AA, queer female 3.2, homeless in Hawaii Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
reaisan

Bronze

AA, queer female 3.2, homeless in Hawaii

Post by reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:47 pm

Wondering what sort of LSAT score I would need to the following schools. Keep in mind I am a Jamaican-American, LGBTQ (and have done research and activism), and was once homeless in Hawaii (which I hope is one of those unique softs that really stand-out). I will be taking the LSAT in Dec, so early decision is out for me.

Cornell* (heard they like minorities, but I heard only when applying early)
BU*
Boston College* (has a 29% minority enrollment, will this help or hurt?)
George Washington Law
UGeorgia (a resident, so school will be cheap, but job prospects regional)
UFlorida (alumni, so I'd still get in-state rates)
UWisconsin
Emory
USC
American
UC Davis (is it worth going to this school, seems to have a lot of competition)
U Illinois

If it helps matters, I am predicting 160 at the highest and am planning to wait until next cycle if need be.
Last edited by reaisan on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ersatz Haderach

Bronze

Re: AA, queer female 3.2, homeless in Hawaii

Post by Ersatz Haderach » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Being homeless is a soft? I thought it was a disaster. I hope you were not abused or harmed while you were homeless.

Best not to do these threads until you have an LSAT score.

reaisan

Bronze

Post by reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Well, homeless on Oahu wasn't too bad. It would have been great if my job offer didn't turn out to be a scam upon arrival though. :T I think its an adversity I've overcome and had since done LGBTQ research in Korea. Living with struggling immigrants and impoverished natives made for an interesting summer that really changed the perspective of this southern bell. I think I could work it into a solid PS. What are your thoughts?

Also, I guess you're right. I shouldn't ask just yet, but waiting until December already has me jittery, and I wanted to get some perspective. I anticipate getting between a 158 to 160 (assuming I don't do as well as I have been on my practice tests).

A better question, I suppose, is: which schools focus so heavily on GPA that I wouldn't get in no matter my score? I do not anticipate a 170.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Your experiences could make for an excellent PS, DS, and "soft." That tied in with your LGBTQ status, would make you a particularly unique applicant.

I would focus entirely on prep right now. this is what could make or break you. the other things (GPA, homelessness, etc) are already set-in-stone--correct? aim for higher than 160.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:21 pm

Ersatz Haderach wrote:Being homeless is a soft?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reaisan

Bronze

Post by reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:25 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Ersatz Haderach wrote:Being homeless is a soft?
Ha! Well, Waikiki sand is pretty plush... Plus I had a fluffy afro to sleep on. Unfortunately, both left me extremely cold. The idea of warm Hawaii nights is a lie, FYI.

reaisan

Bronze

Post by reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:28 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Your experiences could make for an excellent PS, DS, and "soft." That tied in with your LGBTQ status, would make you a particularly unique applicant.

I would focus entirely on prep right now. this is what could make or break you. the other things (GPA, homelessness, etc) are already set-in-stone--correct? aim for higher than 160.
Thanks, I'm hoping being unique will make me stand out even this late in the cycle. I will really, reaaally try for higher, but if worst came to worst and I wound up with a 160, could I get into any of these schools? I would retake in February for financial aid purposes I suppose.
Last edited by reaisan on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:34 pm

reaisan wrote:
ShuckingNotJiving wrote:Your experiences could make for an excellent PS, DS, and "soft." That tied in with your LGBTQ status, would make you a particularly unique applicant.

Thanks, I hoping being unique will make me stand out even this late in the cycle. I will really, reaaally try for higher, but if worst came to worst and I wound up with a 160, could I get into any of these schools? I would retake in February for financial aid purposes I suppose.

you know, i believe you'll try harder because of all the a's in your really.

yes, you could into some of those schools with a 160.

reaisan

Bronze

Post by reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 pm

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:you know, i believe you'll try harder because of all the a's in your really.

yes, you could into some of those schools with a 160.
Ha! Funny. Also, thanks. The stars indicate my top choices. Any of those possible?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gambelda

Bronze

Post by gambelda » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 pm

If being homeless is a soft, I'm writing down masturbation as a work experience.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 pm

homeless is a soft if you write about it in your PS and you tell them how you overcame it
i.e. i hope you're not homeless now... i don't think they're going to feel great about your ability to OVERCOME adversity if you didn't.
It's not great to write about NOT OVERCOMING adversity in a PS lol.
But work on it. I'm sure you have a chance at some of those schools with a good LSAT. Shoot 170, get 167-9, and you'll get into one.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 pm

gambelda wrote:If being homeless is a soft, I'm writing down masturbation as a work experience.
lol'd

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 pm

reaisan wrote:The stars indicate my top choices. Any of those possible?
Based on LSN 2009-10:

Cornell - Out
BU - Out
BC - Slim chance

All the URM admits w/ 160's had 3.5+ GPA's. Even w/ a sparkling soft like homelessness (take that Rhodes scholars!), you need a higher LSAT. You have a good story and plenty to write about in your statements; but just approach the LSAT like it's your life, and consider taking another year off if you're not already PTing in the 160 range, like, now. Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reaisan

Bronze

Post by reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:homeless is a soft if you write about it in your PS and you tell them how you overcame it
i.e. i hope you're not homeless now... i don't think they're going to feel great about your ability to OVERCOME adversity if you didn't.
It's not great to write about NOT OVERCOMING adversity in a PS lol.
But work on it. I'm sure you have a chance at some of those schools with a good LSAT. Shoot 170, get 167-9, and you'll get into one.
Lol! No, I am no longer homeless.

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:14 pm

beach_terror wrote:
gambelda wrote:If being homeless is a soft, I'm writing down masturbation as a work experience.
lol'd
ditto. Post the of year nomination.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:21 pm

Come back when you have an actual LSAT.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Please note that LSN is a HORRIBLE predictor for URMs. Wretchedly horrible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

theskippa10

Bronze

Post by theskippa10 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:26 pm

Are Jamaican Americans URM?

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:37 pm

OP you have a PM.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:41 pm

OP, aim as high as you can; you're not going to be predictable at all because you're both AA and with truly exceptional softs. Do whatever it takes to get into the 160s or even 170. The higher you get the better your cycle will go, but 160s and up is your goal to aim for. Study hard, work hard, and show them you deserve a spot with your LSAT score!

If you have to wait until next cycle, do so, especially if that gives you more time to study and prep for the LSAT. Study and prep is your best friend right now. The higher your score the better you'll do, so focus on getting your score up as much as possible.

I wish you the best of luck.

reaisan

Bronze

Post by reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 pm

theskippa10 wrote:Are Jamaican Americans URM?
Yeah, I am black, just an uncommon nationality.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:15 am

I'm confused by this as well, doesn't AA stand for African American? And aren't you certainly not African American? If the application said black then of course, that's you, but saying you are African American seems disingenious.

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:18 am

OP, do as well you can obviously. But I think mid 160's should give you a decent chance at the schools you are looking at.

beach_terror wrote:
lol'd
:lol:

reaisan

Bronze

Post by reaisan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:55 am

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm confused by this as well, doesn't AA stand for African American? And aren't you certainly not African American? If the application said black then of course, that's you, but saying you are African American seems disingenious.
I'll tell you why labels are starting to be written as black/African American. My mother, like several immigrant parents, were furious to see that I only had AA as an option in school (way back in my day). Similarly, some AA parents said that immigrants were riding on the coattails of their hard work. So, "black" and sometimes even "carib" (an incorrect assumption that I'll address later) were added. The lesson learned: they just want to know race. At least this has been the story in my homestate.

The Caribbean is made up of Chinese, Hispanic, Indian, Anglo and African primarily. The rule of thumb for us throughout school is to circle the label that you identify with based on race. And like I hinted at earlier, standardized state tests didn't even have "black" beside it (let alone a Carib category) back in my day. No "other" label either, lol. So, what was a girl to pick?

Throughout my early years, the choice was AA. Racially, I am fully black. Ethnically, I was born and raised in America. My ancestors are from Africa, captured by the English to work fields too. My reality has more recently been the "Black/African-American" label on applications. The problem is AA is both an ethnic and racial term to most people, especially schools and censuses.

I am glad you notice a difference between culture and history between AAs and the rest of Black America, most people... really just don't. As a result, AA has become a synonymous term for all Black Americans. I wish more people saw the discrepancy the labels have.

I really appreciate you for bringing up this topic and hope I explained how I felt about the topic without sounding confrontational! Its good discussion.

Regardless, there aren't a lot of Jamaicans in the world let alone at these top schools. So, I don't think being Jamaican significantly changes my chances as a URM even if I'm not considered a AA-- a classification that is more subjective than most think.

reaisan

Bronze

Post by reaisan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:55 am

Ragged wrote:OP, do as well you can obviously. But I think mid 160's should give you a decent chance at the schools you are looking at.
Thanks. :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”