166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Perch » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:59 pm

Hey all, finally my turn. Just retook a 161 and got a 166. What T14 do I seem to have a shot at? I don't really want to ED (though I guess UVA would be the one?). I really like BC, Vandy and my dream school was always NYU.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:05 pm

None in the T14 unless you're a URM.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Perch » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:24 pm

not a URM...good softs/letters of rec. really that slim of a chance huh?

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Best bet would be Cornell since you are above their median of 3.7 gpa but below their 168 LSAT median.

But looking at LSN it's almost definitely a WL.

new2game09
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby new2game09 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:41 pm

my stats were about the same as yours. You're almost definitely locked out of the top 14. But you can probably get some money from somewhere in the top 25. You'll almost definitely get into BC. Vandy might be a stretch though. I did get on Northwestern's wait list though when I applied.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Vandy and NYU almost assuredly aren't happening. Retake.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Perch » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:27 pm

rad law wrote:Vandy and NYU almost assuredly aren't happening. Retake.


I assumed NYU but Vandy you don't think WL then who knows? Given LSN I thought I'd have a shot there.

Thanks for the responses all!

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Perch wrote:
rad law wrote:Vandy and NYU almost assuredly aren't happening. Retake.


I assumed NYU but Vandy you don't think WL then who knows? Given LSN I thought I'd have a shot there.

Thanks for the responses all!

WL sure. But hoping to get off the waitlist isn't really a good choice.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Perch » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:45 pm

also I want to practice in NYC if possible (though will to venture to Boston/DC for awhile) so any and all advice is appreciated.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Grizz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:16 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Perch wrote:
rad law wrote:Vandy and NYU almost assuredly aren't happening. Retake.


I assumed NYU but Vandy you don't think WL then who knows? Given LSN I thought I'd have a shot there.

Thanks for the responses all!

WL sure. But hoping to get off the waitlist isn't really a good choice.


This. For WL just assume reject.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Perch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:17 pm

looking more into it, cornell seems to be a realistic chance...thoughts?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Perch wrote:looking more into it, cornell seems to be a realistic chance...thoughts?


Worth a shot, but probably WL. 2 points below LSAT median.

weejonbu
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby weejonbu » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:21 pm

So what do you guys who are shooting this applicant down say to the ED acceptance at UVA who had a 161 and 3.99?

Yeah, numbers are numbers, but you really think absolutely NO chance with a 3.66 and 3.82???

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/?whichCycle=1011
Last edited by weejonbu on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:22 pm

weejonbu wrote:So what do you guys who are shooting this applicant down say to the ED acceptance at UVA who had a 161 and 3.99?

Yeah, numbers are numbers, but you really think absolutely NO chance with a 3.66 and 3.82???


UVA is known for accepting splitters.

Cornell isn't really a splitter friendly school.

weejonbu
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby weejonbu » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:23 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
weejonbu wrote:So what do you guys who are shooting this applicant down say to the ED acceptance at UVA who had a 161 and 3.99?

Yeah, numbers are numbers, but you really think absolutely NO chance with a 3.66 and 3.82???


UVA is known for accepting splitters.

Cornell isn't really a splitter friendly school.


The point is that UVA is within the T14 last time I checked

sharpnsmooth
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby sharpnsmooth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:24 pm

i disagree he's locked out of t-14. he's out of the top 7 or 8 for sure, but someone else might bite on the gpa. idk if 3.8/166 is so much of a splitter....166 is a pretty good score as high LSAT's are hard to come by. if you look at the top 50, most of the schools have a median GPA well above a 3.5.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:26 pm

weejonbu wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
weejonbu wrote:So what do you guys who are shooting this applicant down say to the ED acceptance at UVA who had a 161 and 3.99?

Yeah, numbers are numbers, but you really think absolutely NO chance with a 3.66 and 3.82???


UVA is known for accepting splitters.

Cornell isn't really a splitter friendly school.


The point is that UVA is within the T14 last time I checked


Are you dumb? The difference between a 3.99 and a 3.82 is HUGE.

The 3.99 boosts UVA's GPA median, the 3.82 drops UVA's median GPA...What possibly could a 3.82/166 contribute to UVA numbers wise? Drops both gpa/lsat medians.

sharpnsmooth
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby sharpnsmooth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:29 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
weejonbu wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
weejonbu wrote:So what do you guys who are shooting this applicant down say to the ED acceptance at UVA who had a 161 and 3.99?

Yeah, numbers are numbers, but you really think absolutely NO chance with a 3.66 and 3.82???


UVA is known for accepting splitters.

Cornell isn't really a splitter friendly school.


The point is that UVA is within the T14 last time I checked


Are you dumb? The difference between a 3.99 and a 3.82 is HUGE.

The 3.99 boosts UVA's GPA median, the 3.82 drops UVA's median GPA...What possibly could a 3.82/166 contribute to UVA numbers wise? Drops both gpa/lsat medians.


is UVA's median really a 3.82? That seems too high. I think that's HYS territory.

also, the diff between being under a median and being above it is relatively huge.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:30 pm

is UVA's median really a 3.82? That seems too high. I think that's HYS territory.

UVA's median for last year was:

UVA 3.85 / 170

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128236

sharpnsmooth
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby sharpnsmooth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:31 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
is UVA's median really a 3.82? That seems too high. I think that's HYS territory.

UVA's median for last year was:

UVA 3.85 / 170

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=128236

that's damn impressive.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:35 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:i disagree he's locked out of t-14. he's out of the top 7 or 8 for sure, but someone else might bite on the gpa. idk if 3.8/166 is so much of a splitter....166 is a pretty good score as high LSAT's are hard to come by. if you look at the top 50, most of the schools have a median GPA well above a 3.5.


Berk could be a hail mary with an interesting story, but yes, 166s generally lock people out of the T14 unless they have 3.9+s and ED to UVA. High GPA are more of a dime a dozen than 99th%tile LSATs.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Perch » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:09 pm

rad law wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:i disagree he's locked out of t-14. he's out of the top 7 or 8 for sure, but someone else might bite on the gpa. idk if 3.8/166 is so much of a splitter....166 is a pretty good score as high LSAT's are hard to come by. if you look at the top 50, most of the schools have a median GPA well above a 3.5.


Berk could be a hail mary with an interesting story, but yes, 166s generally lock people out of the T14 unless they have 3.9+s and ED to UVA. High GPA are more of a dime a dozen than 99th%tile LSATs.


yeah i was pretty bummed to not hit the 168 which was my PT average, but such is life. I'll throw the apps out and who knows. Cornell would be great if I got lucky.

thanks so much all for the input!

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: 166/3.82 Chances at T14?

Postby Deuce » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:08 pm

Not to beat a dead hillary swank here, but you should retake and bump your score up a few if you believe you can.




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 3 guests