157 3.3 African American Female

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
DukeCornell
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:54 am

.

I'm a Black man. So, you are the one who needs to check yourself, my dear.


Black men aren't immune to internalized racism.


^Thank you!

I hate when people try to pull the “Oh, I’m Black” or the “Oh, I’m White” as a way of validating their idiotic comments.

Does your “blackness” take the stink off of your bullshit statement? Or, are you implying that you’re immune from making bullshit statements because you’re black? Either way, when/where do I get this magical power?
:roll:

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby paratactical » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:59 am

DukeCornell wrote:.
I hate when people try to pull the “Oh, I’m Black” or the “Oh, I’m White” as a way of validating their idiotic comments.


+1

Unless, of course, we're talking about pancakes. Then I trust the buttermilk people.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:02 pm

beach_terror wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

If anything, she should go to a place like Howard


There's no guarantee that she'd be at the top of her class at a lower ranked school. The Howard comment is totally fucked up. You need to check yourself.


LSAT scores correlate with how well people do in law school. The facts are the facts.



LOL... this is false, 0Ls ignore this.


I wish it were true! I'm above the 75th for LSAT at the school I'll be attending. It would be great if that made me a lock for the top quartile.

User avatar
MartianManhunter
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby MartianManhunter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:06 pm

Assuming the rest of your application is tight...

hopehope wrote: What are my chances?

1. University of Texas Austin - Out
2. University of Georgia - In
3. Southern Methodist University - In
4. University of Maryland - In
5. Emory - Your GPA makes it iffy. Let's say WL.


Any rhyme or reason to your school list? Trying to stay in the South?

hopehope wrote: Also do you guys know any schools that will give me money?


People seemed to be upset at the suggestion, but you probably should apply to Howard. There's a chance at money and if you're performing at the top of your class you have tremendous opportunity in DC. Look between t20 and t30 schools (like UIUC). I dunno if you missed the ED deadlines by now, but shoot an application to Cornell. There's really no good reason not to retake in December, unless you think your score will actually drop. Who knows what opportunities it could open up?

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6043
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Retake for $money$

User avatar
DukeCornell
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:12 pm

I wasn’t at all pissed at the guy suggesting that OP apply to Howard. I think she should as well. My issue is with how he said it. His statement left a lot of room for misinterpretation.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:17 pm

kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

WTF is this? Don't pre-judge people like this.

kk19131 wrote:I'm a Black man.

Who you are doesn't change how inappropriate your comment was.

Image

hopehope
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:29 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:What goes wrong on test day for you? If it's anxiety, have you tried addressing that specifically? 6 points under your average a pretty big discrepancy. 163 would put you in a much better position.


Its weird, I took about 10 PTs the month leading up to the LSAT, 2 Full Test Prep Courses. Reading Comp is a bitch for me, Logic Games, I do great on usually -2. I think on Test Day, I read faster because I don't want to not finish and I end up not comprehending at all, which makes it even worse. I have been studying for a year. I really thought I would break the 160 barrier this time. So sad.

sophia.olive wrote:note those are males, and I think the boost is a little stronger for males.

I am starting to notice that… :(

sophia.olive wrote:May I ask why you picked those specific schools?

MartianManhunter wrote: Any rhyme or reason to your school list? Trying to stay in the South?


Yeah, wherever I go to school my husband is also moving with me. So we are trying to focus on markets that are good for his field - which is IT. Hence the reason I picked those schools. SMU is really my top choice because we have friends there and one of them promised to help my DH get a job at his company. Plus I really love the city. But we talked about it last night and he said wherever I can get into that is a decent school with scholly we will seriously consider. Also, I have waited almost 2 years trying to get to where I need to be.

reaisan
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:15 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:35 pm

MartianManhunter wrote:Assuming the rest of your application is tight...

1. University of Texas Austin - Out
2. University of Georgia - In
3. Southern Methodist University - In
4. University of Maryland - In
5. Emory - Your GPA makes it iffy. Let's say WL.

