3.5/166 Chances at SMU

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
baileyb3

3.5/166 Chances at SMU

Postby baileyb3 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:23 pm

GPA: 3.5
LSAT: 166 (first and only take)
English Major/History Minor
non-URM but fairly compelling story in my PS
Work in the Admissions office of my University
Sorority
20+ hours of community service every semester of college
Congressional Internship
Lived in Texas my whole life and I want to stay here

I feel as though I have a decent chance for admission to SMU. My question is whether or not I might have a chance at scholarship money. SMU is my first choice but like most people I need $$! Any semi-informed guesses would be much appreciated!

TT09

Re: 3.5/166 Chances at SMU

Postby TT09 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:27 pm

baileyb3 wrote:GPA: 3.5
LSAT: 166 (first and only take)
non-URM but fairly compelling story in my PS
Work in the Admissions office of my University
Sorority
20+ hours of community service every semester of college
Congressional Internship
Lived in Texas my whole life and I want to stay here

I feel as though I have a decent chance for admission to SMU. My question is whether or not I might have a chance at scholarship money. SMU is my first choice but like most people I need $$! Any semi-informed guesses would be much appreciated!

I would say you're an admit with some scholly money. How much, I'm not sure...

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:41 am

Dandy chances with a fine scholarship.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:48 am

Enjoy SMU with money. 2-3 more points would give you a decent shot at Texas though...

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:02 am

rad law wrote:Enjoy SMU with money. 2-3 more points would give you a decent shot at Texas though...

this.
Anecdotally, I have a freind who works at a firm in dallas who was talking to me about how SMU students are applying to her firm and it is just not happening for them. She just got hired, she is from WUSTL.
Personally I think SMU is a good school in a good area, but be careful, and you should probably retake unless you are rich. Even with a scholarship, if it is not substantial UT would probably be cheaper. With UT you have a better shot at the dallas, houston, austin, markets. With SMU you have a shot at the Dallas market and it will be very hard for you in houston (probably the best place to be in texas) against U Houston and Texas. Austin will probably be impossible from SMU.

It looks like you will need about 30,000 in scholarships in order to break even with the resident tuition for UT. Though I think Texas' tuition is on the rise so it may be less than that.

Return to “What are my chances?”