PhD/3.5/159 - Illinois still on the table?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BlueArtemis8
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 am

PhD/3.5/159 - Illinois still on the table?

Postby BlueArtemis8 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:48 pm

I have a PhD in a social science field from a top public university, 3.5 undergrad GPA from another top public university with 4.0's my last 2 years in undergrad, but got a 159 on my LSAT (stomach flu may have cost me the mid-160's I was getting on PTs). I also have professional full-time work experience outside of law. Any thoughts on my chances at UIUC?

vsl89
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:49 am

Re: PhD/3.5/159 - Illinois still on the table?

Postby vsl89 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:51 pm

If you can get a PhD, you can get a 170. Retake the LSAT.
As for Illinois, it looks very unlikely: http://illinois.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... ,8&type=jd

User avatar
TCScrutinizer
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:01 pm

Re: PhD/3.5/159 - Illinois still on the table?

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:14 pm

vsl89 wrote:If you can get a PhD, you can get a 170.


BlueArtemis8 wrote:PhD in a social science field


Retake. You have a narrow, narrow outside shot at best, and that's if you applied ED a month ago.

BlueArtemis8
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 am

Re: PhD/3.5/159 - Illinois still on the table?

Postby BlueArtemis8 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:24 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
vsl89 wrote:If you can get a PhD, you can get a 170.


BlueArtemis8 wrote:PhD in a social science field


Retake. You have a narrow, narrow outside shot at best, and that's if you applied ED a month ago.


I did apply ED, but it's still sounding like I should plan on retaking the LSAT. Any consensus on the best prep class? I studied on my own last time, and that was probably a mistake.

mhernton
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: PhD/3.5/159 - Illinois still on the table?

Postby mhernton » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:34 pm

The simple answer is yes. As person that has PhD you are a little older a little wiser and considered a non-traditional candidate. You should retake regardless, but you are really competing with the kids that come straight out of college. You competing against other non-traditional candidates, that add flavor to the incoming classes. I am a URM, have a MBA military service, and significant work experience, I'm also 10 years older than the typical 0L. I had a 2.2 UGPA/ 155 LSAT and got into a top 30 school. Anyone of those factors a combination of them all could have gotten me in. Get your apps in quickly, and be very clear as to why you want to go to law school. My guess is that you'll have as good shot an anyone else.

BlueArtemis8
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 am

Re: PhD/3.5/159 - Illinois still on the table?

Postby BlueArtemis8 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:29 pm

mhernton wrote:The simple answer is yes. As person that has PhD you are a little older a little wiser and considered a non-traditional candidate. You should retake regardless, but you are really competing with the kids that come straight out of college. You competing against other non-traditional candidates, that add flavor to the incoming classes. I am a URM, have a MBA military service, and significant work experience, I'm also 10 years older than the typical 0L. I had a 2.2 UGPA/ 155 LSAT and got into a top 30 school. Anyone of those factors a combination of them all could have gotten me in. Get your apps in quickly, and be very clear as to why you want to go to law school. My guess is that you'll have as good shot an anyone else.


Thnaks mhernton - I really appreciate your response. I'll be sure to post an update to this thread when I find out (one way or another)

BlueArtemis8
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:38 am

Re: PhD/3.5/159 - Illinois still on the table?

Postby BlueArtemis8 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:34 pm

Well everyone, Illinois has weighed in and it's a "no." :| Better luck next year! Thanks for the input everyone, and best of luck to you all :)




Return to “What are my chances?”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests