3.7/170 ED?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
FlamingCow

3.7/170 ED?

Postby FlamingCow » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Should I fire an ED anywhere to maximize my chances? By asking around here the last few days, it seems like I wouldn't get a huge ED bump in the T6 range. NYU looks like a reach, and with ED not giving a huge bump (they say) and them not liking retakers, I'm leaning to no. Columbia seems a likely ED reject. I can't quite gauge Chicago.

Do I risk losing out on MVP admits without an ED? I'm starting to get a bit nervous. I like all three pretty well, so it would be hard to pick an ED. I'd do so if I risked striking out otherwise, though.

More stats: 3.7, 165/170, good recs and PS, Peace Corps

FlamingCow

Re: 3.7/170 ED?

Postby FlamingCow » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Bump.

TL;DR -- should I ED in the MVP range, or will I be ok RD?

tourdeforcex

Postby tourdeforcex » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:30 pm

like the bump.

i tend to be more risk averse. i'd ED one of MVP. maybe do a little research on which of the adcoms like peace corp more?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:34 pm

lolwut? If you are targeting MVP with that GPA and a 170 I think you get at least one RD, probably M-they love RPCVs.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:37 pm

tourdeforcex wrote:maybe do a little research on which of the adcoms like peace corp more?

I've been trying, and I can't find anything more substantial than anecdotes. The conventional wisdom here is that it's one of the softs that may actually catch someone's eye, but even that's debatable.

Lawschoolpredictor puts me at a bit better than a coin toss for VP, and stronger at M. Could I reasonably expect at least 1 acceptance with odds like that? I'm not sure how to read the percentages.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:37 pm

sundance95 wrote:lolwut? If you are targeting MVP with that GPA and a 170 I think you get at least one RD, probably M-they love RPCVs.

I was thinking that too. Maybe I'll hold off on ED and just see what happens. Thanks for the input.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:01 pm

I think you have a good chance of getting at least one of MVP to bite, but it's not a perfect chance either way - Penn is very hard to predict in general, and Virginia loves in state residents. If there's one that you prefer strongly over the other two, I would ED. If you would honestly be 100% okay with any of the three and don't break into hives at the possibility of attending a lower T14 (DNCG, etc), RD.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm not opposed to lower T14 (with some money helping quite a bit), but I'd much prefer MVP. If I had to choose, my first reaction is to say I like Michigan of the bunch. I think I'd stand the best chance RD there too, so I'm leaning away from ED. Any thoughts?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:34 pm

FlamingCow wrote:I'm not opposed to lower T14 (with some money helping quite a bit), but I'd much prefer MVP. If I had to choose, my first reaction is to say I like Michigan of the bunch. I think I'd stand the best chance RD there too, so I'm leaning away from ED. Any thoughts?

I think RD is fine if you're okay with attending lower T14. ED is for borderline candidates or people who are obsessed with a particular school.

With that said, I've heard that Michigan does not shortchange ED applicants when doling out scholarship money, so you wouldn't be screwed yourself out of potential money if you applied ED there. They make their EDers start in the summer, though, which kind of sucks.

brettfavre4

Postby brettfavre4 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:25 pm

I have 3.7, 169 and most people on here told me my chances at T-14 are not good aside from cornell.... Does that one point make that huge of a difference???

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:36 pm

brettfavre4 wrote:I have 3.7, 169 and most people on here told me my chances at T-14 are not good aside from cornell.... Does that one point make that huge of a difference???

Sorry, but yeah.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:41 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
FlamingCow wrote:I'm not opposed to lower T14 (with some money helping quite a bit), but I'd much prefer MVP. If I had to choose, my first reaction is to say I like Michigan of the bunch. I think I'd stand the best chance RD there too, so I'm leaning away from ED. Any thoughts?

I think RD is fine if you're okay with attending lower T14. ED is for borderline candidates or people who are obsessed with a particular school.

With that said, I've heard that Michigan does not shortchange ED applicants when doling out scholarship money, so you wouldn't be screwed yourself out of potential money if you applied ED there. They make their EDers start in the summer, though, which kind of sucks.

Michigan, like all schools, says that it gives money to ED applicants. You'll stand a better shot to get it with RD. Also, M ED means you have to start in the summer session, so you'll have to take that into account.

You are above M's LSAT median (169), just beneath their GPA median (3.73) and have a strong soft in the Peace Corps. I'm not sure why you'd want to ED.

If you happen to be a Michigan or Virginia resident, that will help you at those respective schools as well, although much more at Virginia.

Have you considered Boalt? Their admissions process is hard to predict but I think its worth an app.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:24 am

sundance95 wrote:Have you considered Boalt? Their admissions process is hard to predict but I think its worth an app.

I'm definitely planning on sending them an app, but I'm not sure what to expect given their preference for higher GPAs. I think I'd need to rewrite my PS for them too. They "encourage" people to take advantage of their 4 page PS limit. Any idea if that's worth doing?

So, as it stands right now, I think I'm going to take my chances RD at MVP and just see what shakes out. If I start getting shut out everywhere, I could still send in a last minute ED to UVA, right?
Last edited by FlamingCow on Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:25 am

ED where you wouldn't mind at all paying sticker. So, if I were you, CCN. I believe you will snag at least one of MVP with those numbers RD.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 am

Deuce wrote:ED where you wouldn't mind at all paying sticker. So, if I were you, CCN. I believe you will snag at least one of MVP with those numbers RD.

Any advice as to where I'd stand the best shot?

thechee

Postby thechee » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:43 am

You may have a slim shot at NYU ED, but probably not Chicago, and almost certainly not Columbia. Just going off of LSN for last year, Chicago didn't take anyone ED who didn't have at least one stat at or above median.

I applied with similar stats last year (170/3.6) and got MBPD, but not V (WL). Also, decent money at P and D. I think Penn cares a lot about your essays, since numbers alone aren't really adequate to predict acceptances there.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:54 am

thechee wrote:You may have a slim shot at NYU ED, but probably not Chicago, and almost certainly not Columbia. Just going off of LSN for last year, Chicago didn't take anyone ED who didn't have at least one stat at or above median.

I applied with similar stats last year (170/3.6) and got MBPD, but not V (WL). Also, decent money at P and D. I think Penn cares a lot about your essays, since numbers alone aren't really adequate to predict acceptances there.

Is that slim shot affected a lot by my having retaken the LSAT? I hear NYU doesn't like retakers. How much money did you get from Penn, if you don't mind me asking?

Return to “What are my chances?”