AA, queer female 3.2, homeless in Hawaii

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
DieAntwoord

Re: AA, queer female 3.2, homeless in Hawaii

Postby DieAntwoord » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:57 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Your experiences could make for an excellent PS, DS, and "soft." That tied in with your LGBTQ status, would make you a particularly unique applicant.

I would focus entirely on prep right now. this is what could make or break you. the other things (GPA, homelessness, etc) are already set-in-stone--correct? aim for higher than 160.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:07 pm

vanwinkle wrote:OP, aim as high as you can; you're not going to be predictable at all because you're both AA and with truly exceptional softs. Do whatever it takes to get into the 160s or even 170. The higher you get the better your cycle will go, but 160s and up is your goal to aim for. Study hard, work hard, and show them you deserve a spot with your LSAT score!

If you have to wait until next cycle, do so, especially if that gives you more time to study and prep for the LSAT. Study and prep is your best friend right now. The higher your score the better you'll do, so focus on getting your score up as much as possible.

I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I will be working as hard as I can knowing that my goals are within reach. I am more than willing to retake the LSAT-- and cannot wait to hear what the forums have to say about my chances once the scores are in. I am also applying to work with impoverished elementary children for 6 months in a rural community. Acceptance into such a program, a scholarship by the Korean government, is a substantial add to a continued letter of interest. I'm assuming anyway.

Focusing on the application though, as much as I want to devote all my time to the LSAT, I feel pressured to start on my statements immediately. That way my file will be complete as soon as the scores are in. Is this a good idea?

Again, thanks for the support! Reading this set my afternoon off to a great start!

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:OP you have a PM.

I want one of these PMs, why are you so mysterious.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:12 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:

Thanks for your advice in the earlier post!

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:14 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:

Speaking of PMs, did you get mine? Have yet to hear a response. :P

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:16 pm

MrKappus wrote:
reaisan wrote:The stars indicate my top choices. Any of those possible?

Based on LSN 2009-10:

Cornell - Out
BU - Out
BC - Slim chance

All the URM admits w/ 160's had 3.5+ GPA's. Even w/ a sparkling soft like homelessness (take that Rhodes scholars!), you need a higher LSAT. You have a good story and plenty to write about in your statements; but just approach the LSAT like it's your life, and consider taking another year off if you're not already PTing in the 160 range, like, now. Good luck.
Thanks on the heads up!

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:17 pm

reaisan wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:OP, aim as high as you can; you're not going to be predictable at all because you're both AA and with truly exceptional softs. Do whatever it takes to get into the 160s or even 170. The higher you get the better your cycle will go, but 160s and up is your goal to aim for. Study hard, work hard, and show them you deserve a spot with your LSAT score!

If you have to wait until next cycle, do so, especially if that gives you more time to study and prep for the LSAT. Study and prep is your best friend right now. The higher your score the better you'll do, so focus on getting your score up as much as possible.

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! I will be working as hard as I can knowing that my goals are within reach. I am more than willing to retake the LSAT-- and cannot wait to hear what the forums have to say about my chances once the scores are in. I am also applying to work with impoverished elementary children for 6 months in a rural community. Acceptance into such a program, a scholarship by the Korean government, is a substantial add to a continued letter of interest. I'm assuming anyway.

Focusing on the application though, as much as I want to devote all my time to the LSAT, I feel pressured to start on my statements immediately. That way my file will be complete as soon as the scores are in. Is this a good idea?

Again, thanks for the support! Reading this set my afternoon off to a great start!

Fellow islander checking in. Just throwing some support and encouragement your way, my Jamaican neighbor. And hey, if it doesn't work out in the States there is always law school in the Caribbean with great prospects too. :wink: Norman Manley is a great law school!

DieAntwoord

Postby DieAntwoord » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:19 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:

I was typing you a message and it was about 4 pages. Intense detailed stuff :) Then when I hit send, not realizing that my internet disconnected, I lost everything. I then fell asleep.
I will do. :mrgreen:

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:20 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:

I was typing you a message and it was about 4 pages. Intense detailed stuff :) Then when I hit send, not realizing that my internet disconnected, I lost everything. I then fell asleep.
I will do. :mrgreen:

You're the best. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LAWLAW09

Postby LAWLAW09 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:30 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:

You're not missing out on anything.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:43 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:Fellow islander checking in. Just throwing some support and encouragement your way, my Jamaican neighbor. And hey, if it doesn't work out in the States there is always law school in the Caribbean with great prospects too. :wink: Norman Manley is a great law school!
Really? I suppose it would be NM then get an LLM in the states? Maybe.
Thanks for the support all the same! It means a lot.

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:01 pm

reaisan wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:Fellow islander checking in. Just throwing some support and encouragement your way, my Jamaican neighbor. And hey, if it doesn't work out in the States there is always law school in the Caribbean with great prospects too. :wink: Norman Manley is a great law school!
Really? I suppose it would be NM then get an LLM in the states? Maybe.
Thanks for the support all the same! It means a lot.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Norman Manley is one of the three law schools in the Caribbean that Caribbean law students enroll to be eligible to practice throughout the Caribbean commonwealth. You will first need your LLB though (equivalent to US JD but at bachelor's level) and then you attend one of the three schools (Norman Manley in Jamaica, Hugh Wooding in Trinidad or Eugene Dupach in Bahamas). The overall price will be cheaper than attending law school in the States, however, the salary potential isn't as large upon graduation unless employed by one of the British offshore firms located throughout Bermuda, Turks & Caicos, British Virgin Islands and Caymans. Hey, who won't love to work as an attorney with access to white sand and blue waters on your weekends? :mrgreen:

Anyway, feel free to PM me for more info if you're also interested in exploring your options back home.

