157 3.3 African American Female

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
hopehope
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 am

157 3.3 African American Female

Postby hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:35 am

What are my chances?

1. University of Texas Austin
2. University of Georgia
3. Southern Methodist University
4. University of Maryland
5. Emory

Also do you guys know any schools that will give me money? I know my numbers are sooooooooo incredibly low. But this is my second LSAT after over a year of studying, quite frankly I may have hit my ceiling. Even though my average PT was 163. I study and break the 160s every time but on test day I cant seem to repeat that, so I am soo depressed right now. I really want to apply early, cos I am scared at risking retaking in December for the third time and not doing so hot and then applying late and making things even worse. Any ideas? Any top school that will give me money?

hopehope
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:21 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby hopehope » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:03 am

Also would I be considered non traditional because I worked full time while in undergrad?

User avatar
Spack
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby Spack » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:58 am

My numbers are about the same as yours. I would say check of LSN (Law School Numbers) it will give you an insight into who is getting into what schools with your numbers. I don't know much about most of the schools, but I think Emory and U of Georgia would be longshots even for a URM with your numbers.

Also, you're kinda pushing the "applying early" thing. You really should get apps in ASAP if you want to benefit from applying earlier.

And finally, non-traditional I think refers to someone who isn't coming directly from undergrad and has nothing to do with work experience. So for example it would be a 43 year old army vet.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:38 am

What goes wrong on test day for you? If it's anxiety, have you tried addressing that specifically? 6 points under your average a pretty big discrepancy. 163 would put you in a much better position.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:53 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/billyez/jd (AA Male/3.02/160)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BeanieBean/jd AA Male/3.11/161)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/VADouble757/jd (AA Male/3.2/160)

note those are males, and I think the boost is a little stronger for males.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 am

sophia.olive wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/billyez/jd (AA Male/3.02/160)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BeanieBean/jd AA Male/3.11/161)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/VADouble757/jd (AA Male/3.2/160)

note those are males, and I think the boost is a little stronger for males.


I think the difference between 160 and 157 is not insignificant (akin to the difference between 167 and 170 for non-URM applicants).

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:54 am

May I ask why you picked those specific schools?

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:55 am

plenipotentiary wrote:
sophia.olive wrote:http://lawschoolnumbers.com/billyez/jd (AA Male/3.02/160)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/BeanieBean/jd AA Male/3.11/161)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/VADouble757/jd (AA Male/3.2/160)

note those are males, and I think the boost is a little stronger for males.


I think the difference between 160 and 157 is not insignificant (akin to the difference between 167 and 170 for non-URM applicants).



Oh yeah, I forgot to head that with retake.

User avatar
sophia.olive
Posts: 885
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 am

retake, sweetie


I know it sucks but keep at. Nothing is wrong with taking a year off and applying next cycle. Teach abroad, write a book, flip burgers, If you increase your score just a few points it is worth it. If you take it in june and study the bibles intensely you should be able to score pretty high. It is worth the wait.

User avatar
DieAntwoord
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby DieAntwoord » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:03 am

sophia.olive wrote:retake, sweetie


I know it sucks but keep at. Nothing is wrong with taking a year off and applying next cycle. Teach abroad, write a book, flip burgers, If you increase your score just a few points it is worth it. If you take it in june and study the bibles intensely you should be able to score pretty high. It is worth the wait.

+1

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 am

Yes, listen to that absurd advice... waste a year of your life for a 2-3 point difference.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:12 am

kk19131 wrote:Yes, listen to that absurd advice... waste a year of your life for a 2-3 point difference.


That year of her life could mean hundreds of thousands of dollars in future income. I'm sure that's a lot more than she's making now.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:15 am

plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Yes, listen to that absurd advice... waste a year of your life for a 2-3 point difference.


That year of her life could mean hundreds of thousands of dollars in future income. I'm sure that's a lot more than she's making now.



Or, she could just go to a school that better fits her stats and come out with much less debt.

Also... "hundreds of thousands of dollars in future income"? Please.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:16 am

kk19131 wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Yes, listen to that absurd advice... waste a year of your life for a 2-3 point difference.


That year of her life could mean hundreds of thousands of dollars in future income. I'm sure that's a lot more than she's making now.



Or, she could just go to a school that better fits her stats and come out with much less debt.

Also... "hundreds of thousands of dollars in future income"? Please.


