Predict my cycle! Semi-reverse splitter edition

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
zephyr36

Predict my cycle! Semi-reverse splitter edition

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:17 pm

LSAC GPA: 4.04
LSAT: 166
Average softs
One above average academic LOR, one average, one extremely strong from an ADA that I worked for.

Looking at:

UCB
MVP
Duke
GULC
UCLA
GW (perhaps ED, I'm not 100% comfortable with the idea of going up to my eyeballs in debt at MVP)
U Washington

Will have apps in by Thanksgiving.

romothesavior

Re: Predict my cycle! Semi-reverse splitter edition

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Berkley is a real possibility.

But retake. A couple of points = huge money at a T10.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:Berkley is a real possibility.

This is my current dilemma. 166 was my PT average before, and I know I wont' be able to put in nearly as much time studying for Dec. I feel like if I get the same score (or worse) I will be at a huge disadvantage in terms of getting my application in early.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:24 pm

zephyr36 wrote:

This is my current dilemma. 166 was my PT average before, and I know I wont' be able to put in nearly as much time studying for Dec. I feel like if I get the same score (or worse) I will be at a huge disadvantage in terms of getting my application in early.

You can apply early and indicate that you are re-taking. Most schools probably won't give you a decision until January, especially since you aren't apply by Thanksgiving.

What were you studying strategies and habits? Re-taking sucks... I know it does. But 3-4 points will bring in the cash at T10 and 7-8 points will open up a shot at the holy grail (HYS). That is potentially life-changing kind of stuff right there, so I think you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Good luck!

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:
zephyr36 wrote:

You can apply early and indicate that you are re-taking. Most schools probably won't give you a decision until January, especially since you aren't apply by Thanksgiving.

What were you studying strategies and habits? Re-taking sucks... I know it does. But 3-4 points will bring in the cash at T10 and 7-8 points will open up a shot at the holy grail (HYS). That is potentially life-changing kind of stuff right there, so I think you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

Good luck!

Went through both bible while taking individual sections from PT25-40 Last month was takings most PTS in 45-60 range (left some out in case I had to retake), and drilled/reviewed on off days. In all my practice I never hit 170.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Shameless bump.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:11 am

If you hit PT average and truly felt you did your best, don't retake. You will still have a great cycle.

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 am

Really, my current dilemma is whether I should ED to UVA or Mich. I would really like UCB, but it sounds like a terrible longshot. Am I better off applying ED to UVA and Mich and potentially being forced to give up the idea of UCB due to a binding ED program?

upalittletoolate

Postby upalittletoolate » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:40 am

zephyr36 wrote:Really, my current dilemma is whether I should ED to UVA or Mich. I would really like UCB, but it sounds like a terrible longshot. Am I better off applying ED to UVA and Mich and potentially being forced to give up the idea of UCB due to a binding ED program?

I know it doesn't really qualify as advice, but I was in a similar boat (166/4.0). It came down to where I wanted to live/do in the long run (DC/Public Interest) so I went UVA ED. I'd already been interested in UVA for the location and small town feel, and a visit up there sold me pretty hard. So try your best to figure out where you want to end up/what you want to do with your law degree (I know that seems like a huge task, but get a rough idea) and then pick a school that fits those needs. The rankings are important, sure, but treat the top schools exactly like they (allegedly) treat their applicants- numbers first, then softs.

Sorry if I rambled- had OP already said what he/she wants to do post-grad?

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:43 am

I think I'm leaning towards where you were as well. Definitely on the DC/Public Interest side. I'd really like to get into the DOJ's honors program eventually.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:58 am

zephyr36 wrote:perhaps ED, I'm not 100% comfortable with the idea of going up to my eyeballs in debt at MVP

Keep in mind that with your numbers, you will definitely be paying full sticker if you ED to Michigan or UVA. I would also consider a retake - for example a 168+ puts you in the running for Chicago or NYU, or possibly scholarship money at a lower T14 like Michigan.

Return to “What are my chances?”