3.84/167 much needed advice please

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
IceCube

3.84/167 much needed advice please

Postby IceCube » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:25 pm

Hello all,

I've been lurking here for several months but this is my first post. Basically, I am looking to apply to the following schools and would appreciate a little guidance from those of you in similar situations.

My LSDAS GPA is 3.84 according to the online calculator (my school does not offer the A+), and my lsat is 167 from the October test (previous 163 from the June '10 test). I don't have amazing extracurricular experience, but I am a member of Omicron Delta Kappa and I did work with ex-convicts struggling with drug addictions.

I would like to apply to:

Virginia - This is my top choice and I would be willing to apply ED to bolster my chances. LSP gives me a Consider for this school, as well as most of the schools ranked 14-7, which doesn't really help me out at all with the decision.

I don't really know if I should apply to other schools in similar positions to UVA like Penn and Mich, or if I should focus on lower ranked schools.

The other schools that I am interested that are more of a target are Vanderbilt and WashU. I am originally from St. Louis, I have most of my family and friends there and wouldn't mind living or working there, but I have heard some troubling things on this board and elsewhere about WashU's job placement currently.

I'm open to suggestions about other schools that I should send off apps to, any advice is greatly appreciated.

MusicNutMeggie

Re: 3.84/167 much needed advice please

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:29 pm

Every cycle is different (and every applicant, of course), but here's my $.02-- UVA is definitely a reach, especially if you're not a VA resident. I had very similar numbers (3.8 on 4.0 scale and a 168) and was rejected outright. That could have been because I didn't do a "Why Virginia?" essay, nor did I apply ED. LSP had me as a "consider" for everything up to T6, but calculator predictions just don't hold true ITE.

I definitely encourage you to apply to WashU-- they gave me a full tuition scholarship, which was a toughie to turn down. I'm at NU now-- got in there and a few other lower T14s, so it can be done. PM me if you'd like more info!

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:41 pm

My understanding is that the employment prospects coming out of WUSTL are a lot better for people who are from St. Louis and want to stay there. Their campus is gorgeous and I bet they would throw lots of money at you.

You're below both medians at UVA, so that is probably not going to happen. You're literally .01 under their GPA median, which sucks, but I still think you're out (sorry). You'd probably have a better shot going ED at Mich, which has a lower GPA median, but I know less about that.

It might be worth trying another retake. If you can get your LSAT up 3 points, you're looking at $$$$ from T14 schools instead of just squeaking in.

IceCube

Postby IceCube » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Thank you all for the input. I definitely plan on applying to WashU. Based on your comments, would it be wise to shift my attention away from UVA ED then? Should I ED to a different school such as Duke or Mich (LSP gives me a Strong Consider w/ ED)? Or should I not ED at all and just see what happens with the various offers?

My refined school list is:

WashU
Vandy
Mich
Duke
UVA (maybe not anymore)
GTown
NU
Cornell

Are those choices more realistic?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:03 pm

I think an ED to Mich would be more realistic (you're above their median for GPA).

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 pm

IceCube wrote:Thank you all for the input. I definitely plan on applying to WashU. Based on your comments, would it be wise to shift my attention away from UVA ED then? Should I ED to a different school such as Duke or Mich (LSP gives me a Strong Consider w/ ED)? Or should I not ED at all and just see what happens with the various offers?

WashU
Vandy
Mich
Duke
UVA (maybe not anymore)
GTown
NU
Cornell

Don't waste your ED on UVA. Illinois is a good second safety behind WashU if you don't mind working in Chicago, and you may be able to pit them against each other w/ negotiation.

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:10 pm

If you have any interest in the west coast or the south, UT and UCLA (and USC) would be good bets, too. If you have work experience, apply to NU.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:13 pm

IceCube wrote:Thank you all for the input. I definitely plan on applying to WashU. Based on your comments, would it be wise to shift my attention away from UVA ED then? Should I ED to a different school such as Duke or Mich (LSP gives me a Strong Consider w/ ED)? Or should I not ED at all and just see what happens with the various offers?

WashU Most Likely In w/$$
Vandy WL/Out
Mich WL/Out
Duke WL/Out
UVA (maybe not anymore) Chance w/ED
GTown WL/Out
NU Chance w/work experience; out, otherwise
Cornell Good Chance

Good list of reaches, but you only have one true match (Cornell) and one (semi)-safety (WashU). Depending on where you want to work, you should add a few T30 safeties.

icouldbuyu

Postby icouldbuyu » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:17 pm

I have the same numbers basically. 3.87/167. When you guys say work experience. Do legitimate internships with major firms on Wall St. count while in UG? Or do you mean full time work after UG?

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:18 pm

icouldbuyu wrote:I have the same numbers basically. 3.87/167. When you guys say work experience. Do legitimate internships with major firms on Wall St. count while in UG? Or do you mean full time work after UG?

For NU, full-time work after undergrad; not before, and not during.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:19 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

WashU Most Likely In w/$$
Vandy WL/Out
Mich WL/Out
Duke WL/Out
UVA (maybe not anymore) Chance w/ED
GTown WL/Out
NU Chance w/work experience; out, otherwise
Cornell Good Chance

Good list of reaches, but you only have one true match (Cornell) and one (semi)-safety (WashU). Depending on where you want to work, you should add a few T30 safeties.

TCR.

Mich's 25th LSAT is a 168...so you're below the 25th. I guess I'd try to ED Mich first, but I'd add a lot more safeties. It looks risky at the entire t-14 to be honest.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:20 pm

IceCube wrote: Should I ED to a different school such as Duke or Mich (LSP gives me a Strong Consider w/ ED)? Or should I not ED at all and just see what happens with the various offers?

You got a shot at Michigan ED, but what are your post-law school goals? If you want to remain in St. Louis, then EDing at a T14 seems like a foolish idea.

Also, you should add some safety schools to your list. The only T14 you have a real RD chance at is Cornell.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:24 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
IceCube wrote: Should I ED to a different school such as Duke or Mich (LSP gives me a Strong Consider w/ ED)? Or should I not ED at all and just see what happens with the various offers?

You got a shot at Michigan ED, but what are your post-law school goals? If you want to remain in St. Louis, then EDing at a T14 seems like a foolish idea.

Also, you should add some safety schools to your list. The only T14 you have a real RD chance at is Cornell.

Boalt's worth a shot. OP is median on LSAT, slightly above on GPA.

IceCube

Postby IceCube » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:22 pm

I should clarify, for post-law school goals I'd be interested in a BigLaw/MidLaw job in a larger city. I don't particularly like the Midwest, but St. Louis was my home and I'd be ok with staying there, but I don't know if I'd really prefer to stay there forever. It would be nice to experience somewhere different, but I wouldn't be unhappy to be in St. Louis is what I mean.

I think I will add UT, Illinois, Emory, William & Mary, UCLA, and USC to flush out the list a little better.

The reason I was looking to ED to a T14 is that I am worried about job placement, much like everyone else. I guess the main question I am having is that, given my numbers, which school would be the most effective use of an ED? Do the schools 11-14 really place that much better than schools like UT, WashU, or Vandy?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Vandy's biglaw placement in the last couple of years is rivaling some lower T14s (C and G). UT is also doing well since the Texas market is faring relatively well.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133396

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:47 pm

IceCube wrote:I should clarify, for post-law school goals I'd be interested in a BigLaw/MidLaw job in a larger city. I don't particularly like the Midwest, but St. Louis was my home and I'd be ok with staying there, but I don't know if I'd really prefer to stay there forever. It would be nice to experience somewhere different, but I wouldn't be unhappy to be in St. Louis is what I mean.

I think I will add UT, Illinois, Emory, William & Mary, UCLA, and USC to flush out the list a little better.

The reason I was looking to ED to a T14 is that I am worried about job placement, much like everyone else. I guess the main question I am having is that, given my numbers, which school would be the most effective use of an ED? Do the schools 11-14 really place that much better than schools like UT, WashU, or Vandy?

Although your LSAT is below the 25th, I'd probably try ED-ing at Mich. Write the two optional essays too, having one be the "Why Mich?"

I'm not sure about Vandy's placement this year, but since it doesn't generally place into New York, I'd feel a lot safer at 11-13.

Return to “What are my chances?”