A higher score would also mean more scholarship money at a lower-ranked school.

Anyway, do you think she's equally likely to start at $160k out of SMU as UVA? Do the math. Why should she shortchange herself?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am

plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:Yes, listen to that absurd advice... waste a year of your life for a 2-3 point difference.


That year of her life could mean hundreds of thousands of dollars in future income. I'm sure that's a lot more than she's making now.



Or, she could just go to a school that better fits her stats and come out with much less debt.

Also... "hundreds of thousands of dollars in future income"? Please.


A higher score would also mean more scholarship money at a lower-ranked school.

Anyway, do you think she's equally likely to start at $160k out of SMU as UVA? Do the math. Why should she shortchange herself?



I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

If anything, she should go to a place like Howard

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 am

kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

If anything, she should go to a place like Howard


There's no guarantee that she'd be at the top of her class at a lower ranked school. The Howard comment is totally fucked up. You need to check yourself.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 am

kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

If anything, she should go to a place like Howard


OP please ignore bullshit posts like this and try to get up to a 162 or so. Your opportunities coming from UVA will be much better than from a Howard etc. level school.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 am

plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

If anything, she should go to a place like Howard


There's no guarantee that she'd be at the top of her class at a lower ranked school. The Howard comment is totally fucked up. You need to check yourself.



There's no guarantee... but it's far more likely.

LSAT scores correlate with how well people do in law school. The facts are the facts.

And, the Howard comment is not fucked up... it's the truth.

I'm a Black man. So, you are the one who needs to check yourself, my dear.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby kk19131 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:29 am

BruceWayne wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

If anything, she should go to a place like Howard


OP please ignore bullshit posts like this and try to get up to a 162 or so. Your opportunities coming from UVA will be much better than from a Howard etc. level school.


Nonsense.

User avatar
paratactical
Posts: 5961
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:06 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby paratactical » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 am

kk19131 wrote:I'm a Black man. So, you are the one who needs to check yourself, my dear.


Hooray! PDaddy was getting old.

User avatar
plenipotentiary
Posts: 616
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:33 am

kk19131 wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

If anything, she should go to a place like Howard


There's no guarantee that she'd be at the top of her class at a lower ranked school. The Howard comment is totally fucked up. You need to check yourself.



There's no guarantee... but it's far more likely.

LSAT scores correlate with how well people do in law school. The facts are the facts.

And, the Howard comment is not fucked up... it's the truth.

I'm a Black man. So, you are the one who needs to check yourself, my dear.


My understanding is that LSAT score + GPA account for about 20% of the variation in 1L grades. Also, check any employment thread -- firms are interested in URMs, too.

Black men aren't immune to internalized racism.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:35 am

kk19131 wrote:LSAT scores correlate with how well people do in law school. The facts are the facts.


Lol. You do realize that it's not a particularly impressive correlation, right?

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:37 am

kk19131 wrote:LSAT scores correlate with how well people do in law school. The facts are the facts.


In your own words, I'd call that nothing short of

kk19131 wrote:Nonsense



kk19131 wrote:I'm a Black man. So, you are the one who needs to check yourself, my dear.


And I'm a black woman who disagrees with you. What is your point? Just because you're black doesn't give you more of a right to speak of Howard than a man or woman a shade lighter than you.

That said, where is your proof that one's LSAT score determines how well one does in law school? Bring your facts to the table.

Funny thing is law school has NOTHING to do with the practice itself. This especially holds true for those working in BIGLAW where you seldom put to use the skills acquired as a 1L.

Anyway, OP, good luck to you whatever you decide. However, I agree with sophie.olive and others who advise you retake. :wink:

User avatar
EbonyEsq
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby EbonyEsq » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

plenipotentiary wrote:Black men aren't immune to internalized racism.


Amen. :mrgreen:

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 157 3.3 African American Female

Postby beach_terror » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:50 am

kk19131 wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:
kk19131 wrote:I think she is more likely to be at the bottom of the UVA graduating class and be nearly shut out from $160k salaries anyway.

If anything, she should go to a place like Howard


There's no guarantee that she'd be at the top of her class at a lower ranked school. The Howard comment is totally fucked up. You need to check yourself.


LSAT scores correlate with how well people do in law school. The facts are the facts.



LOL... this is false, 0Ls ignore this.

I really hope this guy is PDaddy v2 in the making.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests