3.81 GPA, 175 LSAT, BA/MA Program

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
z10splayer

3.81 GPA, 175 LSAT, BA/MA Program

Postby z10splayer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey TLS'ers,

This is my first post on this board, even though I have been reading posts on here for a long time.

I recently got my LSAT scores back, and was thrilled to find that I got a 175. According to all the law school predictors, I should have a pretty good shot at the top 5.

This year I was the sole admittee from my department for the BA/MA program. I will be getting my Bachelor's and Master's degree at the end of this year. My concern is that my MA GPA, which I don't think will be quite up to the standard of my Undergrad GPA, will count against me. I've heard differing opinions on whether law schools take MA's into account.

What do you guys know about the subject? Also, does going straight into law school, instead of taking a few years off to get work experience, hurt me at all?

Thanks!

Knock

Re: 3.81 GPA, 175 LSAT, BA/MA Program

Postby Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:43 pm

z10splayer wrote:Hey TLS'ers,

This is my first post on this board, even though I have been reading posts on here for a long time.

I recently got my LSAT scores back, and was thrilled to find that I got a 175. According to all the law school predictors, I should have a pretty good shot at the top 5.

This year I was the sole admittee from my department for the BA/MA program. I will be getting my Bachelor's and Master's degree at the end of this year. My concern is that my MA GPA, which I don't think will be quite up to the standard of my Undergrad GPA, will count against me. I've heard differing opinions on whether law schools take MA's into account.

What do you guys know about the subject? Also, does going straight into law school, instead of taking a few years off to get work experience, hurt me at all?

Thanks!

It won't look good if your MA GPA isn't too strong, mainly because Masters have the reputation that anything besides an A means you did very poorly. But since the UG GPA is the one used to calculate your LSDAS GPA, and that is ultimately the GPA that matters, it shouldn't be a big deal at all.

gambelda

Re: 3.81 GPA, 175 LSAT, BA/MA Program

Postby gambelda » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:56 pm

I think going straight to law school won't hurt you...but it doesn't give you an advantage. Personally, I think people who don't work in between their UG and another degree regardless of what that degree is really deprive themselves of valuable experiences. I know a number of schools are starting to favor people with work experience.

Return to “What are my chances?”