa towards the end of your ug years, as you mature. If you slacked off, dont try to explain it, just take your final gpa and work with it as best as possible.

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:18 am

northwood wrote:i dont understand the concept of upward trend. It seems to me like a cop out for slacking off freshman year, or being immature. Its rather normal to have a higher gpa towards the end of your ug years, as you mature. If you slacked off, dont try to explain it, just take your final gpa and work with it as best as possible.
even if someone went through a serious gambling problem, and had to attend GA because of it, wouldnt that warrant a good explanation? I know it is the fault of the person to get mixed up with gambling, but it is not like its illegal, and if something emotionally affected them it technically wasn't intentional, unlike other controllable circumstances like slacking off or being lazy, or partying too much.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:21 am

that would be a gpa addendum. If it was a big gap, then definately write it

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:24 am

northwood wrote:that would be a gpa addendum. If it was a big gap, then definately write it
alright. thanks for your help. would you mind also looking into my background info and see how I should deal with any issues? I am not sure if I qualify to write a diversity statement

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=136415

*note that my record is expunged

thanks again for any input northwood, or anyone else commenting

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:24 am

A compelling addendum can sometimes help offset a poor GPA, but this tends to shift even more emphasis towards the LSAT score. So... retake.

And don't attend a TTT with plans of transferring up.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:29 am

if your record is expunged, you still have to disclose it.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:29 am

mediation_86 wrote:
northwood wrote:that would be a gpa addendum. If it was a big gap, then definately write it
alright. thanks for your help. would you mind also looking into my background info and see how I should deal with any issues? I am not sure if I qualify to write a diversity statement

You gonna answer my question from earlier chief?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:43 am

3/151? Go with Christ brah

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:44 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
mediation_86 wrote:

You gonna answer my question from earlier chief?
oh yeah sorry about that, must of missed it

i want to get a jd/mba joint degree. You may ask why, I am currently a finance and political science double degree; my passion is finance and I think a j.d. would be an important credential to have regardless of any career. Also, if I do enjoy law as much as I hope to, I might pursue corporate or criminal law, and pursue to become a lawyer. I researched some firms who hire jd/mba graduates exclusively, so I might look into that. Either way, ultimately I want to be involved in business and finance, so being a lawyer with an mba is always good or being an investment banker with a jd is also great. It is all about flexibility for me, and having a jd/mba fits my career interests

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:49 am

sounds like you like finance, not law

if you arent dead set on being a lawyer, dont go to law school

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:54 am

northwood wrote: if you arent dead set on being a lawyer, dont go to law school

mediation_86

New

Post by mediation_86 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:00 am

northwood wrote:sounds like you like finance, not law

if you arent dead set on being a lawyer, dont go to law school
its funny though, i usually get -0 or -1 on LG but RC definitely kills me with minus double digits. I am more of a math guy. Ive debated with other people on how I should just go for a masters in finance but for some reason, I feel like having a jd would be really useful, even if its worth 100k+. In my mind, credentials are more valuable than money, so maybe that is why I am trying to obtain a jd also. Who knows, I might like law so much that ill pursue being a lawyer instead of focusing everything on finance.

But does anyone know, if 1L grades go along with logic games? I would think LG would go along in real life scenarios because quick analytical thinking is necessary in situations where one may need to think fast and efficiently, while I think timed RC is useless because research or case studies do not necessarily have a time limit, whereas sharp analytical reasoning is more useful because it generates quick analytical rebuttals in countering arguments

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”