EbonyEsq

Postby EbonyEsq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm confused by this as well, doesn't AA stand for African American? And aren't you certainly not African American? If the application said black then of course, that's you, but saying you are African American seems disingenious.

*blank stare*

Like OP, I identify as AA even though I was not born in the USA. That doesn't make me any less "African" or "black" than an AA since we share a similar history and experiences (racism/racial profiling) on the basis of our skin color.

Please understand that African Americans make up only a portion of those that are part of the African Diaspora. Just because we do not have "Afro-Caribbean" as an option for identification purposes does not make our experiences any less different from that of a black applicant born and raised in the United States.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm confused by this as well, doesn't AA stand for African American? And aren't you certainly not African American? If the application said black then of course, that's you, but saying you are African American seems disingenious.

Based on what I've read, you will not get a URM boost if you are not a US citizen. So, to be eligible for a boost you'd have to currently be an American; thus someone of African descent who is eligible for the boost should be an "African American" anyway, even if they weren't born here. That would include people who made it there through Jamaica or other countries.

Also, as noted, they're starting to list it as "Black/African-American" or something more inclusive on applications.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

Based on what I've read, you will not get a URM boost if you are not a US citizen. So, to be eligible for a boost you'd have to currently be an American; thus someone of African descent who is eligible for the boost should be an "African American" anyway, even if they weren't born here. That would include people who made it there through Jamaica or other countries.

Also, as noted, they're starting to list it as "Black/African-American" or something more inclusive on applications.

Thanks, Vanwinkle. I think you've cleared it up for a lot of readers.

As an additional example, I am born and raised here. My parents are from England, and my grandparents are from Jamaica. AA isnt the proper fit for me, but to most institutions, AA on their forms means all Black Americans in general.... because there's usually no other box to fill.

Admissions are getting more accommodating toward different backgrounds-- understanding that not every Black American is AA-- but we're all URMs.
---------

Anyway, I have been thinking. Initially, I limited myself to regional schools because I thought it was the best I could do, afraid of rejection. After researching schools that are best for my interests (rather than schools I "fit in to") Cornell became my top school.

Cornell though really appeals to my passion in international law research. I have two published articles and will probably write more if I have to wait next cycle. That and PI law are my long-term goals. A resume and letters tailored specifically to this school will only be part of the package.

What sort of LSAT score should I aim to get in December for this school? I think this is a stretch for me, but what if I got a 164?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:21 am

How is being homeless a truly exceptional soft? Someone forgot to tell the schools then ... :x

Not to make it sound less serious, but I wish I was in Hawaii if I had a choice.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:22 am

Is homeless in Hawaii the sequel to sleepless in Seattle?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:23 am

r6_philly wrote:How is being homeless a truly exceptional soft? Someone forgot to tell the schools... :x

Being homeless isn't, but climbing out of homelessness is a great "overcoming adversity" soft. Adversity softs are great because they show you have a kind of drive to get through anything, like say, law school and the bar.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:26 am

vanwinkle wrote:

So does Black - Caribbean ancestry get the AA boost if you are a US citizen? I notice some apps break down the black category.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 am

r6_philly wrote:So does Black - Caribbean ancestry get the AA boost if you are a US citizen? I notice some apps break down the black category.

I don't know the exact answer to this.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 am

vanwinkle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:How is being homeless a truly exceptional soft? Someone forgot to tell the schools... :x

Being homeless isn't, but climbing out of homelessness is a great "overcoming adversity" soft. Adversity softs are great because they show you have a kind of drive to get through anything, like say, law school and the bar.

Really, it didn't seem to help me much last cycle.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Really, it didn't seem to help me much last cycle.

Check your PMs.

reaisan

Postby reaisan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:03 am

r6_philly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:someone of African descent who is eligible for the boost should be an "African American" anyway, even if they weren't born here. That would include people who made it there through Jamaica or other countries.

So does Black - Caribbean ancestry get the AA boost if you are a US citizen? I notice some apps break down the black category.
Most schools still just have "Black or African American" categories. Cornell for example. There's no LS-wide classification of someone like me. There's no one answer. I have to see how it goes school by school.

Either way, there are not a lot of people of Caribbean-blacks period let alone in top law schools. I am a very underrepresented minority.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:14 am

reaisan wrote:
Either way, there are not a lot of people of Caribbean-blacks period let alone in top law schools. I am a very underrepresented minority.

Not to nitpick, but if there are not a lot at all, then you are not underrepresented. You are simply rare :wink:

Regardless, I still think that fact will trump your softs for reasons I don't agree. But my kids will have a much easier time than I should they entertain law school in the future lol

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:31 am

r6_philly wrote:
reaisan wrote:

Not to nitpick, but if there are not a lot at all, then you are not underrepresented. You are simply rare :wink:

Regardless, I still think that fact will trump your softs for reasons I don't agree. But my kids will have a much easier time than I should they entertain law school in the future lol

If they do, you have failed as a parent.

Return to “What are my chances?”