Splitter - 3.26/179 - where to apply? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Siamsa414

Bronze

Splitter - 3.26/179 - where to apply?

Post by Siamsa414 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:41 pm

My LSDAS UGPA is 3.26 from a top-25 university. My October 2010 LSAT was 179. I have a few years of work experience under my belt and pretty good softs, but just OK LORs. (positive recs from employers but none from professors, since it's been a few years and my professors wouldn't know me if they tripped over me)

Where should I apply? Should I write a GPA addendum?

Remnantofisrael

Bronze

Re: Splitter - 3.26/179 - where to apply?

Post by Remnantofisrael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:01 pm

First of all, get a damned academic letter. BLANKET contact all your old professors. Be willing to say, "I know you likely don't remember me, but". Try and focus in on professors who you could reference quality work with. I know it sounds useless, but EVERYONE seems to think a mediocre generic academic letter plus two professional letters is much better than two professional letters.

I've been out of school 7 years and I had multiple profs say, "look, I don't really remember you BUT I'd still be willing to write you an LOR IF you send me some of your old work and type up a mock letter giving details of our interactions". Then they will end up sending something generic but hopefully with some fluff.

Alternatively, target a really nice prof who YOU remember well, and act like you were the bestest of friends at the time.

Lastly, if you had friendships with any of the TA's in class, many of those people are now likely doctoral students. Even a TA letter is better than no letter.
----

Now for what school to apply to. 179 URM. Every. Single. School.

Siamsa414

Bronze

Re: Splitter - 3.26/179 - where to apply?

Post by Siamsa414 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks for the advice. I've been reluctant to go begging for academic letters, and it'll be a scramble, but if I really want to go to law school then I had better just suck it up!

By the way, I'm not URM, but I am LGBT. Don't think that counts for much though, other than a good personal statement.

Return to “What are my chances?”