4.1 / 164

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
vi_vi

4.1 / 164

Postby vi_vi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Last edited by vi_vi on Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kalvano

Re: GPA- 4.1 LSAT- 164

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:31 pm

UVA is your best bet. Out at GULC, WL at UCLA.

According to LSN.

Edit - Missed the possible URM bit. If you are, apply to entire T20. Accept best offer. Models and bottles.
Last edited by kalvano on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm

If you get to legitimately say you are a URM, you should apply everywhere.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:43 pm

RETAKE!!!! add a few points and get a great shot at HYS, dont waste that awesome GPA that you busted your a@@ for

vi_vi

Postby vi_vi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:57 pm

Well here's the thing. We found out maybe 2-3 years ago that my mothers birth parents are 100% mexican. My father is danish/english though so I have a ridiculously american name..think Timothy Smith or something like that. I called my Mom to make sure she had written documentation of her nationality and she has her real parents marriage certificate the adoption papers and all that kind of stuff to prove that I am a legit 1/2 mexican. I am taking the LSAT again in december as I literally studied for a week for the october LSAT and did meh on it...i got -0 and -1 on the logical reasoning sections and -4 on the reading comprehension but completely bombed the LG section. Im fairly certain i can get a 170+ this next LSAT.

Question is...do i just go ahead and apply to all the schools from T14 and T15-25 and say that Im a URM? Or should i go ahead and apply to my lower ranked schools with my current LSAT score and wait to apply to the T14 with my new LSAT score come January-ish?

Just some background about me as far as softs that i didnt mention in my initial post:

I had a 3 year NSF scholarship at the Univ of Chicago
I was one of the people who led and started the Los Angeles censoring of homeless people while I was in undergrad.
My childhood background essentially consisted of running in gangs, selling and doing drugs, barely graduating highschool, and being taken to juvenile hall several times. (i turned my life around quite a bit).
Um, other than that...my fiance is a PhD student at Johns Hopkins but Im pretty sure that doesnt count for anything haha.

vi_vi

Re: 4.1 / 164

Postby vi_vi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Bump

Columbia Law

Postby Columbia Law » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:37 pm

ENJOY FORDHAM PT

vi_vi

Postby vi_vi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:49 pm

Columbia Law wrote:ENJOY FORDHAM PT

Fordham is on my list of schools Im applying to. Im retaking the exam in December with the hopes to get at the very least above a 167 (+3 from october score). Will taking the December LSAT greatly increase my odds of getting in to a T20 (if not T10)? The December LSAT scores arent released until January 10th....so should I just go ahead and apply to all my schools now, and indicate that Im taking the December school? Will they wait to evaluate me then or re-evaluate me once the scores are released?

I'm looking to be involved in human rights law and/or international law, if that helps with what schools I should be applying to.

TLS is getting me all kinds of worried and anxious about my numbers.

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:53 pm

vi_vi wrote:Well here's the thing. We found out maybe 2-3 years ago that my mothers birth parents are 100% mexican. My father is danish/english though so I have a ridiculously american name..think Timothy Smith or something like that. I called my Mom to make sure she had written documentation of her nationality and she has her real parents marriage certificate the adoption papers and all that kind of stuff to prove that I am a legit 1/2 mexican. I am taking the LSAT again in december as I literally studied for a week for the october LSAT and did meh on it...i got -0 and -1 on the logical reasoning sections and -4 on the reading comprehension but completely bombed the LG section. Im fairly certain i can get a 170+ this next LSAT.

Question is...do i just go ahead and apply to all the schools from T14 and T15-25 and say that Im a URM? Or should i go ahead and apply to my lower ranked schools with my current LSAT score and wait to apply to the T14 with my new LSAT score come January-ish?

Just some background about me as far as softs that i didnt mention in my initial post:

I had a 3 year NSF scholarship at the Univ of Chicago
I was one of the people who led and started the Los Angeles censoring of homeless people while I was in undergrad.
My childhood background essentially consisted of running in gangs, selling and doing drugs, barely graduating highschool, and being taken to juvenile hall several times. (i turned my life around quite a bit).
Um, other than that...my fiance is a PhD student at Johns Hopkins but Im pretty sure that doesnt count for anything haha.

I would not bring this up in any way on your law school posts. You could get UVA if you ED. Other then that maybe something in the 18-25 range.

vi_vi

Postby vi_vi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Not going to include that in my personal statement at all...I did when I applied to Graduate School and got in to Harvard/UofC/Stanford/Princeton for Anthropology... My PS consists mostly of how my experiences working with Roma Gypsies has shaped my view on justice, personal freedom and identity..these experiences I got whilst working on my thesis at UofC.

Main reason I included it was just to highlight that I come from a pretty underpriveledged and somewhat troubled childhood (all of things I mentioned happened between the ages of 13-17).

Thanks for the feedback, though :)

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:19 pm

vi_vi wrote:Not going to include that in my personal statement at all...I did when I applied to Graduate School and got in to Harvard/UofC/Stanford/Princeton for Anthropology... My PS consists mostly of how my experiences working with Roma Gypsies has shaped my view on justice, personal freedom and identity..these experiences I got whilst working on my thesis at UofC.

Main reason I included it was just to highlight that I come from a pretty underpriveledged and somewhat troubled childhood (all of things I mentioned happened between the ages of 13-17).

Thanks for the feedback, though :)

What graduate school were you going into? you must have had good scores because i couldnt see that story helping. But hey, congrats on turning your life around so much!

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:29 pm

vi_vi wrote:Well here's the thing. We found out maybe 2-3 years ago that my mothers birth parents are 100% mexican. My father is danish/english though so I have a ridiculously american name..think Timothy Smith or something like that. I called my Mom to make sure she had written documentation of her nationality and she has her real parents marriage certificate the adoption papers and all that kind of stuff to prove that I am a legit 1/2 mexican. I am taking the LSAT again in december as I literally studied for a week for the october LSAT and did meh on it...i got -0 and -1 on the logical reasoning sections and -4 on the reading comprehension but completely bombed the LG section. Im fairly certain i can get a 170+ this next LSAT.

If you scored a 164 with a week of prep, then your potential is probably in the 175+ range. (especially if LG are your weak area) Even without URM status, a 175/4.1 plus your softs will probably get you HYS, and serious $$$ from CCN.

You may want to consider postponing the LSAT until Feb and sitting out this cycle. It would be a waste to hit 170 with a month of prep when you could realistically hit 175+ with 3-4 months of prep.

Return to “What are my chances?”