I know it's a longshot but, please help me with this...

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
jj821

I know it's a longshot but, please help me with this...

Postby jj821 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:38 pm

LSAT: 167 (oct 10)
GPA: 3.53 (strong upward trend, mostly due to premed concentration for first three semesters, straight As since then)

U Michigan is my dream school and I know I'm at the 25th %ile in both categories but with the decent softs that I have, good "why mich" essay, and a strong PS and DS (first-generation American, parents immigrated from Middle East, non-URM) do I have a fighting chance at U Mich ED??? Isn't it true that they are more holistic when it comes to evaluating application? Any advice appreciated as I have to make the decision sooner rather than later. Thanks.

whymeohgodno

Re: I know it's a longshot but, please help me with this...

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Sadly no.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:40 pm

jj821 wrote:LSAT: 167 (oct 10)
GPA: 3.53 (strong upward trend, mostly due to premed concentration for first three semesters, straight As since then)

U Michigan is my dream school and I know I'm at the 25th %ile in both categories but with the decent softs that I have, good "why mich" essay, and a strong PS and DS (first-generation American, parents immigrated from Middle East, non-URM) do I have a fighting chance at U Mich ED??? Isn't it true that they are more holistic when it comes to evaluating application? Any advice appreciated as I have to make the decision sooner rather than later. Thanks.

you have a /chance/ at Michigan. Write an awesome DS about first-gen. and who knows.
It's not an awesome chance though.. sorry :(

edit: ridiculous spelling error. ew.

jj821

Postby jj821 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Thanks
The thing is I scored 5 points lower than PT avg on LSAT because of my nerves and panicking during section one LR thereby having to guess six questions and then three more on RC. But, I really don't want to take it over because it was kinda painful the first time. I just thought maybeeee ED could kinda make up for lacking three points needed to reach LSAT 75th %ile. I guess if makes more sense to retake and go for RD...

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:50 pm

jj821 wrote:Thanks
The thing is I scored 5 points lower than PT avg on LSAT because of my nerves and panicking during section one LR thereby having to guess six questions and then three more on RC. But, I really don't want to take it over because it was kinda painful the first time. I just thought maybeeee ED could kinda make up for lacking three points needed to reach LSAT 75th %ile. I guess if makes more sense to retake and go for RD...

yes, retake

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:16 am

If you want Michigan, retake and get a 169+.

jj821

Postby jj821 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:17 am

One more question, I am registered to retake in December, what if I apply ED to Michigan anyway? Do they ignore the ED and hold it for later review or might they make a decision before the December score comes in?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:24 am

They'll give you an ED decision in December - which is probably to defer you to the RD pool.

on_ne_sait_jamais

Postby on_ne_sait_jamais » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:34 am

The best possible thing for you to do, is to do a post-bac and apply to med-school. Even if you get into Michigan, you seriously have no idea how dumb it is to waste 3 years doing law. This is a terrible profession. (and I have an offer at a V20 and I regret going to law school). If I had gotten higher than C- in high school chem and a D+ in high school Alg II, I would drop out right now and do a post bac myself.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:36 am

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:The best possible thing for you to do, is to do a post-bac and apply to med-school. Even if you get into Michigan, you seriously have no idea how dumb it is to waste 3 years doing law. This is a terrible profession. (and I have an offer at a V20 and I regret going to law school). If I had gotten higher than C- in high school chem and a D+ in high school Alg II, I would drop out right now and do a post bac myself.

A 3.5 liberal arts student isn't likely to do well enough in pre-med classes to get into med school.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:40 am

im_blue wrote:
on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:The best possible thing for you to do, is to do a post-bac and apply to med-school. Even if you get into Michigan, you seriously have no idea how dumb it is to waste 3 years doing law. This is a terrible profession. (and I have an offer at a V20 and I regret going to law school). If I had gotten higher than C- in high school chem and a D+ in high school Alg II, I would drop out right now and do a post bac myself.

A 3.5 liberal arts student isn't likely to do well enough in pre-med classes to get into med school.

jj821

Postby jj821 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:47 am

I hated premed, I just wanted the "doctor" title, and that was because I was a 17-year-old idiot deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I actually enjoy studying law, based on the few law-related classes i've taken at ug (and done really well in) and on the internships i've had. plus if i do well enough at a top law school i might make some good money. i'm sorry you're in the position you're in, sucks for you dude.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:48 am

Retake

on_ne_sait_jamais

Postby on_ne_sait_jamais » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:49 am

im_blue wrote:

A) he's already done 3 semesters of pre-med courses B) he will have a significant leg up on other post bac candidates, who spent 0 semesters in pre-med and 8 doing accounting

jj821

Postby jj821 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:51 am

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
im_blue wrote:

A) he's already done 3 semesters of pre-med courses B) he will have a significant leg up on other post bac candidates, who spent 0 semesters in pre-med and 8 doing accounting

but I hate math. and science. and i suck at them. case closed.

on_ne_sait_jamais

Postby on_ne_sait_jamais » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:51 am

jj821 wrote:I hated premed, I just wanted the "doctor" title, and that was because I was a 17-year-old idiot deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I actually enjoy studying law, based on the few law-related classes i've taken at ug (and done really well in) and on the internships i've had. plus if i do well enough at a top law school i might make some good money. i'm sorry you're in the position you're in, sucks for you dude.

I'm sorry you're in the position you're in dude. You're making a decision based on a few law related classes you've taken in UG, you seriously have NO IDEA what you're getting into. Do you understand that for the next 8 years of your life, you will either be running boolean searches and spotting comma splices, doc review, or asinine due diligence. You're completely clueless.

jj821

Postby jj821 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:57 am

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:
jj821 wrote:I hated premed, I just wanted the "doctor" title, and that was because I was a 17-year-old idiot deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I actually enjoy studying law, based on the few law-related classes i've taken at ug (and done really well in) and on the internships i've had. plus if i do well enough at a top law school i might make some good money. i'm sorry you're in the position you're in, sucks for you dude.

I'm sorry you're in the position you're in dude. You're making a decision based on a few law related classes you've taken in UG, you seriously have NO IDEA what you're getting into. Do you understand that for the next 8 years of your life, you will either be running boolean searches and spotting comma splices, doc review, or asinine due diligence. You're completely clueless.

I don't know what leads you to believe I'm jumping in to this without researching exactly what it is I am getting myself into.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:04 am

Take a look at my profile, OP.

I had the same LSAT as you, and a higher GPA (while still low for UM, I had a strong upward trend almost identical to yours). I was waitlisted.

My wait-list, however, could have been because of my weak "Why Mich?" and my failure to make any real connection to the school.

I didn't stay on the wait-list because I got into Berkeley, which I preferred over Mich. for reasons specific to my career interests. So who knows what would have happened had I waited it out.

Anyway, not sure I have a specific point here. Just trying to give you the facts since thee are many similarities to our apps.

Good luck. Posters above are correct, btw: retake if improvement is a real possibility.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:20 am

on_ne_sait_jamais wrote:

I'm guessing you don't have Westlaw Next.

Return to “What are my chances?”