... Shoot an application to Cornell... Who knows what opportunities it could open up?
Hey! I am also an AA female with similar scores (though I expect a little higher on the LSAT in Dec and have a 3.2). UGA was one of my top schools and I have always been told I would need a 164 to get in. So, I wanted to know why you think she has a definite shot there or other schools on her list.

A shot a Cornell? This is the upteenth time I've heard that. How realistic is this? I know an AA female with a 3.85 and a 156. Should I be begging her to apply ED to Cornell?

Also, OP, if you had to choose between UGA and Emory for the ATL market, I'd go with UGA. Emory has a more national reach, and would be crazy expensive if your goal is regional.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:43 pm

DukeCornell wrote:I wasn’t at all pissed at the guy suggesting that OP apply to Howard. I think she should as well. My issue is with how he said it. His statement left a lot of room for misinterpretation.



And is was misinterpreted.

She should apply to Howard...especially if she wants access to Biglaw recruiters.

I stand by what I said.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:45 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

If anything, she should go to a place like Howard


There's no guarantee that she'd be at the top of her class at a lower ranked school. The Howard comment is totally fucked up. You need to check yourself.



There's no guarantee... but it's far more likely.

LSAT scores correlate with how well people do in law school. The facts are the facts.

And, the Howard comment is not fucked up... it's the truth.

I'm a Black man. So, you are the one who needs to check yourself, my dear.


My understanding is that LSAT score + GPA account for about 20% of the variation in 1L grades. Also, check any employment thread -- firms are interested in URMs, too.

Black men aren't immune to internalized racism.



Racism? Nonsense.

All I said is that it is more likely that she would be at the bottom of the class at UVA (as the SCORES would suggest) and that she would be better off at a place like Howard.

NOTHING in that statement was, at all, racist.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:47 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

WTF is this? Don't pre-judge people like this.

kk19131 wrote:I'm a Black man.

Who you are doesn't change how inappropriate your comment was.

Image



My comment had NOTHING to do with the color of her skin, but with the FACT that her scores are OUTSIDE the media for UVA.

I don't see how it's so controversial to say that she would more than likely be at the bottom of the class. It's well documented that affirmative action at top law schools often leaves Black students at the bottom of the class.

hopehope
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:47 pm

sophia.olive wrote:retake, sweetie


I know it sucks but keep at. Nothing is wrong with taking a year off and applying next cycle. Teach abroad, write a book, flip burgers, If you increase your score just a few points it is worth it. If you take it in june and study the bibles intensely you should be able to score pretty high. It is worth the wait.

DieAntwoord wrote:+1



I am 25, my DH has been very patient with me cos he really wants to start a family… Another year is going to be brutal for him. I could try to take in December…
But i feel like its pushing it, what if my score doesn't substantially go up and now i have 3 lSATS with not much weight…

User avatar
DieAntwoord
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 pm

I wouldnt not go to a school because only your "second" lsat shows you will be competitive there. But im bias.

Anyways, that kk guy has one good point if you are going to take the year off you are not going to try for 2-3 more points. You need to focus on getting into the 170s then see what happens, dont settle when you average higher, then you would be wasting your time. Oh, also Howard is a good school, but I dont know if you would get a lot of money from them at this point. So why not retake so if howard is your option you can get a lot of money from them.

Um.. I retook and look at it in two ways.

1st I could go to the school I would have gotten into with my first score, but now for free.

2nd The better school which I get into because of the score will simply have better job prospects. Sure It may be more competitive, but it could also lack some arbitrary teacher that fails you. Who knows how you will do. dwelling on and making decisions based on some imaginary result that only factors in how many times you took the test compared to your classmates, is ridiculous. Once again im biased. :)

Oh and if you take a year off you can relax and do research on what it takes to score well in law school. Heck learn how to type 100 words per minute. I think things like this would offset what ever it meant when you scored lower on your first test.

