3.96/159

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
KatieKat

3.96/159

Postby KatieKat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:03 am

I'm already registered to retake the LSAT in December, but what would be some good safety/target schools for my numbers as they are now?

Grizz

Re: 3.96/159

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 am

None that are worth going to. Bad debt to jobs ratio. Reevaluate after your retake.

KatieKat

Postby KatieKat » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:56 pm

rad law wrote:None that are worth going to. Bad debt to jobs ratio. Reevaluate after your retake.

Thanks for answering my question. Obviously I am going to reevaluate after I retake, but I'd like to have most if not all of my applications already submitted before I get my Dec score to try to slightly offset the disadvantage of applying so late. I anticipate scoring significantly higher on the retake, but just in case of some unforeseen circumstances on test day, I'd like to also apply to a few schools that I will probably get into regardless of what my retake score is.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:29 pm

KatieKat wrote:
rad law wrote:None that are worth going to. Bad debt to jobs ratio. Reevaluate after your retake.

Thanks for answering my question. Obviously I am going to reevaluate after I retake, but I'd like to have most if not all of my applications already submitted before I get my Dec score to try to slightly offset the disadvantage of applying so late. I anticipate scoring significantly higher on the retake, but just in case of some unforeseen circumstances on test day, I'd like to also apply to a few schools that I will probably get into regardless of what my retake score is.

Where are you aiming to work? TTs vary significantly in job placement, from quarter-decent to completely abysmal.

KatieKat

Postby KatieKat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:27 am

HeavenWood wrote:
KatieKat wrote:

Where are you aiming to work? TTs vary significantly in job placement, from quarter-decent to completely abysmal.

Probably the southeast. If I absolutely had to stick to one state, I would say Florida because that's where my boyfriend wants to live after we graduate and all that. So I guess I should only stick to lower-ranked schools in Florida to increase my chances of being able to get a job in Florida?

I'm thinking University of Florida would be a good 'target' school, and Florida State as my safety (although I really couldn't see myself living in Tallahassee). Is that aiming too high?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:23 am

I hate to say this, but you should really consider where you want to live and work for the rest of your life. On the off chance that things don't work out with your boyfriend, you don't want to be stuck somewhere where you're not happy.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 am

Just focus on your retake for now. You can worry about putting your apps together while you wait for your score. If when your cycle is over and you believe applying late significantly hurt you at some schools you should have gotten in to, sit it out for a year, get a job, have fun.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:31 am

KatieKat wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
KatieKat wrote:

Probably the southeast. If I absolutely had to stick to one state, I would say Florida because that's where my boyfriend wants to live after we graduate and all that. So I guess I should only stick to lower-ranked schools in Florida to increase my chances of being able to get a job in Florida?

I'm thinking University of Florida would be a good 'target' school, and Florida State as my safety (although I really couldn't see myself living in Tallahassee). Is that aiming too high?

The state of Florida seems completely overrun with attorneys due in part to a lack of state tax and a not-so-difficult bar exam. I'm living in Tampa now after having lived several different places...and they're...they're everywhere here...

Also, don't pick a school based on where your boyfriend wants to live. Worst mistake ever. It should be a joint decision.

KatieKat

Postby KatieKat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:33 am

Ginj wrote:The state of Florida seems completely overrun with attorneys due in part to a lack of state tax and a not-so-difficult bar exam. I'm living in Tampa now after having lived several different places...and they're...they're everywhere here...

Also, don't pick a school based on where your boyfriend wants to live. Worst mistake ever. It should be a joint decision.

Wow I haven't heard that about Florida before.. That makes me a little nervous.

I agree with the boyfriend thing, but it basically is a joint decision due to the fact that I really don't care where I live as long as it's not a big city and it's not super cold, so Florida will work just fine for me. Also, most of my friends and family live in Florida, so in the extremely unlikely case that we did break up, that would probably be the best place for me to be.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:51 am

KatieKat wrote:
Ginj wrote:The state of Florida seems completely overrun with attorneys due in part to a lack of state tax and a not-so-difficult bar exam. I'm living in Tampa now after having lived several different places...and they're...they're everywhere here...

Wow I haven't heard that about Florida before.. That makes me a little nervous.

I agree with the boyfriend thing, but it basically is a joint decision due to the fact that I really don't care where I live as long as it's not a big city and it's not super cold, so Florida will work just fine for me. Also, most of my friends and family live in Florida, so in the extremely unlikely case that we did break up, that would probably be the best place for me to be.

You're out at UF and FSU with those numbers and those are the only two schools in the state worth going to.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:00 am

Try Indiana, Iowa, William and Mary, Washington and Lee, etc. You can see my stats for a list of schools that are somewhat reverse splitter friendly. Your stats are better than mine so I expect that you'd be in at some of the handful of schools that waitlisted me.

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:30 pm

rad law wrote:You're out at UF and FSU with those numbers and those are the only two schools in the state worth going to.

def not auto-reject...decent shot at FSU and UF with those numbers actually

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:47 pm

jwrash wrote:
rad law wrote:You're out at UF and FSU with those numbers and those are the only two schools in the state worth going to.

def not auto-reject...decent shot at FSU and UF with those numbers actually

You're partly right actually. UF is a better shot than FSU. FSU wants a 160.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:49 pm

KatieKat wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
KatieKat wrote:

You will get into UF. If thats where you want to work then i would aim there. The problem is that i have heard jobs in florida are slim.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:43 pm

jt1341 wrote:You will get into UF. If thats where you want to work then i would aim there. The problem is that i have heard jobs in florida are slim.

They are slim. Local govts. are barely hiring, biglaw tanked with the mortgages, and T25ish kids from FL who come home get teh jorbs.

Return to “What are my chances?”