Percentile Pick... Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
JDHopeful

Bronze

Percentile Pick...

Post by JDHopeful » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:07 pm

If you are right at a school's median LSAT and slightly above their 75% GPA, and received a fee waiver from them, what are your chances of admission there?

TommyK

Silver

Re: Percentile Pick...

Post by TommyK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Try not to throw up on the application and you should be fine.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:10 pm

I'd say at least 80-90% unless that school is HYS/Columbia/Chicago/Berkeley (holistic) or MVP (YP).
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDHopeful

Bronze

Post by JDHopeful » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Yea, its not.. it (well, they're) each closer to 50-70 ranger.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Then consider it a safety.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JDHopeful

Bronze

Post by JDHopeful » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:22 pm

thanks; so, you think i have a great shot at getting in? additionally, i have a letter of rec from an extremely high official in one of the schools' systems.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:34 pm

JDHopeful wrote:If you are right at a school's median LSAT and slightly above their 75% GPA, and received a fee waiver from them, what are your chances of admission there?
Fee waivers are sent pretty erratically. I just got one from Duke. Why did they send me a fee waiver?

A) They are scrambling to admit more white, upper-middle class Jews
B) They are intrigued by my most original desire to practice as a public interest attorney
C) I have only a small chance at admission, but Duke sees people like me as a chance to increase their volume of applications (and hence, further reduce their already low acceptance rate).

I'm not saying this situation directly applies to you. If you're at/above a school's medians, you stand a good shot at being admitted. I am saying this is most likely independent of you receiving a merit-based fee waiver.

JDHopeful

Bronze

Post by JDHopeful » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:59 pm

yea, i'm pretty familiar with their goal of compelling people who would get rejected to apply who otherwise wouldn't, in hopes of boosting their "selectivity" statistics. But, would they do this to an applicant who meets their higher standards?

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:41 pm

JDHopeful wrote:yea, i'm pretty familiar with their goal of compelling people who would get rejected to apply who otherwise wouldn't, in hopes of boosting their "selectivity" statistics. But, would they do this to an applicant who meets their higher standards?
Yeah, your fee waiver probably has little to do with your chance of being accepted and everything to do with you being a candidate with a higher index score than 50% of their current student population.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JDHopeful

Bronze

Post by JDHopeful » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:42 pm

TommyK wrote:
JDHopeful wrote:yea, i'm pretty familiar with their goal of compelling people who would get rejected to apply who otherwise wouldn't, in hopes of boosting their "selectivity" statistics. But, would they do this to an applicant who meets their higher standards?
Yeah, your fee waiver probably has little to do with your chance of being accepted and everything to do with you being a candidate with a higher index score than 50% of their current student population.
What does this mean?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:49 pm

JDHopeful wrote:
TommyK wrote:
What does this mean?
I don't think that's necessarily true. I doubt my 3.94 and 166 place my admissions index above 50% of the current student populations at UVA or Duke.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:55 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
JDHopeful wrote:
TommyK wrote:
What does this mean?
I don't think that's necessarily true. I doubt my 3.94 and 166 place my admissions index above 50% of the current student populations at UVA or Duke.
Yeah, but you're not in a comparable situation as the OP. The OP has a LSAT that's at the median and a GPA above the 75th percentile. I would imagine that would mean that his index score is above the median of metriculating students.

OP - An index score is something that most schools use to determine if students make the initial cut. INDEX_SCORE = LSAT*lsatMULTIPLIER + GPA * gpaMULTIPLIER

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:57 pm

crap, i meant that his acceptance has little to do with his waiver and all to do with his index score... not the other way around.

That's what I get for wasting my time on the TLS boards while working.

My bad for any confusion.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JDHopeful

Bronze

Post by JDHopeful » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Got it. So does getting the fee waiver and having a good index score mean I have a good shot at being admitted?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:59 pm

JDHopeful wrote:Got it. So does getting the fee waiver and having a good index score mean I have a good shot at being admitted?
Yes, but primarily because of the good index score.

JDHopeful

Bronze

Post by JDHopeful » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:00 pm

awesome; thanks for the clarity

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:19 pm

JDHopeful wrote:awesome; thanks for the clarity
Yeah, i wouldn't really give any credence to the waiver. Just feel good that you're better than most of the matriculating students on numbers alone, so just don't spout racial epithets in your personal statement and you should be in solid shape.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “What are my chances?”