Does applying ED bind me to attend for all 3 yrs?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
UCLAorbust

Does applying ED bind me to attend for all 3 yrs?

Postby UCLAorbust » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:07 am

I am going to apply to Loyola ED, but am not sure if I get in, I am obligated to attend for all 3 years or if I have the option of transferring after a year. Can I? I probably won't, but would like to have the option. The schools requirements say that if I get in I "cannot initiate new applications", but I don't know if that means for the current term or for all of my law school career.

Anyone know?

whymeohgodno

Re: Does applying ED bind me to attend for all 3 yrs?

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:17 am

No

UCLAorbust

Postby UCLAorbust » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:26 am

ok.....can you tell me where you found that out? i want to double-check before i submit my app.

mst

Postby mst » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:38 am

I'm not going to look it up but I can pretty much back the other guy/gal up: it's not 3 years. Not submitting other applications means that you can't submit other applications that particular cycle AFTER you have been notified of a loyola ED acceptance. And what are you numbers? ED to Loyola basically means sticker at a school with questionable placement, which is definitely a giant risk if you haven't figured it out from the millions of similar posts on this board.

UCLAorbust

Postby UCLAorbust » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:39 am

what do you mean "sticker at a school with questionable placement"? my numbers are 158 lsat, 3.39 gpa.

mst

Postby mst » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:05 am

Sticker: Attending at full price
Questionable placement: Something nearly every law school currently has in the current job market. Loyola is one of these schools.

UCLAorbust

Postby UCLAorbust » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:31 am

I heard that ED hurts chances of financial aid, which I really do need (I got a fee waiver). But I still want to improve my odds because it is a stretch! What do those of you with experience with this pickle recommend? I would rather be at Loyola at full price than at Southwestern with aid. So I am torn.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:32 am

UCLAorbust wrote:I heard that ED hurts chances of financial aid, which I really do need (I got a fee waiver). But I still want to improve my odds because it is a stretch! What do those of you with experience with this pickle recommend? I would rather be at Loyola at full price than at Southwestern with aid. So I am torn.

What happened to UCLA or bust?

UCLAorbust

Postby UCLAorbust » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:40 am

a 158 lsat and 3.3 gpa.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:40 am

UCLAorbust wrote:I heard that ED hurts chances of financial aid, which I really do need (I got a fee waiver). But I still want to improve my odds because it is a stretch! What do those of you with experience with this pickle recommend? I would rather be at Loyola at full price than at Southwestern with aid. So I am torn.

Retake and go to neither.

UCLAorbust

Postby UCLAorbust » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:42 am

i plan to retake and then transfer. i do not want to take a gap year. F#$% that.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:43 am

UCLAorbust wrote:i plan to retake and then transfer. i do not want to take a gap year. F#$% that.

Don't plan on transferring because you probably won't make the grades to.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:44 am

Also if you somehow do transfer, you'll pay full price at wherever you transfer to, which you don't want.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 am

Looks like you busted.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:50 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Looks like you busted.

I lol-ed.

TLS is making me mean.

UCLAorbust

Postby UCLAorbust » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:06 am

*sigh* yeah I did.......

So one more question......preferably from someone who once applied to Loyola ED........I will need financial aid, but I also really need the boost the applying ED will give me to get in. What do y'all recommend? I am really tempted to just do ED, cuz I would rather pay full price there than end up at SW or take a gap year.

Thoughts? Serious, well-informed ones?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:25 pm

ED just means you can't attend another law school the following fall. You could choose not to attend any law school and reapply for the following year, or you could attend that law school and transfer after 1L.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Wait.... ED only means yo cannot go somewhere else that fall?

If you are accepted ED can you decide not to go and apply to other places the next cycle? Or would schools likely ding you just for what you had done?

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:31 pm

bump

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:37 pm

jt1341 wrote:Wait.... ED only means yo cannot go somewhere else that fall?

If you are accepted ED can you decide not to go and apply to other places the next cycle? Or would schools likely ding you just for what you had done?

Definitely to the first question. The ED school would probably ding you the second time around, but that's about it.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:38 pm

im_blue wrote:

Definitely to the first question. The ED school would probably ding you the second time around, but that's about it.

I was under the impression that once you ED you cannot attend another school. I didnt know you could decline an ED offer.

Anyone ever done this and not had it kill your next cycle?

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:43 pm

It won't kill your next cycle. You can mention that your plans have changed or you need to save more money, etc. ED will kill your current cycle but not the next.
You shouldn't go to either of those two schools though and do NOT count on transferring.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:45 pm

jt1341 wrote:
im_blue wrote:

I was under the impression that once you ED you cannot attend another school. I didnt know you could decline an ED offer.

Anyone ever done this and not had it kill your next cycle?

People have done this and it has not killed their next cycle.

But I think it only makes sense to do if your ED was completely ridiculous -- like, you applied ED to a school in the T20 when you stood a good chance at CCN.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:52 pm

rad law wrote:
UCLAorbust wrote:i plan to retake and then transfer. i do not want to take a gap year. F#$% that.

Don't plan on transferring because you probably won't make the grades to.

As someone who did go to a school and transfer up, I can confirm this. The odds of being able to do so are low, I knew of many bright and capable people at my old school who going in I would've fairly assumed could earn the grades to transfer, but for whatever reason, they didn't. I worked my ass off to get where I am, but I also recognize that I could've easily not done well enough to do so. If I'd screwed up just a little more on one more exam, that might've pushed my GPA too low to be able to transfer.

This is true everywhere. Schools try to fill their school with the best students they can get, and everything is graded on a curve, which means you're competing with each other; to transfer, if you need top 10% or better, then you have a 90% chance of failure.

Would you plan on doing anything else in your life that has a six-figure price and a 90% failure rate?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:56 pm

UCLAorbust wrote:*sigh* yeah I did.......

So one more question......preferably from someone who once applied to Loyola ED........I will need financial aid, but I also really need the boost the applying ED will give me to get in. What do y'all recommend? I am really tempted to just do ED, cuz I would rather pay full price there than end up at SW or take a gap year.

Thoughts? Serious, well-informed ones?

If you have numbers that mean you need ED to get in, you probably won't get scholarships with those numbers.

Return to “What are my chances?”