Just to make what I said more legit, Im black :|

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:50 pm

kk19131 wrote:My comment had NOTHING to do with the color of her skin, but with the FACT that her scores are OUTSIDE the media for UVA.

I don't see how it's so controversial to say that she would more than likely be at the bottom of the class. It's well documented that affirmative action at top law schools often leaves Black students at the bottom of the class.

Since you didn't drop the subject...

Image

Hopefully now everyone can understand that I mean it when I say that AA debates are not welcome in the on-topic forums, no matter what color the instigator happens to be. OP is asking what school they can get into, not for a debate about AA.

User avatar
DukeCornell
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Hopefully now everyone can understand that I mean it when I say that AA debates are not welcome in the on-topic forums, no matter what color the instigator happens to be.


:lol:

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:58 pm

hopehope wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:retake, sweetie


I know it sucks but keep at. Nothing is wrong with taking a year off and applying next cycle. Teach abroad, write a book, flip burgers, If you increase your score just a few points it is worth it. If you take it in june and study the bibles intensely you should be able to score pretty high. It is worth the wait.

DieAntwoord wrote:+1



I am 25, my DH has been very patient with me cos he really wants to start a family… Another year is going to be brutal for him. I could try to take in December…
But i feel like its pushing it, what if my score doesn't substantially go up and now i have 3 lSATS with not much weight…


I'm sorry but do you intend on having a child whilst in law school? :| If not, he would have to wait whether or not you start law school at 25 or 26 years of age. And depending on what you plan on doing immediately after graduation, having a child during your first year of employment as an attorney may not be that...accommodating.

For some reason or another I feel like DH is a huge reason you want to apply this year with a lower score than next year with a potentially higher score.

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider his wants/needs but at the end of the day, you're the one going to law school, not him. Moreover, I'm sure it would be a huge relief knowing that you'd be graduating with less debt than more of it just to attain your dream. A few points higher can determine just that.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby LAWLAW09 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:01 pm

OP has a PM.

User avatar
DukeCornell
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 3:19 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DukeCornell » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:04 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:OP has a PM.


Can I have one too? :roll:

User avatar
DieAntwoord
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:04 pm

Oh one more thing.
I went up 8 points, 170-178, because I never went over the wrong questions when studying and I got about 3 hours of sleep the night before. Perhaps the latter didn't play a role, who knows.
Either way do you think because I made those mistakes I am now going to do worse in law school than anyone who made a 171-180 the first time. I dont think so... Do I think I will do better than everyone 169 down, no.

I mean give me a break you miss one deduction in lg and your score drops 5 points and now you will do worse in law school than everyone else who did not miss that one deduction. Maybe you would miss a deduction like that every one out of ten times. And everyone else would miss a deduction of the same kind two out of every ten times. But this one time on this one test you missed it and they didnt, that doesnt mean you will now be a worse law student.

Also, material plays a role. Perhaps there is one work book that would have got you a 180 if you used it. Everyone else used it and got a 178. You did not use it and you got a 175.


Anyways im done this is getting boring thinking about.
Last edited by DieAntwoord on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DieAntwoord
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:08 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
hopehope wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:retake, sweetie


I know it sucks but keep at. Nothing is wrong with taking a year off and applying next cycle. Teach abroad, write a book, flip burgers, If you increase your score just a few points it is worth it. If you take it in june and study the bibles intensely you should be able to score pretty high. It is worth the wait.

DieAntwoord wrote:+1



I am 25, my DH has been very patient with me cos he really wants to start a family… Another year is going to be brutal for him. I could try to take in December…
But i feel like its pushing it, what if my score doesn't substantially go up and now i have 3 lSATS with not much -weight…


I'm sorry but do you intend on having a child whilst in law school? :| If not, he would have to wait whether or not you start law school at 25 or 26 years of age. And depending on what you plan on doing immediately after graduation, having a child during your first year of employment as an attorney may not be that...accommodating.

