3.8 GPA 169 LSAT URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Magi228

New

3.8 GPA 169 LSAT URM

Post by Magi228 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:57 pm

Hello TLS,

I have done plenty of my own research regarding what schools I have a chance at getting in to based on my numbers alone, but I have no clue how to judge the weight of my minority status or how likely I am to receive any type of scholarship money.

I have a 3.8 GPA and just scored a 169 on October LSAT. I am a Mexican male. I have letters of recommendation from professors who know me well and who I have worked with in extra-curriculars and independent studies. I am extremely active on campus with leadership positions in several clubs/organizations/honor societies. I have work experience working part time for Social Security Administration, but nothing directly related to law.

Originally I was just planning on attending University of Washington but now I am beginning to consider schools anywhere (so location isn't much of an issue).
Anyone want to help me out and give their opinions on where I could likely get in to? I am interested in seeing at what tiers I am likely to receive any kind of scholarship money.

Thanks in advance!

plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: 3.8 GPA 169 LSAT URM

Post by plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:58 pm

Enjoy YHS.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:23 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Enjoy YHS.
This. Congrats!

Magi228

New

Post by Magi228 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:20 pm

FlightoftheEarls wrote:
This. Congrats!
Really? Somehow I find this hard to believe. I am below both the median GPA and LSAT for all three of these schools. In the case of Harvard and Yale I am below the bottom 25%. Does minority status actually provide that much of a boost or am I just grossly misinterpreting something?

Don't get me wrong, I would be extremely excited to get accepted to any one of these schools (although doubt that I could actually matriculate because of the pricetag). If this is true then I will definitely have to start reconsidering what schools I apply to, as I thought schools like UCLA and Georgetown were a bit of a reach for me.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Based on LSN, there were URMs that got into these schools with your numbers. It is not a lock, but I think it is at least worth the application fee.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:58 pm

Magi228 wrote:
FlightoftheEarls wrote:
This. Congrats!
Really? Somehow I find this hard to believe. I am below both the median GPA and LSAT for all three of these schools. In the case of Harvard and Yale I am below the bottom 25%. Does minority status actually provide that much of a boost or am I just grossly misinterpreting something?

Don't get me wrong, I would be extremely excited to get accepted to any one of these schools (although doubt that I could actually matriculate because of the pricetag). If this is true then I will definitely have to start reconsidering what schools I apply to, as I thought schools like UCLA and Georgetown were a bit of a reach for me.
Tough to tell on hourumd.com because the sample size is relatively small (between 2-3 per school), but URMs with your numbers got into:

Yale 0-3
Stanford 1-1
Harvard 2-0
Columbia 1-2
Chicago 2-0
NYU 2-0

So while my initial post may have been a little generous, it isn't by much. With a well-crafted application, you are competitive at HYSCNN, and very much so at T10 schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”