Chances at Indiana-Bloomington with a 157/3.82?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
dctd

Chances at Indiana-Bloomington with a 157/3.82?

Postby dctd » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Hey all,

I'm wondering about my chances of admission at Indiana-Bloomington. I got a 157 on the LSAT, which was 5 points below my pt average, and have a 3.82 GPA at (what I would like to think is) a very well-regarded, public school in the Midwest. I have pretty strong outside factors, especially my LOR's, including a letter from my university's General Counsel that I conducted undergraduate research with and took an independent study course from for 3 semesters, as well as from my university's president who received his JD from Indiana-Indianapolis and practiced in Indianapolis for a few years after his graduation.

Do you all think I have a shot to get in? I'm considering applying this application cycle and then if I do not like my options, I I'll take next year off, work a part time job, and study like crazy for the June LSAT and re-apply after that. If I get accepted with this year, do you think it is even worth the out-of-state tuition to attend? My attraction to IU-Bloomington stems from my girlfriend's desire to be an Optometrist, and the fact that the school provides us with the best combination of law school and optometry school to continue pursuing our education in the same city.

I'm also considering other schools such as Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska which I should have a much better shot of getting in to, as well as another "reach" school in Iowa.

Thanks!

HeavenWood

Re: Chances at Indiana-Bloomington with a 157/3.82?

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:29 pm

You have a modest chance at Indiana. They have a very wide LSAT and GPA range. You are at the bottom of one range and the top of the other. Unfortunately, you are at the bottom of the more important range.

Retake in December if you can. A 162 applying in early January has a much better shot than a 157 in November--regardless of the GPA.

dctd

Postby dctd » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks for the input.

I'm still just a little hesitant to take the December exam if my score will only go up a few points, say if I get a 159 or 160 this next time. However, I realize increasing to a 160+ would be a great asset in my application. I took the June administration and canceled my score, so if I took it again in December, without much practice time to practice in between, I would effectively eliminate the option of taking a year off, studying like crazy and getting my score up to a 165+, which I think is definitely possible.

Do you think the school's will frown on me applying this cycle, surveying my options, and then potentially taking a year to work in between and applying again next year?

GettingReady2010

Postby GettingReady2010 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:11 pm

HeavenWood wrote:You have a modest chance at Indiana. They have a very wide LSAT and GPA range. You are at the bottom of one range and the top of the other. Unfortunately, you are at the bottom of the more important range.

Retake in December if you can. A 162 applying in early January has a much better shot than a 157 in November--regardless of the GPA.

I think this is a bit optimistic according to LSN.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:54 pm

GettingReady2010 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:You have a modest chance at Indiana. They have a very wide LSAT and GPA range. You are at the bottom of one range and the top of the other. Unfortunately, you are at the bottom of the more important range.

I think this is a bit optimistic according to LSN.

Perhaps we have different definitions of "modest." In my book, modest is slightly better than slim--nowhere near a "good shot," but not an "autoreject" either.

Return to “What are my chances?”