Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby calidancer2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:23 am

After playing with the GPA calculator, I discovered that if I take 15 credits next semester (all fairly easy A classes now since it's my last semester) I can finish my UG career with a 3.695. HOWEVER, if I take one more class (3 credits) I can bump up to a 3.702. Is this worth it, particularly if I'm looking/aiming at T-14s? Or should I give myself a break my last semester of college (NOTE: I AM TAKING A GAP YEAR, HENCE WHY THIS MATTERS) since the change is miniscule?


3.695 vs. 3.702. anyone?

User avatar
treeborn
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby treeborn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:28 am

calidancer2 wrote:After playing with the GPA calculator, I discovered that if I take 15 credits next semester (all fairly easy A classes now since it's my last semester) I can finish my UG career with a 3.695. HOWEVER, if I take one more class (3 credits) I can bump up to a 3.702. Is this worth it, particularly if I'm looking/aiming at T-14s? Or should I give myself a break my last semester of college (NOTE: I AM TAKING A GAP YEAR, HENCE WHY THIS MATTERS) since the change is miniscule?


3.695 vs. 3.702. anyone?


My advice is to just take the easiest 3 credit class you can. I mean, why not increase the GPA if you feasibly can?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:36 am

LSAC GPAs are rounded to 2 decimal places, so you'll probably get a 3.70 either way.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:37 am

Worth it. 3.7 would put you at Cornell's median. I don't think it matters much for other t14 schools since you would still be below their median.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby calidancer2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:56 am

im_blue wrote:LSAC GPAs are rounded to 2 decimal places, so you'll probably get a 3.70 either way.



what do you mean probably?

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:29 am

calidancer2 wrote:
im_blue wrote:LSAC GPAs are rounded to 2 decimal places, so you'll probably get a 3.70 either way.



what do you mean probably?

almost certainly, unless the 3.695 you were quoting before was actually a 3.694X which then rounds to 3.69.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby calidancer2 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:33 am

Ah, thanks. So should I give myself a bit of a break (15 credits) my senior year spring semester while I prep for lsat? i'm so torn.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:49 am

If you'll end up with the exact same rounded GPA, why not take the fewest units possible?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby cinephile » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:21 am

Could you walk in spring for commencement, but actually graduate in the summer session? If so, you could try an easy summer course to boost your GPA.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Splitting hairs with GPA- worth it?

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:47 am

cinephile wrote:Could you walk in spring for commencement, but actually graduate in the summer session? If so, you could try an easy summer course to boost your GPA.


Ask your college duh




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests