157 3.3 African American Female Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
EbonyEsq

Bronze

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:22 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:Is he going to take care of the child while you are in law school?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to go on assuming anything, but a mother almost always takes the lead when caring for a firstborn child. The man can't do that on his own and I won't even wish that on him or any man. It is HARD work and he will most definitely need his wife by his side. :mrgreen:

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:
EbonyEsq wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:Oh one more thing.
I went up 8 points, 170-178, because I never went over the wrong questions when studying and I got about 3 hours of sleep the night before. Perhaps the latter didn't play a role, who knows.
Either way do you think because I made those mistakes I am now going to do worse in law school than anyone who made a 171-180 the first time. I dont think so... Do I think I will do better than everyone 169 down, no.

I mean give me a break you miss one deduction in lg and your score drops 5 points and now you will do worse in law school than everyone else who did not miss that one deduction. Maybe you would miss a deduction like that every one out of ten times. And everyone else would miss a deduction of the same kind two out of every ten times. But this one time on this one test you missed it and they didnt, that doesnt mean you will now be a worse law student.
It's flawed reasoning when you think of it. I have yet to see a proven correlation between LSAT score determining how well one performs in law school.

That said, we have reason to be concerned as to why there is a less percentage of African Americans/black law students passing the bar on first try when compared to our white counterparts.
Concern: YES
Reason: I think it is simple...
People. STOP discussing this here, PLEASE. I would hate to have to start banning more folks to get this to die. This discussion does not help OP at all.
Sorry.
Can we talk about child rearing? It is relative.

EbonyEsq

Bronze

Post by EbonyEsq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:26 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:Sorry.
Concurred. It's imperative.

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 pm

DukeCornell wrote:
LAWLAW09 wrote:OP has a PM.
Can I have one too? :roll:

Check your messages.

DieAntwoord wrote:
DukeCornell wrote:
+1

Wait I have a suspicion that lawlaw9 and kk are the same person?

I think this thread has enough stupidity in it. Let's not add to it.

hopehope

New

Post by hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Thanks, that was very helpful. Which leads to me add, I have a few other softs, do you guys think that will make a difference for me?

Like:
I am not originally America - I am a naturalized American. I am originally from and grew up in a country in Africa that had a lot of religious tensions - and I was persecuted for my religion - hence my low GPA cos I transfrd to the college I graduated from in the US and they averaged my GPA with the one from my first undergrad school which was really low cos the school was shutdown a gazillion times because of religious strikes. All, I think are good stuff for my PS. Addendums maybe??

Also, I sometimes think my extra softs other than being AA may not make as much of a difference if I get denied right off the bat because of numbers - like the automatic rejections...??

But does anyone think that the above will make a difference -

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hopehope

New

Post by hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:38 pm

Also, I really do think I would do a lot better in law school. I know I have much more potential, but undergrad I worked 50 hours a week to support myself through college and studying for the LSAT....!!! It was tough but I got all As on all my pre-law classes like con law, civil libs...contrary to what the other poster said about me coming out in the bottom in UVA :roll:

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:39 pm

hopehope wrote:
Thanks, that was very helpful. Which leads to me add, I have a few other softs, do you guys think that will make a difference for me?

Like:
I am not originally America - I am a naturalized American. I am originally from and grew up in a country in Africa that had a lot of religious tensions - and I was persecuted for my religion - hence my low GPA cos I transfrd to the college I graduated from in the US and they averaged my GPA with the one from my first undergrad school which was really low cos the school was shutdown a gazillion times because of religious strikes. All, I think are good stuff for my PS. Addendums maybe??

Also, I sometimes think my extra softs other than being AA may not make as much of a difference if I get denied right off the bat because of numbers - like the automatic rejections...??

But does anyone think that the above will make a difference -
If it ever does make a difference it will for you.

hopehope

New

Post by hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:39 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:Is he going to take care of the child while you are in law school?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not to go on assuming anything, but a mother almost always takes the lead when caring for a firstborn child. The man can't do that on his own and I won't even wish that on him or any man. It is HARD work and he will most definitely need his wife by his side. :mrgreen:
I agree. Esp in the culture that I am from.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:40 pm

EbonyEsq wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:Sorry.
Concurred. It's imperative.
That's less offensive and more potentially useful, so I have no problem with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hopehope

New

Post by hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:42 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:If it ever does make a difference it will for you.
Are you being sarcastic? It seems borderline....I cant tell.

If you are not, I really do hope it does. In light of that, should I do what most people here say and retake or rely on those softs?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:44 pm

hopehope wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:If it ever does make a difference it will for you.
Are you being sarcastic? It seems borderline....I cant tell.

If you are not, I really do hope it does. In light of that, should I do what most people here say and retake or rely on those softs?
URM status plus your softs would be significantly helpful. Softs are even more important when you're a URM, and yours would be impressive to adcomms.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 pm

hopehope wrote:Also, I really do think I would do a lot better in law school. I know I have much more potential, but undergrad I worked 50 hours a week to support myself through college and studying for the LSAT....!!! It was tough but I got all As on all my pre-law classes like con law, civil libs...contrary to what the other poster said about me coming out in the bottom in UVA :roll:
If I could be so bold....... It is very important for you to make good grades in law school so I would make sure you have your "at home" situation organized so you dont have to put in the time, like 50 hours of work, into other responsibilities.

Not being sarcastic.
Why rely on softs when you dont have to because you have the option to retake. I think the softs will help you but a retake will help you more. Both helping you together would be ideal.

Which african country are you from?

Right now you are not suffering from what you experinced before. So it would be the perfect time to show the adcomms what you can do when you have the opportunity. One way to do that is ace the lsat.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:51 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:
DukeCornell wrote:

Check your messages.

DieAntwoord wrote:
DukeCornell wrote:
+1

Wait I have a suspicion that lawlaw9 and kk are the same person?

I think this thread has enough stupidity in it. Let's not add to it.
Sorry, I thought it would have been ironic and funny. Sometimes my imagination runs away.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LAWLAW09

Bronze

Post by LAWLAW09 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:53 pm

It's all good DieAnt

hopehope

New

Post by hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:08 pm

DieAntwoord wrote:
hopehope wrote:Also, I really do think I would do a lot better in law school. I know I have much more potential, but undergrad I worked 50 hours a week to support myself through college and studying for the LSAT....!!! It was tough but I got all As on all my pre-law classes like con law, civil libs...contrary to what the other poster said about me coming out in the bottom in UVA :roll:
If I could be so bold....... It is very important for you to make good grades in law school so I would make sure you have your "at home" situation organized so you dont have to put in the time, like 50 hours of work, into other responsibilities.

Right now you are not suffering from what you experinced before. So it would be the perfect time to show the adcomms what you can do when you have the opportunity. One way to do that is ace the lsat.

Oh yeah, since I graduated, I have worked my ass off and saved. Plus my DH would be able to support me (another reason why SMU is ideal is cos he already has a potential job offer that would match his current income if not more - so we would be fine).
If I retake, it will be my third LSAT...?
But I am still working full time...So I can only study at nights...However, you make a very good point there...
Last edited by hopehope on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:11 pm

hopehope wrote:Oh yeah, since I graduated, I have worked my ass off and saved. Plus my DH would be able to support me (another reason why SMU is ideal is cos he already has a potential job offer that would match his current income if not more - so we would be fine).

There's nothing wrong with shooting for SMU especially if you have someone who can support you. SMU would probably offer you some $$ to go there.

hopehope

New

Post by hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
hopehope wrote:Oh yeah, since I graduated, I have worked my ass off and saved. Plus my DH would be able to support me (another reason why SMU is ideal is cos he already has a potential job offer that would match his current income if not more - so we would be fine).

There's nothing wrong with shooting for SMU especially if you have someone who can support you. SMU would probably offer you some $$ to go there.
ok, cool. I am going to fill out the application this weekend. Per your earlier comment, I will focus a lot of energy on highlighting my softs and hope that gets me in the door!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 pm

reaisan wrote:
MartianManhunter wrote:Assuming the rest of your application is tight...

1. University of Texas Austin - Out
2. University of Georgia - In
3. Southern Methodist University - In
4. University of Maryland - In
5. Emory - Your GPA makes it iffy. Let's say WL.

... Shoot an application to Cornell... Who knows what opportunities it could open up?
Hey! I am also an AA female with similar scores (though I expect a little higher on the LSAT in Dec and have a 3.2). UGA was one of my top schools and I have always been told I would need a 164 to get in. So, I wanted to know why you think she has a definite shot there or other schools on her list.
Generally inferring it from where URMS with slightly higher/similar numbers end up. All those schools except Emory and UT are attainable. A high GPA with LSAT scores in the upper 150s can break as high as Vandy. The lower GPA and slightly lower score should net you an acceptance somewhere between t25 and t30. It's really the low GPA that's the killer here, though. SMU and UMD don't seem to be much of a stretch at all.

There aren't that many applicants on LSN for UGA, but some reference:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/moviechicka/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/staredecisis/jd
reaisan wrote: A shot a Cornell? This is the upteenth time I've heard that. Howrealistic is this? I know an AA female with a 3.85 and a 156. Should I be begging her to apply ED to Cornell?
Cornell's history has shown that they're favorable to AA males and females in the mid-3.0's and score in between 150-160 that apply EA (if I remember correctly, it's not binding, so why not?):

http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/
http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0708/

None of this is saying you're a lock or anything, but that you have a shot and it's worth applying.

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Cornell's history has shown that they're favorable to AA males and females in the mid-3.0's and score in between 150-160 that apply EA
+1 (high 150's-160)

reaisan

Bronze

Post by reaisan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:03 pm

Wow, that is insane! If you plan on taking the LSAT in Dec, can you still apply, or do you have to wait--- and if you can't ED, are your chances dashed? I suppose its worth a shot either way. Not trying at all is a definite no.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”