For some reason or another I feel like DH is a huge reason you want to apply this year with a lower score than next year with a potentially higher score.

I'm not saying you shouldn't consider his wants/needs but at the end of the day, you're the one going to law school, not him. Moreover, I'm sure it would be a huge relief knowing that you'd be graduating with less debt than more of it just to attain your dream. A few points higher can determine just that.

+1

simply, you are 25, put yourself first, this is about making the correct decisions for your future. Whether YOU want a child now, or YOU want to go to law school.

Is he going to take care of the child while you are in law school?

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:15 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:Oh one more thing.
I went up 8 points, 170-178, because I never went over the wrong questions when studying and I got about 3 hours of sleep the night before. Perhaps the latter didn't play a role, who knows.
Either way do you think because I made those mistakes I am now going to do worse in law school than anyone who made a 171-180 the first time. I dont think so... Do I think I will do better than everyone 169 down, no.

I mean give me a break you miss one deduction in lg and your score drops 5 points and now you will do worse in law school than everyone else who did not miss that one deduction. Maybe you would miss a deduction like that every one out of ten times. And everyone else would miss a deduction of the same kind two out of every ten times. But this one time on this one test you missed it and they didnt, that doesnt mean you will now be a worse law student.


It's flawed reasoning when you think of it. I have yet to see a proven correlation between LSAT score determining how well one performs in law school.

That said, we have reason to be concerned as to why there is a less percentage of African Americans/black law students passing the bar on first try when compared to our white counterparts.

User avatar
DieAntwoord
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:15 pm

DukeCornell wrote:
LAWLAW09 wrote:OP has a PM.


Can I have one too? :roll:

+1

Wait I have a suspicion that lawlaw9 and kk are the same person?

User avatar
DieAntwoord
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:19 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:Oh one more thing.
I went up 8 points, 170-178, because I never went over the wrong questions when studying and I got about 3 hours of sleep the night before. Perhaps the latter didn't play a role, who knows.
Either way do you think because I made those mistakes I am now going to do worse in law school than anyone who made a 171-180 the first time. I dont think so... Do I think I will do better than everyone 169 down, no.

I mean give me a break you miss one deduction in lg and your score drops 5 points and now you will do worse in law school than everyone else who did not miss that one deduction. Maybe you would miss a deduction like that every one out of ten times. And everyone else would miss a deduction of the same kind two out of every ten times. But this one time on this one test you missed it and they didnt, that doesnt mean you will now be a worse law student.


It's flawed reasoning when you think of it. I have yet to see a proven correlation between LSAT score determining how well one performs in law school.

That said, we have reason to be concerned as to why there is a less percentage of African Americans/black law students passing the bar on first try when compared to our white counterparts.


Concern: YES
Reason: I think it is simple...

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:21 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:Oh one more thing.
I went up 8 points, 170-178, because I never went over the wrong questions when studying and I got about 3 hours of sleep the night before. Perhaps the latter didn't play a role, who knows.
Either way do you think because I made those mistakes I am now going to do worse in law school than anyone who made a 171-180 the first time. I dont think so... Do I think I will do better than everyone 169 down, no.

I mean give me a break you miss one deduction in lg and your score drops 5 points and now you will do worse in law school than everyone else who did not miss that one deduction. Maybe you would miss a deduction like that every one out of ten times. And everyone else would miss a deduction of the same kind two out of every ten times. But this one time on this one test you missed it and they didnt, that doesnt mean you will now be a worse law student.


It's flawed reasoning when you think of it. I have yet to see a proven correlation between LSAT score determining how well one performs in law school.

That said, we have reason to be concerned as to why there is a less percentage of African Americans/black law students passing the bar on first try when compared to our white counterparts.


Concern: YES
Reason: I think it is simple...

People. STOP discussing this here, PLEASE. I would hate to have to start banning more folks to get this to die. This discussion does not help OP at all.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests