retake score for HYS? Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
aw43duke

New

retake score for HYS?

Post by aw43duke » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:32 am

I have a 3.76 and a 173 on the Oct test (first time). I'm thinking of re-taking in Dec to get a legitimate shot of HYS. Given that the second score is discounted, what do you think I need to get to in or have a good shot at HYS?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Re: retake score for HYS?

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:37 am

aw43duke wrote:I have a 3.76 and a 173 on the Oct test (first time). I'm thinking of re-taking in Dec to get a legitimate shot of HYS. Given that the second score is discounted, what do you think I need to get to in or have a good shot at HYS?
Well you have A shot at HS right now.
Only retake if you were PTing significantly higher (like 178-9 av.) or you feel you didn't study enough (like everything you got wrong was in one section)
But if those things happened or you misbubbled etc. then retake and with 177+ you have a good shot at all HYS

good luck :)

also, signing up and taking December can't hurt you as long as you're sure you can score just as high

(this is coming from someone though who retook a 173 in october, so I may be biased)

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:42 am

retake

aw43duke

New

Post by aw43duke » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:45 am

@s0ph1e2007

Oh so you had a 173 before Oct and re-took in Oct? Well I'll trust your advice then cause that's exactly my situation. Hope you did well or least didn't hurt you

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 am

DieAntwoord wrote:retake
well my point was if OP studied everything he/she could, and scored above his/her average PT score, then PTing would be detrimental.

obviously my opinion was retake, but then again I had a ridiculously bad experience during my first test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:47 am

aw43duke wrote:@s0ph1e2007

Oh so you had a 173 before Oct and re-took in Oct? Well I'll trust your advice then cause that's exactly my situation. Hope you did well or least didn't hurt you

... well the relevant answer is I'm pretty sure that I scored higher on the test. So, yea study hard, take it in December

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:50 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
aw43duke wrote:I have a 3.76 and a 173 on the Oct test (first time). I'm thinking of re-taking in Dec to get a legitimate shot of HYS. Given that the second score is discounted, what do you think I need to get to in or have a good shot at HYS?
Well you have A shot at HS right now.
How does he have a shot with a 3.76 unless he's a URM? To have anything near a legitimate shot, he should retake and kill the LSAT. I think 178-180 can give some hope.
If it's HYS or bust, retake for sure.

legalmindedfella

Bronze

Post by legalmindedfella » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:52 pm

I am quite literally in the same situation - 3.77/173 - with a similar question, so this seems like the place. I'm intending to submit apps to HS, CCN, & B, along with whatever I get as fee waivers from the lower T14, this week.

I PT'd high 170s, very consistently.

If I were to sign up for a retake in December, hold off on the HS apps, and then try to do significantly better and re-submit to HYS, what would be the implications of that? Most importantly, would it have any effect on my apps to CCNB and other schools not in the top 3, who would see that I'm retaking? How badly would a same/slightly lower score hurt me?

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
DieAntwoord wrote:retake
well my point was if OP studied everything he/she could, and scored above his/her average PT score, then PTing would be detrimental.

obviously my opinion was retake, but then again I had a ridiculously bad experience during my first test.
? i was just responding to op

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:57 pm

Your biggest problem is your GPA. Getting HYS with below a 3.8 is extremely tough. If you are dead set on HYS with that GPA you will have to retake. Otherwise, enjoy columbia or chicago.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:20 pm

legalmindedfella wrote:I am quite literally in the same situation - 3.77/173 - with a similar question, so this seems like the place. I'm intending to submit apps to HS, CCN, & B, along with whatever I get as fee waivers from the lower T14, this week.

If I were to sign up for a retake in December, hold off on the HS apps, and then try to do significantly better and re-submit to HYS, what would be the implications of that? Most importantly, would it have any effect on my apps to CCNB and other schools not in the top 3, who would see that I'm retaking? How badly would a same/slightly lower score hurt me?

If you notice, Stanford almost never sends out acceptances before December (one chunk) and january (next chunk)
so go ahead and send it in and then retake in december

I sent my stanford app in, havent submitted one piece yet (dean cet) so it'll stay incomplete, and am waiting got see what happens with my oct. sitch and then submitting it after i find out regardless with or without an quick letter asking them to wait for my december score.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Your GPA is low for HYS - I would say 175-176 for a decent shot.

aw43duke

New

Post by aw43duke » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:52 pm

legalmindedfella wrote:I am quite literally in the same situation - 3.77/173 - with a similar question, so this seems like the place. I'm intending to submit apps to HS, CCN, & B, along with whatever I get as fee waivers from the lower T14, this week.

Yeah this is exactly what I'm doing. I'm submitting my apps now with my 173 to everything besides HYS. I called Duke and Columbia yesterday and they both said that it's fine to apply with the current score while still re-taking in Dec. Duke actually said that they wouldn't even see that I'm retaking unless I specified (I'm not sure I completely believe this), but Columbia said that it would be fine, all I should do is email them saying to use the current score and not hold my app. I think in general they don't care cause they can process your app now

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”